Racial maps of US cities

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by Essential1

I think we knew this already... Whites pushed Black people, Hispanics into concentrated areas so they didn't have to deal with them, and "live with those kinds".. And until "Real America" (as Conservatives like to call it) recognizes the fiber of this country is racist and all the generations of issues this practice has caused and tries to fix it then the people they try to keep in the lower income section will always have the same problems... Won't hold my breathe for that..
It's human nature to live around people you're familiar with, and race is the biggest factor in that. That's a generality of human beings. However, nobody is making anyone live in certain areas, that's a matter of the individual.
laugh.gif

Please tell me you don't really believe what you just typed.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Damn New York [/color]
indifferent.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] [/color]
30t6p3b.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Bay Area [/color]
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Damn New York [/color]
indifferent.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] [/color]
30t6p3b.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Bay Area [/color]
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

If you find those maps interesting, you may want to check out the Neighborhood Economic Development Advocacy Project's GIS map gallery.  It's a great example of how the basic concept of demographic mapping can be taken to the next level.

In this example, you can see how communities of color are disproportionately affected by the foreclosure crisis and, not coincidentally, targeted for predatory lending products. 

213ekup.jpg

Also of potential interest on this topic, here's a computer model from Northwestern University that demonstrates the effects of individual preference in the formation of settlement patterns:  http://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/models/Segregation

You can adjust the level of preference to see how an area will look if X% of people prefer to live with "their own kind."  Imagine if the preference is greater for one group than another and the impact this might have on housing values for neighborhoods that, consequently, are deemed less desirable or simply have a smaller market.

I think we knew this already... Whites pushed Black people, Hispanics into concentrated areas so they didn't have to deal with them, and "live with those kinds".. And until "Real America" (as Conservatives like to call it) recognizes the fiber of this country is racist and all the generations of issues this practice has caused and tries to fix it then the people they try to keep in the lower income section will always have the same problems... Won't hold my breathe for that..
It's human nature to live around people you're familiar with, and race is the biggest factor in that. That's a generality of human beings. However, nobody is making anyone live in certain areas, that's a matter of the individual.
laugh.gif

He does, sadly.  Perhaps he's never heard of steering or redlining and, if he has, maybe he thinks all institutional racism was instantaneously banished by Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech, after which all lingering disparities became the product of personal choice. 

If you find those maps interesting, you may want to check out the Neighborhood Economic Development Advocacy Project's GIS map gallery.  It's a great example of how the basic concept of demographic mapping can be taken to the next level.

In this example, you can see how communities of color are disproportionately affected by the foreclosure crisis and, not coincidentally, targeted for predatory lending products. 

213ekup.jpg

Also of potential interest on this topic, here's a computer model from Northwestern University that demonstrates the effects of individual preference in the formation of settlement patterns:  http://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/models/Segregation

You can adjust the level of preference to see how an area will look if X% of people prefer to live with "their own kind."  Imagine if the preference is greater for one group than another and the impact this might have on housing values for neighborhoods that, consequently, are deemed less desirable or simply have a smaller market.

laugh.gif

He does, sadly.  Perhaps he's never heard of steering or redlining and, if he has, maybe he thinks all institutional racism was instantaneously banished by Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech, after which all lingering disparities became the product of personal choice. 

Originally Posted by red mpls

laugh.gif

I mean, there is some truth to what he said, but I just think he's looking at it from a different perspective. I don't think he realizes that the reds live in the nicest parts of the city.

Originally Posted by red mpls

laugh.gif

I mean, there is some truth to what he said, but I just think he's looking at it from a different perspective. I don't think he realizes that the reds live in the nicest parts of the city.

I just took a GIS (Geographic Information System) exam earlier.

It's pretty interesting how they demographics really pan out when it's just laid in front of you like that.

I just took a GIS (Geographic Information System) exam earlier.

It's pretty interesting how they demographics really pan out when it's just laid in front of you like that.

Many blacks communities were uprooted by urban renewal and forced migration. The construction of freeway and highway networks through the hearts of many cities in the 1950's produced the most dramatic changes. 

Many blacks communities were uprooted by urban renewal and forced migration. The construction of freeway and highway networks through the hearts of many cities in the 1950's produced the most dramatic changes. 

Back
Top Bottom