Reading List for a Newbie Econ major vol. Suggestions?

I just became an Economics major in Dec. and was wondering what books could give me a firmer grasp and more interesting insight on the history as well as the
modern theory of this "dismal discipline" outside of the Mankiw textbook. Also, to any upperclassmen/graduates of the major how would you describe your experiences with Econ?

I just became an Economics major in Dec. and was wondering what books could give me a firmer grasp and more interesting insight on the history as well as the
modern theory of this "dismal discipline" outside of the Mankiw textbook. Also, to any upperclassmen/graduates of the major how would you describe your experiences with Econ?

Lehmann Bankruptcy Report 
Spiegel's Bankruptcy Report 

77183835.JPG

%7B1D7FA808-91CF-4567-91DA-652169357FF7%7DImg200.jpg

Just for starters. Some real world economics.

Get to to reading. DOn't worry so much about the textbooks. 

Griftopia seems interesting 
laugh.gif
but thank you for your help.
Would you suggest the Freakonomics books or are they more for leisure?

Griftopia seems interesting 
laugh.gif
but thank you for your help.
Would you suggest the Freakonomics books or are they more for leisure?

Does anyone know books that deal with economics on a global scale and not just the American system. I'm really interested in economic development ("Third world").

Does anyone know books that deal with economics on a global scale and not just the American system. I'm really interested in economic development ("Third world").

I think Sachs over at Harvard putting something out, "The End of Poverty" but of course, it's very ideologically biased.

You should probably read a few text books, then you can start checking out more opinionated stuff and see the bias more clearly. Paul Krugman publishes an excellent beginners micro text and Abel, Kane, Bernanke's Macro book is pretty damn good.

As a soon to be graduate, here are a few tips I have for you:

-Don't succumb to free market zealots, keep an open mind
-Decide whether or not you really love math (the basis of econ now is econometrics)
-Read out of class. Even the best econ courses can't cover everything.

Also, as far as careers go, you have many many options, but private or public, a graduate degree is a must.

I think Sachs over at Harvard putting something out, "The End of Poverty" but of course, it's very ideologically biased.

You should probably read a few text books, then you can start checking out more opinionated stuff and see the bias more clearly. Paul Krugman publishes an excellent beginners micro text and Abel, Kane, Bernanke's Macro book is pretty damn good.

-Decide whether or not you really love math (the basis of econ now is econometrics)

Also, as far as careers go, you have many many options, but private or public, a graduate degree is a must.

Originally Posted by Nyota de la star

The World is Flat - Thomas Friedman

Originally Posted by Nyota de la star

The World is Flat - Thomas Friedman

Originally Posted by secretzofwar

happy.gif
Thanks for the advice. May I ask what you're specializing in?

Originally Posted by secretzofwar

happy.gif
Thanks for the advice. May I ask what you're specializing in?

Originally Posted by Grizzlyboy

Capitalism_and_Freedom_Fortieth_Anniversary_Edition-119190018577289.jpg

Don't read this crap.

Read these:

Begin with this.

0517548232.jpg

Then this...

HumanActionBook.jpg

Then after you read that, read this...

51Em01CeumL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And who ever says you need to be "good at math" in order to understand economics is lying.

If you read these books, you will understand how business cycles work and what the real forces and market mechanisms are. Every Austrian economist since Carl Menger predicted EVERY Recession and Depression.

Back
Top Bottom