Racism at Work

Bet it wasn't the first time he's said something like that and it won't be the last. Just imagine the conversations he has behind closed doors. Really HR, from my experience, wouldn't have done you any good. They're not on your side when it's between you and a higher up or the company.

Bet it wasn't the first time he's said something like that and it won't be the last. Just imagine the conversations he has behind closed doors. Really HR, from my experience, wouldn't have done you any good. They're not on your side when it's between you and a higher up or the company.
HR exists to protect companies from litigation
Not workers from harassment

I just talked to my friend and got their opinion... He basically said is it worth all the trouble just for that one comment? He was saying maybe he just said that just to say ya send me as a person to china not not necessarily saying I'm Chinese...then I told him about the Kaepernick comment and my friend changed his stance and said ya dude is a racist lol...but still said it might not be worth the trouble and said let it slide but if it happens again then say something

Sucks there is no hr.
Can you communicate this to the owner through email or something? It's best that you get some type of paper trail in case of retaliation. You'll atleast give yourself some legal options in case you're fired. May be able to get yourself a little cash.

I just talked to my friend and got their opinion... He basically said is it worth all the trouble just for that one comment? He was saying maybe he just said that just to say ya send me as a person to china not not necessarily saying I'm Chinese...then I told him about the Kaepernick comment and my friend changed his stance and said ya dude is a racist lol...but still said it might not be worth the trouble and said let it slide but if it happens again then say something

Your friend white?

sounds like a small company.. unfortunately it doesn't seem like anything will happen even if you told the owner

Lol yep my friend is white but he ain't racist... asked my mom her opinion and her exact words don't say anything trust me

if you lack an inhouse HR department, then you're def a small company. Also no union, and you're a fairly new hire going against someone with tenure and probably part of the good ol boys gang in the company. If it bothered you all that much, then start looking for another employment.

Should I say something to the owner or no?

No.

The owner already knows.

Company / corporate culture starts at the top.

HR is not, nor have they ever been, at the service of the employee.

HR represents the interests of the employer.

Put your efforts elsewhere, hit up LinkedIn, and move on to a better, higher paying position.

Start send out that resume like:

kermit-typing.gif

Might still be racist at the new job but at least you'll be moving up while continuing your search for an (overtly) racism / racist free workplace.

Actions speak louder than words...and success is the best revenge.

If you feel its racist then its racist. Trust your gut!

Good Luck!

Can you tell me if this is a racist comment or I’m just being overly sensitive? This warehouse manager comes to my department and there’s 3 people there including me, another coworker and my supervisor… He is complaining about how our vendor in china is stacking the pallets too high and damages the product on the bottom…Then he says we need someone in China to work with him whos referring to our China vendor… Why don’t we send <my name> over there? I reply back saying there’s no need to be racist…everyone is in denial including the warehouse manager… I’m thinking I should say something to the owner since we don’t have HR here… He probably said that because I’m Asian and from what I have seen one of two minorities in the whole office which is 30 people…

There’s no doubt in my mind the dude is a racist and my supervisor as well… The warehouse manager and me were talking about sneakers one day… He said I would never let my son wear Nikes… I said why he said because Nike supports Colin Kaepernick kneeling and disrespecting the flag…my supervisor chimes in and says she wouldn’t let her son wear Nikes either…. And she said who does he think he is to kneel and disrespect the flag? that’s some righteous BS… I was thinking to myself these 2 people are so racist… but I didn’t pay any mind and kept to myself since it didn’t involve me and I was still new at my company so didn’t want to start anything…

Should I say something to the owner or no?
this whole *** story is one of the reoccurring examples of the mandatory ethics course that we take yearly at my work. Yes, that's all racist lol

ya its no surprise really... I looked around when I first started and now that I been here almost 2 years later majority if not everybody is white including recent hires... two people are minorities me being Asian and a black guy that works shipping in the warehouse....

but yes I'll definitely work on my resume... like I said they don't give raises so I was thinking of leaving regardless but this gives me more reason/motivation to find a new gig asap

Yeah stay cordial and plot your exit. You can gather evidence if you're going to go the legal route post employment which seems way more successful than on the job complaints.

Are you going to use them as a reference? Need to keep things cool if you want a positive one.

Are you going to use them as a reference? Need to keep things cool if you want a positive one.

no I'm not initially... I'm a be applying to jobs while still at my current company.... don't need new companies that might hire me call my current job... I'll use them as a reference If I get a new job which will be a few years down the line

Last edited:
no I'm not initially... I'm a be applying to jobs while still at my current company.... don't need new companies that might hire me call my current job... I'll use them as a reference If I get a new job which will be a few years down the line

Some companies don't care and will still call your current job. I would be very clear in any interview that you would prefer that they not contact your current employer until after you have an offer in hand. Make sure you have good contacts at your previous job (pre racist company) so when they call them the new company won't see the need to call your current employer.

Of course I'm a tell them not to contact my current job... my current job doesn't need to know I'm looking for a new job... I'm not really worried about references... because they can only ask or confirm dates of employment from my old jobs

Only not racist if you were wearing a shirt that said send me back to China.

That doesnt sound like a good work environment OP, raise hell if you have to and look for a new gig if you feel anymore uncomfortable afterwards.

Thanks DC I considered the offer but I'm good lol.... I'm a tell the owner when I leave for the day... less stress doing something at the end of the day... not sure if anything will happen but I just want them to know they can't be saying stuff like that to coworkers.... Don't really care if I'm going over my supervisor... This just gave me reason to look for a new job sooner rather than later.... I was already planning it but might have to immediately... before today's situation I wanted to leave anyway because my company don't give raises or even have goals period...

I'm just going to tell you, from my personal experience, the stress of enduring racism at work isn't worth any type of money. if that stuff really gets to you, causes you stress, anxiety, anger, etc. it ain't worth it.

being angry is exhausting above all else. so i'd say don't even let it get to that point.

and I say there is not dollar equivalent because stress will catch up with you eventually. one way or another.

and retaliation is real, so move with caution. that said, I'm not saying keep ya mouth shut either, I get it. if people are acting outta pocket, silence doesn't really solve anything.

look for another job asap if that is the type of energy you gotta deal with. and there is no shame in quitting (you won't qualify for unemployment, might depend on state tho).

Back
Top Bottom