Random American Histroy X question???

So I'm sitting here lacing up my LB9 Freegums getting ready to play some basketball and I guess the black/white color makes me think of American History X.  Anyway did anyone find it odd that the white supremacists were playing basketball in the movie?  I was always flabbergasted by that scene, did Ed Norton's character play ball before his dad died in the fire?  Or they just threw that in there?

venice beach has a very well known basketball court
they could have played handball but bball is more team oriented? i think

That scene doesn't stand the test of time.
We all know white supremacists do not play basketball...they're all on Xbox LIVE playong COD.

Yeah... Venice beach's court holds significance. And I think that the scene shows his sense of comraderie within the skinhead movement... 
I always thought that game-winning alley-oop was ridiculous, though. Norton has springs like that, huh 
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Je Ne Sais Quoi

That scene doesn't stand the test of time.
We all know white supremacists do not play basketball...they're all on Xbox LIVE playong COD.

lol

If anything, white supremacists playing basketball makes a lot of sense. They're probably angry at the success of black athletes playing the sport, so they want to prove they're superior ball players.

yeah cause basketball was invented by an african american guy...

cmon now... it's a sport made to be enjoyed by all

Originally Posted by Big J 33

If anything, white supremacists playing basketball makes a lot of sense. They're probably angry at the success of black athletes playing the sport, so they want to prove they're superior ball players.
ohwell.gif
no

I don't know for me it was like if I were to watch Menace II Society, I wouldn't expect Kane and O-Dog to be at the nearest rodeo.  I guess you can say that basketball was created by a white man, but is just dominated by athletes of other race.

Whats wrong with them playin ball? Just another thing for them to try and prove that they are better. Either way that's a great movie

I see 4'11 Hispanic guys that usually play soccer at the courts all the time. Not really that far fetched to think that white supremacists can enjoy some pick up too. 

Originally Posted by humpasaurus rex

I don't know for me it was like if I were to watch Menace II Society, I wouldn't expect Kane and O-Dog to be at the nearest rodeo.  I guess you can say that basketball was created by a white man, but is just dominated by athletes of other race.

i mean i guess i understand your logic but...no 
laugh.gif

Edit:

in a thread about white supremacy, this ad pops up 
roll.gif
 Huey was right 
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by RetroSan

Originally Posted by humpasaurus rex

i mean i guess i understand your logic 
As do I. Probably what the director was trying to do was put some irony in it? I mean that doesn't seem far-fetched. 
ohwell.gif

I agree with OP.

It only makes sense to stick to the sport that your race dominates.

/thread

Anyone else want to see Norton's character fight Tyler Durden?  Norton looked beastly in American History X.

Doubt there was a NASCAR racetrack around so they had to play hoops

I see the OP's point.

In the movie prior to them invading the grocery store, Derrick (Ed Norton) walks up to another skinhead and makes some remark about how only blacks smoke weed and to "put that +!# out."

It's pretty well known that basketball is dominated mainly by african americans. I guess he was sort of being a hypocrite by insinuating that the guy can't smoke weed because blacks can't; meanwhile he's playing a sport that's more prevalent in black culture than it is in white culture.

However, he did make it a territorial issue when they made the wager. So I don't know about the history of that Venice Beach park/court, maybe it historically a white area and he was trying to once again segregate it?

The character was a freakin WHITE SUPREMACIST...with RACIST TATTOOS!!!   He was there because he was trolling.

Plain and simple, he was out looking for trouble.

Originally Posted by dankenstien88

The character was a freakin WHITE SUPREMACIST...with RACIST TATTOOS!!!   He was there because he was trolling.

Plain and simple, he was out looking for trouble.
This.

I think Norton's character was a legitimate fan of the game of basketball. Doesn't he debate with the black guy in prison about Bird vs. Magic and takes the side of Magic?

Basketball was originally an "all white" sport. The NBA was around for several years before the first African -American player (Earl Loyd) was allowed to play on a team. The movie shows the tension as black athletes began to dominate and white people had to deal with it. This actually happened way earlier in history then the time period when the movie happened. Its kinda like The 80s Celtics vs the Showtime Lakers. You have the "old school" Larry Bird/Kevin Mchale vs the young, flashy Showtime guys. They were actually around the same ages but they represented the old style vs the new style. You even hear the debate in jail when the Norton's character is talking to that dude while doing laundry. I feel like I "went in" too much on this question, my bad.

Back
Top Bottom