Ready Player One Thread|Ready Player Two Book OUT NOW|

Yo I'm so hyped for this. Nobody really understands how much of an 80's movie and pop culture nerd I am. Loved the book. Can't wait to be oooh-ing and ahhh-ing over the Easter eggs and references.

75552634.jpg

Saw it last night. They changed A LOT of things from the book but I still feel like it was a great movie. The book relied so much on the nostalgia factor to reel you in, the movie has more of the nostalgia in the background. Its not so heavy handed in that aspect, also the movie has a really fast pace. It was dope though! Looking forward to seeing more opinions on it once more people see it.

Yeah, that's the thing... we're all geeky, nerdy gamers in here who like pop-culture... but what to regular folk think? I'm curious about that. I have friends who aren't into any of that and probably haven't seen half of the referenced movies... will they enjoy as much? That'll be interesting.

Is IMAX/3D worth it for this?

I'm wondering if I should Movie Pass or Fandango it.

I wish we got it on IMAX. They're saving those screens for Pacific Rim.
Giant screen makes life easier for spotting those Easter eggs!

Is IMAX/3D worth it for this?

I'm wondering if I should Movie Pass or Fandango it.
I felt like the 3d took away from it for me. Doesn't seem like they made the movie for 3D so you end up missing some of the easter eggs in the background because its blurred when things are in the foreground. So if I had to do it again, I would see it on non 3d first.

Also, for those wondering about the GP seeing it if they'll like it, YES! Its that throwback Spielberg magic, I felt like a little kid watching a movie from the 80s. It's not so heavy handed with the nerdisms, but its deep with the visual queues and little easter eggs they throw in there. So its got something to keep everyone happy

Yes it is totally worth it

My little sister seemed interested, probably go catch it in IMAX 2D Saturday. Watched it last night in a regular cinema and the CGI kinda’ had an Avatar look/feel so I can only imagine in IMAX.

:lol:I'm honestly hoping my hype levels go down, since I'm seeing again in IMAX3D again with my wife
but I did get that first avatar experience vibe going. I thought the CGI and special effects were great, but then again I could be swept up in the moment.

I can say seeing it monday for free in IMAX3D I thought it was great and it makes me feel better about shelling the actual money out for it tomorrow night.

Yeah, that's the thing... we're all geeky, nerdy gamers in here who like pop-culture... but what to regular folk think? I'm curious about that. I have friends who aren't into any of that and probably haven't seen half of the referenced movies... will they enjoy as much? That'll be interesting.

My girl really enjoyed it, mind you she’s slightly cultured in regards to the 80’s movies because of her parents. Her only “gaming” background is CoD Zombies, the only thing she ever enjoyed playing with me! :lol: I honesty believe the people who will enjoy the movie the most will be those who are into the 80’s-00’s culture, gamers, & anime.

:lol:I'm honestly hoping my hype levels go down, since I'm seeing again in IMAX3D again with my wife
but I did get that first avatar experience vibe going. I thought the CGI and special effects were great, but then again I could be swept up in the moment.

I can say seeing it monday for free in IMAX3D I thought it was great and it makes me feel better about shelling the actual money out for it tomorrow night.

IMAX 3D again though? I like 2D, I can’t do anything in 3D! :lol: Movie was dope, I figured it would look so futuristic with Spielburger’s behind it! I had a $26 value Groupon that I paid $13 for, but I ended up using it on Infinty War 2D IMAX for a second showing that weekend of. I got a regular screening for the night of the 26th, but I like the recliners so it’s my go-to.

IMAX 3D again though? I like 2D, I can’t do anything in 3D! :lol: Movie was dope, I figured it would look so futuristic with Spielburger’s behind it! I had a $26 value Groupon that I paid $13 for, but I ended up using it on Infinty War 2D IMAX for a second showing that weekend of. I got a regular screening for the night of the 26th, but I like the recliners so it’s my go-to.

:lol::lol:The showing on monday had no inclination that it would be in IMAX or in 3D, in fact they had 2 seperate lines for my showing one in front of the IMAX theater and then a continuation of that line in another part of the theater, so it led me to believe that something like Pacific Rim 2 was showing. I was pretty shocked when we went into that theater.
Recliners will be my 2nd showing for IW, couldn't pass up a 7pm showing on the 26th

Watched it yesterday with a friend (We both read the book a while back) and I thought it was awesome! My friend didn't like it as much as I did cause he didn't like that it changed too much from the book but I didn't mind.

Things I liked:
Casting was really good, there was a character that I didn't think would look like they did cause of the book lol but overall, some really good casting.

I absolutely loved T.J Miller in this movie, that dude can do no wrong in my book lol.

I thought the challenges were pretty awesome the way they played out.

Some of the reference material was pretty awesome and very "blink and you'll miss it" so I will definitely be watching this movie again!

The soundtrack and score were dope, I love me some 80's pop so it was right up my alley.

The visuals were top notch, one scene in the movie, I didn't know if it was full CG or an actual set!

Things I didn't like:

Some of the jokes fell flat with me. There were some that legitimately made me laugh though.

The love interest story was so rushed lol, one second they're strangers and the next they're professing their love for each other.

My guess is that it has to do with rights but there were some key things in the final battle that didn't happen which bummed me out a bit, but that's more nitpicking.

I give this movie a 9/10

:lol::lol:The showing on monday had no inclination that it would be in IMAX or in 3D, in fact they had 2 seperate lines for my showing one in front of the IMAX theater and then a continuation of that line in another part of the theater, so it led me to believe that something like Pacific Rim 2 was showing. I was pretty shocked when we went into that theater.
Recliners will be my 2nd showing for IW, couldn't pass up a 7pm showing on the 26th

Well all have our preferences, I like to watch it in comfort first without rubbing elbows with some stranger, & I want my last impression to be the “HD” side. I hardly watch any movies twice, but I will make an exception for some! So many movies coming out! :smh:

Wanted to watch it in IMAX 2D, but they only have late showings. Like 10:30 PM late, & I’m up for work by 5:30 AM. Not a good look, taking my little sister to the 7:30 showing here in a bit. Gotta’ fill up on Wing Stop, spent like $40 yesterday with my girl on pretzel bites, a pizza, a hot dog, & two drinks! :smh:

Exact reason I didn't see it today.

Was gonna go for a little after 4 but **** was 3D. No bueno. Then everything else was interfering with late night plans.

Last edited:
Honestly, was bummed I couldn’t see it in IMAX... but none the less watching this movie back to back within 24 hours of one another I still felt the same way I did after the first viewing. Movie is very dope! You pick up on a thing or two, the clues, different avatars, the musical changes in tone, the graphics were better the second time that’s for sure, & I’ve seen it only on “standard”. It’s definitely a movie to catch on IMAX 2D, or 3D if that’s your preference...

My little sister was actually pretty fair on her ratings... & I quote!

“The movie was really good, I didn’t know what to expect. I think, for a general audience who doesn’t have an idea about gaming, or 80’s-00’s culture they’d be lost a bit. So for that type of audience I’d say, they’d rate it based on RT’s scores a 80/100.
Now, because I know about gaming, a bit of 80’s-00’s culture, & anime I give this movie a 90/100!”

So there you guys have it, probably not a movie you’d recommend to your friends/coworkers who don’t relate to our “nerdness”, but honestly who hasn’t played a game of Halo or CoD on an online lobby or watched a couple of those movies referenced? Can’t wait to catch this movie on IMAX, probably try to knock it out before Infinity War!

Great movie 7/8. The animation was amazing. The love story could have been toned down a little.

My daughter totally enjoyed it. Caught a lot of the references from the 80’s-90’s in the movie.

I enjoyed the movie. Delorian scenes really made the movie for me. I'd give it a 6/8

Things I liked: The action scenes were incredible. That beginning race was extremely dope. Makes me wanna peep in IMAX

Obviously a lot of cool Easter eggs. The Glaive from the movie Krull made me yell out.

The Gundam.... nuff said.

Parzival and Artemis were great actors for the role IMO. Especially Arty, she nailed her performance.

Things I HATED:

They really did change a TON from the book. Drastic changes. I feel like they took the cleverness out. I liked the gate/key setup and IOI infiltration a lot more in the book.

I did enjoy the movie, I just think I would have enjoyed a closer version of the book a lot more.

The Spielberg magic was very faint. Duffer Brothers should have consulted Spielberg on how to get his mojo back :lol:

Some of the corny jokes were over the top lame. Like, I'm not watching Spy Kids, miss me with that.

Zero character development or depth.

School being out of the picture was a big one for me.

Anyways I thought it was an above average fun movie, but not great. On the low end of Spielbergs movies but not Kingdom of Crystal Skull or War of Worlds bad.

I enjoyed the movie. Delorian scenes really made the movie for me. I'd give it a 6/8

Things I liked: The action scenes were incredible. That beginning race was extremely dope. Makes me wanna peep in IMAX

Obviously a lot of cool Easter eggs. The Glaive from the movie Krull made me yell out.

Parzival and Artemis were great actors for the role IMO. Especially Arty, she nailed her performance.

Things I HATED:

They really did change a TON from the book. Drastic changes. I feel like they took the cleverness out. I liked the gate/key setup and IOI infiltration a lot more in the book.

I did enjoy the movie, I just think I would have enjoyed a closer version of the book a lot more.

The Spielberg magic was very faint. Duffer Brothers should have consulted Spielberg on how to get his mojo back :lol:

Some of the corny jokes were over the top lame. Like, I'm not watching Spy Kids, miss me with that.

Anyways I thought it was an above average fun movie, but not great. On the low end of Spielbergs movies but not Kingdom of Crystal Skull or War of Worlds bad.

you and I pretty much have the same opinions, I'm watching it again with my wife, a person who has also read the book and its pretty much been an review embargo at our house. I told her straight up I didn't want to ruin her experience, especially since the person I saw it with the first time LOVED the movie and read the book 4 times. Had this film been 90 minutes, I would've fine with it, but the fact that its like 5 minutes shorter than A.I. or Minority Report, I expected a ton more. Didn't have to be exactly like the book but certain things just weren't developed and some things that should've been routine in the book were made worse in the movie(just my opinion) and believe me when I say there were definitely a few scenes that took my breath away and gave me that theater experience for sure, but as a whole it didn't work for me.

This movie gonna have TLJ type of divide in it.

Things I HATED:

Thanks. I'm gonna go in with realistic expectations. I went into IT thinking it was gonna be one of the best horror flicks I ever saw based on the hype and I was a little let down. Not letting that happen again :lol:

Back
Top Bottom