REAL TALK, What is so bad about GM cars, or rather American cars??

GM has 31 US plants, Ford has 21, toyota has 18, and honda has 4. So, buying a honda/toyota doesn't mean it came from japan. I personally will only buy honda products, the only way i will buy otherwise would be if i needed a truck. Then, i would most likely buy a Ford, better styling and design than any other companies.

GM has 31 US plants, Ford has 21, toyota has 18, and honda has 4. So, buying a honda/toyota doesn't mean it came from japan. I personally will only buy honda products, the only way i will buy otherwise would be if i needed a truck. Then, i would most likely buy a Ford, better styling and design than any other companies.

Originally Posted by BasirWaahid

Wow, haven't been so passionate about a thread on NikeTalk since the Election.  Where to start. . 

Used 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix(60,000) - bought this puppy used from a grandmother back in '03.  If you remember anything, buy used cars  from Seniors because they take care of them. Had it for 3yrs, had AC issues, belts broke several times had to replace, took it to a mechanic to replace small parts hear & there.  Eventually got rid of it since I didn't want to pay for a new head gasket & hated to get rid of it .  Donated it to a Battered Women's Shelter.

New 07 GMC Denali(Wife's Car) - Bought it new, paint on Temperature Unit rubbing off, replaced.  Plastic cover on cigarette lighter broke, replaced.  weather stripping ripping apart, replaced.  Leather cracked on middle console since '09(wear & tear), didn't realize it's not covered under "EXTENDED" warranty.  All this occurred within the normal 3yr/36 warranty.  New Battery within 2yrs. Still driving. . . 

New 09 Dodge Nitro(Daughter's Car) - After 3 days of driving, called roadside assistance because car wouldn't start due to a dead battery.  Air seeping in through front Windshield. Electrical issues, fixed by warranty. Still driving. . .

ORIGINAL OWNER 98 Honda Accord - Didn't have any issues with the car & have nothing to really speak of that gave me trouble except having to rebuild my Transmission @ 130K.  Normal Wear & Tear.  Goal is to put 250K on it. Got 100K to go.

Now ask me if I'm a sheep?  There's no way, I'd buy another American Car.  You really think I care about them closing plants in Detroit or Cleveland with the piss poor quality cars they manufacture?  I lose no sleep for you midwesterners that lost their job working for this AMERICAN company & I truly feel that way.  I did my part in trying to buy their cars 2 new & one used, but will never look in their direction ever again.  My experience, they use cheap parts.  I'm far from being a mechanic. I try to stay consistent & pay the extra money by taking my car to the dealer for issues & the majority of fixes under manufactured warranty & outside of that was "replaced parts".  

You had to rebuild a transmission on the foreign car.... your crying about temp gauge paint on the american.

Wow, haven't been so passionate about a thread on NikeTalk since the Election.  Where to start. . 

Used 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix(60,000) - bought this puppy used from a grandmother back in '03.  If you remember anything, buy used cars  from Seniors because they take care of them. Had it for 3yrs, had AC issues, belts broke several times had to replace, took it to a mechanic to replace small parts hear & there.  Eventually got rid of it since I didn't want to pay for a new head gasket & hated to get rid of it .  Donated it to a Battered Women's Shelter.

New 07 GMC Denali(Wife's Car) - Bought it new, paint on Temperature Unit rubbing off, replaced.  Plastic cover on cigarette lighter broke, replaced.  weather stripping ripping apart, replaced.  Leather cracked on middle console since '09(wear & tear), didn't realize it's not covered under "EXTENDED" warranty.  All this occurred within the normal 3yr/36 warranty.  New Battery within 2yrs. Still driving. . . 

New 09 Dodge Nitro(Daughter's Car) - After 3 days of driving, called roadside assistance because car wouldn't start due to a dead battery.  Air seeping in through front Windshield. Electrical issues, fixed by warranty. Still driving. . .

ORIGINAL OWNER 98 Honda Accord - Didn't have any issues with the car & have nothing to really speak of that gave me trouble except having to rebuild my Transmission @ 130K.  Normal Wear & Tear.  Goal is to put 250K on it. Got 100K to go.

Now ask me if I'm a sheep?  There's no way, I'd buy another American Car.  You really think I care about them closing plants in Detroit or Cleveland with the piss poor quality cars they manufacture?  I lose no sleep for you midwesterners that lost their job working for this AMERICAN company & I truly feel that way.  I did my part in trying to buy their cars 2 new & one used, but will never look in their direction ever again.  My experience, they use cheap parts.  I'm far from being a mechanic. I try to stay consistent & pay the extra money by taking my car to the dealer for issues & the majority of fixes under manufactured warranty & outside of that was "replaced parts".  

You had to rebuild a transmission on the foreign car.... your crying about temp gauge paint on the american.

Honda's automatic transmissions suck. When i worked for them, we replaced atleast 3-4 oddessey trans. a week. Their manual trans. are fine though.

Honda's automatic transmissions suck. When i worked for them, we replaced atleast 3-4 oddessey trans. a week. Their manual trans. are fine though.

Originally Posted by onlyjays9P

You got that right & that's exactly my point.  As the saying goes, it's the little things that count.  If US car makers wouldn't use cheap parts, then maybe I would continue to buy American, but its' the same ole same.  And who's to say they didn't cut corners in other areas(the major areas) if they're using cheap paint, leather, etc. So I'm supposed to assume they paid top dollar for the nuts & bolts of the car, but went very low ball in areas that I are meaningless to you?  I want quality in everything I buy & definitely haven't gotten it with 2 American cars that I'm still paying for.  

Originally Posted by onlyjays9P

You got that right & that's exactly my point.  As the saying goes, it's the little things that count.  If US car makers wouldn't use cheap parts, then maybe I would continue to buy American, but its' the same ole same.  And who's to say they didn't cut corners in other areas(the major areas) if they're using cheap paint, leather, etc. So I'm supposed to assume they paid top dollar for the nuts & bolts of the car, but went very low ball in areas that I are meaningless to you?  I want quality in everything I buy & definitely haven't gotten it with 2 American cars that I'm still paying for.  

I'm on my second Ford 150...

First was an '99 F-150... but I basically drove that into the ground...

I have a 2009 F-150 Lariat now...

IMO, Ford probably makes the best pick-up truck on the market as far as performance, reliability, and style... next to the new Dodge Ram 1500s...

And as much as I want to style in a Mercedes or BMW, I cant ignore the good work of today's American cars...

And the new 4-Door F-150 SVT Raptors = RAW SEX...
pimp.gif

I'm on my second Ford 150...

First was an '99 F-150... but I basically drove that into the ground...

I have a 2009 F-150 Lariat now...

IMO, Ford probably makes the best pick-up truck on the market as far as performance, reliability, and style... next to the new Dodge Ram 1500s...

And as much as I want to style in a Mercedes or BMW, I cant ignore the good work of today's American cars...

And the new 4-Door F-150 SVT Raptors = RAW SEX...
pimp.gif

In my 7+ years of driving, I've owned 8 cars. 5 were American (89 Mustang LX 5.0, 2004 SVT Focus, 2004 Ranger, 1994 Ranger, and 2003 Dodge Intrepid), 2 were Japanese (2004 Mazda3 and 2000 Toyota MR-S), and one European (1973 VW Type 3 Squareback).

I've never experienced major issues with any of my cars. Besides routine maintenance, the only thing I ever had to replace was the brake lines on the 94 Ranger. However, it was 10+ years old, had 130k+ miles on it, and spent it's entire life in Ohio (salt caused the lines to rust through).

From my experience and seeing my friends' experience, as long as you keep up on the maintenance, most cars will be fine. Sure they will have their nuances, but any brand will. The other thing I've noticed is American made cars tend to depreciate faster than their Japanese counterparts. I'm not sure if that's due to quality of the product or perceived value by the general public, but they do depreciate faster. Euros depreciate faster than either one, but have a higher "basement" or bottom dollar value than comprable cars from American automakers.

As for the "lack of swagger" argument, that's all about personal taste. I personally appreciate someone buying a reasonably priced car that's within their budget rather than a Benz or Bimmer because they think it looks good.

This is my current American car. I got it for cheap, but it's been reliable, handles really well, and gets 30+ mpg. Plus they only made 121 of them.

In my 7+ years of driving, I've owned 8 cars. 5 were American (89 Mustang LX 5.0, 2004 SVT Focus, 2004 Ranger, 1994 Ranger, and 2003 Dodge Intrepid), 2 were Japanese (2004 Mazda3 and 2000 Toyota MR-S), and one European (1973 VW Type 3 Squareback).

I've never experienced major issues with any of my cars. Besides routine maintenance, the only thing I ever had to replace was the brake lines on the 94 Ranger. However, it was 10+ years old, had 130k+ miles on it, and spent it's entire life in Ohio (salt caused the lines to rust through).

From my experience and seeing my friends' experience, as long as you keep up on the maintenance, most cars will be fine. Sure they will have their nuances, but any brand will. The other thing I've noticed is American made cars tend to depreciate faster than their Japanese counterparts. I'm not sure if that's due to quality of the product or perceived value by the general public, but they do depreciate faster. Euros depreciate faster than either one, but have a higher "basement" or bottom dollar value than comprable cars from American automakers.

As for the "lack of swagger" argument, that's all about personal taste. I personally appreciate someone buying a reasonably priced car that's within their budget rather than a Benz or Bimmer because they think it looks good.

This is my current American car. I got it for cheap, but it's been reliable, handles really well, and gets 30+ mpg. Plus they only made 121 of them.

Originally Posted by Dakingii

and i dont want to bring race and broad generalizations into this but alot of people who say American cars are trash tend to be Asian, and we know how Asian dudes love imports
Ok bro
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Dakingii

and i dont want to bring race and broad generalizations into this but alot of people who say American cars are trash tend to be Asian, and we know how Asian dudes love imports
Ok bro
eyes.gif

I currently own a 2006 impala LT and I will never buy anything but a chevy ever again. I have over 180,000 miles on it and no problems at all. I get reguar oil changes and maintenance done and no problems.

I currently own a 2006 impala LT and I will never buy anything but a chevy ever again. I have over 180,000 miles on it and no problems at all. I get reguar oil changes and maintenance done and no problems.

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

american cars had a few problems that weren't fixed and that's where they got the rep.

BUT.. ford is seriously stepping their @+++ up as well as the other american car companies. they're putting out really good cars right now, both aesthetically and mechanically, and if they can keep it up then their rep should be changing soon.

i'm really pulling for american car companies even though i drive a european car because if our american car companies can succeed, that's going to be a great thing for our economy.

btw, i'm asian if that matters.
with regards to ford: my sister and my dad were test driving some used cars (~50k miles).  checked out some civics, corollas, and a ford focus.  when my sister came back from the focus test drive, she was literally pissed at ford
laugh.gif
.  and she's not some rare car-head sister - she's a "i just want a normal car" sister.

it was only one focus, so i can't say much other than that, but it was pretty comedic to me.

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

american cars had a few problems that weren't fixed and that's where they got the rep.

BUT.. ford is seriously stepping their @+++ up as well as the other american car companies. they're putting out really good cars right now, both aesthetically and mechanically, and if they can keep it up then their rep should be changing soon.

i'm really pulling for american car companies even though i drive a european car because if our american car companies can succeed, that's going to be a great thing for our economy.

btw, i'm asian if that matters.
with regards to ford: my sister and my dad were test driving some used cars (~50k miles).  checked out some civics, corollas, and a ford focus.  when my sister came back from the focus test drive, she was literally pissed at ford
laugh.gif
.  and she's not some rare car-head sister - she's a "i just want a normal car" sister.

it was only one focus, so i can't say much other than that, but it was pretty comedic to me.

I hate Ford cars, they so damn cheap, transmission problems. Put it this way i'lll buy two pair of Jordans before i'll buy a Ford

I starting to hate Chevys are well, what the !@*% do they need to make this wack +#$ car for

Chevrolet-Aveo-hatchback.jpg

Back
Top Bottom