Rapper Friends (NO HATE)

As long as one is handling his business and has no kids/family that they aren't supporting to chase a rap dream...I say let these dudes cook.

The ones that are delusional enough to think that they can make it rapping usually are the ones that make it. It's not realistic for ANYONE to get into the industry.

Plus nowadays with social media, you can make a living with a few regional hits and just doing club tours/appearances in your few little states. You don't have to go platinum to make a living off rap.

Granted, USPA Big Horse Fella probably ain't gonna ever get past this being a hobby, but even if it's not for me, a couple hundred thousand people seem to be rocking with it so who am I to tell him not to have fun, especially if he has a lil audience?

Sometimes you just gotta let ****** live. If I had a homie who was trash, I'd let him know straight up so there's no surprise when he plays it for people who don't give a damn about him; but I'd let him know if support his grind.
I hear you bra. I've let him know his flow and cadence is super slow and boring at times but hasn't deterred him from making music. That video they made was on some were bored and his roommate has one of those 4K video cameras.

Set the record straight also those big pony polo's are tacky AF but they are Ralph Lauren. Not USPA. Definitely not my style they had a wave for like a year in my area.

Usually? Really?

You know how many fools are delusional enough to think they will make it? And you are telling me those are the ones that USUALLY make it? Not at all, even then you are looking at a very small minority. Think about what you just typed there man

I heard 50 Cent I think say something like that once.

Think about it. If you're the type to have a backup plan, you're already kinda setting yourself up for failure. You know that if you fail at music, you still gonna be alright. You're not going as hard as the dude who is putting everything into it and has nothing left other than music.

Not to mention, while you're working on a plan B someone is getting ahead on their plan A.

Everyone thinks they CAN make it but very few people are delusional enough to where they are spending every moment that they are awake trying to get it. Big difference between those two types of people right there.

And that applies to much more than trying to become a rapper. If you got a goal, it's counterproductive to acknowledge failure. That's a form of delusion, but it's "good" delusion. :lol: if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Re: G Eazy I wasn't gonna name drop him, but I've seen him go from college struggle rapper to rap star so i cosign this statement

Yep.

At some point, everyone has to be "local".

Until you catch a hit, co-sign or people look around and see you have a fan base so it's "ok" to like you now...you're just that bum ***** peddling SoundCloud links down the TL.

I completely disagree with the, "If you have a goal, don't acknowledge the failure rate" logic.

Would you not tell a high school basketball player that he has probably less than a 1% chance of playing D1 basketball? Sure I would, he needs to know that so he can bust his butt knowing someone else is always out there working and looking to take one of those few available scholarships.

You have to acknowledge how rare of an opportunity "making it" is.

Knowing the probability is NOT the same thing as thinking you are going to fail

Everyone thinks they CAN make it but very few people are delusional enough to where they are spending every moment that they are awake trying to get it. Big difference between those two types of people right there.

And that applies to much more than trying to become a rapper. If you got a goal, it's counterproductive to acknowledge failure. That's a form of delusion, but it's "good" delusion.
laugh.gif
if that makes sense.
Yea see, this is where I can't agree. There are PLENTY of dudes that are delusional enough to spend all of their time and resources into trying to make it that FAIL. I grew up with a few of them. What you are saying sounds noble but you are refusing to acknowledge the will power and drive of THOUSANDS of failure type situations man. 

Sure you hear about the dudes that make it that pour EVERYTHING into it, but there are 100x as many that do the same thing that just don't make it. EVERYONE can't make it and making it doesn't mean you have worked harder than the next man that didn't make it.

Last edited:
I been involved in local hip-hop my whole life basically, seen 3 or 4 rappers go from local to famous...but this dude was terrible and switched styles a few times til he found one that worked...no shade to him

Yep.

At some point, everyone has to be "local".

Until you catch a hit, co-sign or people look around and see you have a fan base so it's "ok" to like you now...you're just that bum ***** peddling SoundCloud links down the TL.

Clowns I went to high school with 28 and in their moms basement.

Bonus: Video recorded in one of their moms basements.

More infatuated with a designer belt than getting a career and getting on with their life type of cats.

Last edited:
In my lifetime, I've known about 10 dudes who have been trying to get into the rap game.

There are way to many political factors that effect the probability of becoming a well-established rapper. ESPECIALLY if you live in NY. The probability is equivalent to that of winning lotto with the big money. Who do you know? How much resources are you wiling and able to exhaust? Are you paying for spins? Is your music similar to that of what is trending now?

I think its hard to really expect anyone in your pool of friends to become the next Drake, J Cole, or Kendrick. And even then, rappers with lesser followings are few and far in-between. Unless a well establish rapping mogul takes 20seconds out of their busy schedule <Sarcasm>, to hear your verse (aka, sees you as marketable), you might be emptying your pennies into a bottomless well. 

Rap fans are too fickle to buy into a new act. People say to just simply support the person, but it's never that simple. Music taste has always been a sociological concept. People are going to be apprehensive to something that isn't as well received by the majority. So it may just be that his music sucks, but add on to the fact that nobody knows about it, and people will not pay close attention to it. 

I have a few friends that rap. A couple are coo, one was hot garbage and I told him. He got mad a blocked me on social media and stopped messin wit me. Didn't feel bad, and he eventually stopped rappin. Homie sells cars now....

A lot of the times these guys just don't have an ear for good music (not even whats hot). Whack beats and rapping through a wash cloth doesn't help. Also got to stop with the ****** videos. Spend more money on engineering.

This...

Everyone not gonna be Drake...

Your boy doesn't have to have number one records to make a living off of making music.
My homie had a 6 figure deal as a ghost writer, so he say, once upon a time. Stepped out of it because of the mess of what the music industry is

Sure you hear about the dudes that make it that pour EVERYTHING into it, but there are 100x as many that do the same thing that just don't make it. EVERYONE can't make it and making it doesn't mean you have worked harder than the next man that didn't make it.
true ****. 

it's not just about working hard. life is ruthless and the music business is even worse. 

look at how many talented rappers who actually have a little fame and a name and are still struggling.  

I have a rapper friend, one of close friends actually. I think he's actually pretty good. The thing is even though he dropped out of school to pursue rap, he doesn't treat it like it's a job, but treats it like a hobby, doesn't release music consistently, doesn't market well other than tweeting some links, and won't do the things needed to really take steps forward then turns around and says his goal is to not have to work by the end of the year. But he seems to be enjoying himself, so good for him.

Last edited:
I have a rapper friend, one of close friends actually. I think he's actually pretty good. The thing is even though he dropped out of school to pursue rap, he doesn't treat it like it's a job, but treats it like a hobby, doesn't release music consistently, doesn't market well other than tweeting some links, and won't do the things needed to really take steps forward then turns around and says his goal is to not have to work by the end of the year. But he seems to be enjoying himself, so good for him.

This dude is talented no doubt about it.

If you think getting a job is about who you know, the music industry is even worse, especially in hiphop/rap/rnb. Some dudes are talented but don't appeal to a wider audience, lack work ethic, etc etc. Now promotion falls solely on the artist at this point because there are so many avenues to get your music out there, but it still has to hit the right hands.

And let's be honest, some dudes just don't have it. Whether it's basic bars, terrible beat selection, whatever, it just aint happenin for em and as a friend, you need to tell em that.

I have a friend from high school that's trying to do the same thing. https://m.soundcloud.com/sqvce
I haven't spoke with him lately but from the looks of it he's gaining a bit of a fanbase in our state so far.

All you really need is one song to pop off and you're basically in. I mean look at Fetty Wap, Trap Queen became huge and see what happened to him.

I have a friend from high school that's trying to do the same thing. https://m.soundcloud.com/sqvce
I haven't spoke with him lately but from the looks of it he's gaining a bit of a fanbase in our state so far.

All you really need is one song to pop off and you're basically in. I mean look at Fetty Wap, Trap Queen became huge and see what happened to him.
15 minutes.

His fall from Mt. Olympus is inevitable.

Damn y'all some yes men. I need to do a friend check and record a trash song just to see if they tell me the truth.

Back
Top Bottom