Rant......

My first thread since NT has changed.....

My parents think im setting myself up to be a failure, and they are deeply disappointed.

Although they dont say it, it shows in their facial expressions. Plus other relatives come to me from time to time with the same ol' advice "Please finish school and get a degree so your dad will be happy, he keeps telling stories about you."

Here lies the problem. I used to be a great scholar (Im Asian, since it def matters). Good grades, got accepted into several awesome colleges....blah blah....Since my Freshman days in college I started to slowly dislike school. Mainly due to the fact, that the college program conflicts my idealology.....I walked into the new college life filled with disappoinments. Nothing excited me.

What made matters worse, is witnessing my "friends" switching majors every other day, dropping out, graduating without jobs,....

And these past months I've given up. I have 2 current businesses going on with my friends and they are going well. We are planning to venture out to other businesses and that is what kept me going everyday. I love being a businessman. I like the high-risk, high-return factor. It thrills me. And the successful outcome is what keeps me going daily.....

I have saved up a large lump sum of cash. Our businesse were able to yield some handsome return. And I want to expand my horizon....My ultimate goal is to retire my parents early in 3-5 years (they retire in 10 years)

But my parents do not see that. My father's words always repeat in the same manner "Get your degree so you'll never be a slave and out of a job". When I tried to reason with him mentioning my business plans, he still insists "Get your degree, just leave it there as a back up plan, and do whatever you want after....you'll thank me later"

I understand he's part of the working class and of the previous generation, so none of what I say matters to him, or likewise. But I strived daily, to just make it there, so my parents can retire early, so they are no longer disappointed, and they can be proud of what I can accomplish and tell their Asian friends what i do, instead of being so ashamed that I have not finished school.

And thats what gets under my skin....I work hard. I do what I have to do to get there. But my father always looks at my businesses as a joke. As something impulsive that I do for fun. That it would not last.....and I am just FRUSTRATED....

I have a great family and i love every one still tho.....

OP ultimately you have to do what's going to make you happy and being that you come from a loving family they will support you even though they may not agree with your decision. Seems like you have your mind made up and that should be enough to keep you going. It may be rough seeing them disappointed but its your life, not theirs.

its your leyefe mr. asian, do wat you wanna do...

What kinda busines you on?

DOUBLE ENTONDRAW, DONT ASK ME HOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How old are you? Kind of sounds as if you think you have it all figured out...

I remember that phase..

dont know whats the problem. maybe you're ethnicity has something to do with it...

if i'm making paper, my people would say to hell with school. :lol:

and if they didnt, the hell that has to do with me? if they want to shun me, aight...

i'm not going to hold against them in the future cuz i know they love me, they're just looking at my future differently than what i am...

ALL IN ALL... go get that money...

and if they have a problem, just sidestep it. dont even talk to them about the future...

and bring a big booty black girl home... that will REALLY piss them off...

:pimp: :pimp:

OP ultimately you have to do what's going to make you happy and being that you come from a loving family they will support you even though they may not agree with your decision. Seems like you have your mind made up and that should be enough to keep you going. It may be rough seeing them disappointed but its your life, not theirs.

Appreciate the support. I definitely have made up my mind and sticking to it. But it frustrates me from time to time so i vent here and there.

I definitely expected a "get a blog" reply tho 8)

Not looking for advice, just want to share and if you can relate or want to chime in, please do.

didnt really read
but do what makes you happy
you dont want to disappoint your peeps but you cant live for them neither
as long as you aint gangbangin and dope slanging they will learn to accept your decisions

To be honest I skimmed a lot of it... but your family will be speaking from experience and will probably want the best for you. But that doesn't make their suggestions right for you.

At the end of the day, it's your life. Do what makes you happy. 

I just say follow your dreams and live a happy life. Do what you want, but be smart at the same time. Think everything through before you do it. Its the real world now and your future depends on it. Good luck. 

Diddy bopping to the last 4 replies :pimp: thanks fellas

And sorry for the wall of texts....its ok if u didnt read :lol: honesty is what counts

im 24

Last edited:

Show them the $, that usually changes everything.

And as much as you may not want to hear it, they are offering you sound advice about getting the degree. I stalled off college to pursue entrepreneurial ventures that didn't pan out and had to finish off my degree anyway. As soon as I got the degree doors opened up for me.

But if your business is successful and you're enjoying the journey, screw everyone's opinion and do your thing. They are just going to have to deal with your life path and they will eventually warm up to it when the see tangible fruits of your labor.

Its your life to live and you're the only one that will have to deal with that murky feeling in your gut that comes from deferring your dreams.

On the other hand you will be the one that will have to bear the consequences of falling behind "the pack" if your business falls short and you have to finish your degree anyway.

My advice...weigh your options, use your intelligence and intuition and follow the most financially and emotionally lucrative path.

Your loved ones will come around eventually.

you can handle both. just get a degree to satisfy them, it shouldn't be too hard. keep your focus on your business though. i don't see a problem here

1) Who is paying for school? Or are you on a scholarship?
2) You're 24 and haven't graduated - are you talking MBA?
3) Can you do both, especially if tied to financial reasons.
4) Treat the degree as a hedge. Worst case scenario - your business fails and you have nothing to fall back on. Best case - you meet the goals you set, have a successful business and a degree for even furthering said business.

1) Who is paying for school? Or are you on a scholarship?
2) You're 24 and haven't graduated - are you talking MBA?
3) Can you do both, especially if tied to financial reasons.
4) Treat the degree as a hedge. Worst case scenario - your business fails and you have nothing to fall back on. Best case - you meet the goals you set, have a successful business and a degree for even furthering said business.

1) I am paying for school. I used to get Financial Aid, but now i pay for everything
2) No, still undergrad.
3) Yes I can. $ isnt an issue. Its my point of view. I look at school as an obstacle, as something thats slowing me down drastically. And you know how it is once your view on something changes, its quite contagious.
4) I guess i answered with 3)

Just make sure if your business isn't working out to not waste any more time on it and do something else...you don't want to get stuck with a failing business into your later years.

Just make sure if your business isn't working out to not waste any more time on it and do something else...you don't want to get stuck with a failing business into your later years.

See this is what my parents fear, not I. I am confident in what I do. I never put all my eggs in 1 basket anyways....always looking for new opportunities with my friends.

But i totally get what u mean.

I see u talking about business plans with friends... find a plan for yourself if u want to keep your friends. Nothing drives a friendship in the ground like money and women. Like others have said, it's your life, do what makes u happy as long as its not hurting the next man

listen to them. why would u want to dissapoint your father?

he wants u to get a degree im sure u can dedicate 4 years of ur life to accomplish something that will not only benefit you but also make ur father feel like hes on top of the world.

the world is much better when people are educated

Pops trying to put you on that slowlane. Take my advice and go get the book The Millionaire Fastlane and thank me later. Just take my advice man...

Oh, and keep up your own business. Nobody, weather you have a degree or not, is going to pay you like you'll pay yourself.

With your own business, nobody's telling you how much you get per year or hour, nobody's telling you when to work or how to work. You make all the rules. That's how you live life.

Back
Top Bottom