(Realtalk) How do you feel about some Public Schools NOT showing Obama's speech?

there's nothing wrong with the Pres giving a speech to to kids about education "during school hours".

%*%%, if it was about healthcare, then ok, ppl should have something to say bout it.

if any other President (other than Obama) gave the SAME kinda speech, then THIS subject would have never been brought up, or made the news.

This wouldn't be an issue for me, my kid would be in private school
pimp.gif

a few random points. first when all the other presidents made speeches to students it was controversial. Second I fully agree with thytkerjobs, there is a timeand place for the president in schools is not one of them, on the flip side if a neutral person delivering this speech like Anderson Cooper or w/e Iwouldn't have a problem with it. Third a lot of the controversy had to do with the lesson plans

Part of my opposition to the speech in general is the politicization of it, it reinforces a mentality of government is good and we need the government to takecare of us and solve all our problems. Further more it could lead future voters to think oh gee obama wanted me to do well in school, he's a cool guy ishould vote for him.

Part of my opposition to the speech in general is the politicization of it, it reinforces a mentality of government is good and we need the government to take care of us and solve all our problems.
I just reread the text of the speech. I dont' see it at all.

Further more it could lead future voters to think oh gee obama wanted me to do well in school, he's a cool guy i should vote for him.
...don't all speeches do that though? regardless of the audience?

We get it. Anything negative surrounding Obama is racist...

Don't take anything Ninjahood writes as serious. He's from Washington Heights and you know how well-educated people up there are. [/Ironic Mode Off]

Originally Posted by thytkerjobs

ninjahood wrote:
Trelvis Tha Thrilla wrote:

says da dude from texas.
laugh.gif

what's that supposed to mean? are you implying something racial about an entire state?
looks like someone wasn't watchin da primaries or da election....

karl-rove-electoral-map-2008.png

Obama wants the kids to read his books before the speech (i haven't read his books, but im sure there are ideals in there), and he wants them to answer questions like "tell of another historic moment when the president spoke to the nation, and what was the impact?" I'm sorry, but whether it was Bush, Raegan, Clinton, Obama..whoever...that's a bit much.

what's the liberal take on this?? if there's nothing wrong with the actual speech...you guys honestly don't see a problem with this? This was taken off of his classroom menu, btw.

FYI -- here are the full menus:

Menu of Classroom Activities

President Obama's Address to Students Across America

(PreK-6)

Produced by Teaching Ambassador Fellows, U.S. Department of Education

September 8, 2009

Before the Speech

· Teachers can build background knowledge about the President of the United States and his speech by reading books about presidents and Barack Obama. Teachers could motivate students by asking the following questions:

Who is the President of the United States?

What do you think it takes to be president?

To whom do you think the president is going to be speaking?

Why do you think he wants to speak to you?

What do you think he will say to you?

· Teachers can ask students to imagine that they are delivering a speech to all of the students in the United States.

If you were the president, what would you tell students?

What can students do to help in our schools?

Teachers can chart ideas about what students would say.

· Why is it important that we listen to the president and other elected officials, like the mayor, senators, members of congress, or the governor? Why is what they say important?

During the Speech
  • As the president speaks, teachers can ask students to write down key ideas or phrases that are important or personally meaningful. Students could use a note-taking graphic organizer such as a "cluster web;" or, students could record their thoughts on sticky notes. Younger children could draw pictures and write as appropriate. As students listen to the speech, they could think about the following:
What is the president trying to tell me?

What is the president asking me to do?

What new ideas and actions is the president challenging me to think about?

· Students could record important parts of the speech where the president is asking them to do something. Students might think about the following:

What specific job is he asking me to do?

Is he asking anything of anyone else?

Teachers? Principals? Parents? The American people?

· Students could record questions they have while he is speaking and then discuss them after the speech. Younger children may need to dictate their questions.

After the Speech
  • Teachers could ask students to share the ideas they recorded, exchange sticky notes, or place notes on a butcher-paper poster in the classroom to discuss main ideas from the speech, such as citizenship, personal responsibility, and civic duty.
  • Students could discuss their responses to the following questions:
What do you think the president wants us to do?

Does the speech make you want to do anything?

Are we able to do what President Obama is asking of us?

What would you like to tell the president?

Extension of the Speech

Teachers could extend learning by having students:

· Create posters of their goals. Posters could be formatted in quadrants, puzzle pieces, or trails marked with the following labels: personal, academic, community, and country. Each area could be labeled with three steps for achieving goals in that area. It might make sense to focus first on personal and academic goals so that community and country goals can be more readily created.

· Write letters to themselves about how they can achieve their short-term and long-term education goals. Teachers would collect and redistribute these letters at an appropriate later date to enable students to monitor their progress.

· Write goals on colored index cards or precut designs to post around the classroom.

· Interview one another and share goals with the class to create a supportive community.

· Participate in school-wide incentive programs or contests for those students who achieve their goals.

· Write about their goals in a variety of genres, such as poems, songs, and personal essays.

· Create artistic projects based on the themes of their goals.

· Graph individual progress toward goals.

7-12 is longer so I won't post the full content.
http://www.ed.gov/teachers/how/lessons/7-12.pdf

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

i guess my question will remain unanswered...

whats your question

Obama wants the kids to read his books before the speech (i haven't read his books, but im sure there are ideals in there), and he wants them to answer questions like "tell of another historic moment when the president spoke to the nation, and what was the impact?" I'm sorry, but whether it was Bush, Raegan, Clinton, Obama..whoever...that's a bit much.

what's the liberal take on this?? if there's nothing wrong with the actual speech...you guys honestly don't see a problem with this? This was taken off of his classroom menu, btw.

??? Where did you hear this? (Wanting kids to read his books?)

Originally Posted by ninjahood

ninjahood wrote:
Trelvis Tha Thrilla wrote:

says da dude from texas.
laugh.gif

what's that supposed to mean? are you implying something racial about an entire state?
looks like someone wasn't watchin da primaries or da election....

karl-rove-electoral-map-2008.png

lol, guess he's right..i should disregard what you say. look at all those racist states
roll.gif

I'm a teacher and our principal made an announcement that everyone is watching the address at 11am in their homerooms... luckily I'm the art teacherand 11am is my lunch time.
glasses.gif

I thought i lived in a pretty diverse town that was well not racist...peeped online discussion of my local newspaper. WOW SAD

If this was the question you were referring to -- how can you say "i'm sure there are ideals" in these books that are to be givenout before the speech yet you've never read any of them? It's all assumption on your part.

As for the second question in the quote above (re: "tell of another historic moment when the president spoke to the nation, and what was theimpact?") -- why is that a bit much in your opinion? do you see it as an affront or diminution of other presidents' leadership or something? Is it theuse of the word "historic" that gets you?

If so, I think that it's absolutely ridiculous how or why anyone would see it that way. He's basically asking the student to dig into their historybooks and/or what they've been taught in school or otherwise and tell of another moment when a president has made a speech that has impacted them and thecountry.

Kids don't care why should we...most of them would the time of watching or listening to talk amongst themselves or throw in their ipod buds the ones who docare could just youtube it

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

Kids don't care why should we...most of them would the time of watching or listening to talk amongst themselves or throw in their ipod buds the ones who do care could just youtube it

great outlook on life
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Obama wants the kids to read his books before the speech
not exactly the same thing though...
Teachers can build background knowledge about the President of the United States and his speech by reading books about presidents and Barack Obama.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Teachers can build background knowledge about the President of the United States and his speech by reading books about presidents and Barack Obama.

kids reading the books...teachers reading the books about him...im not seeing a huge difference here.

You said Obama wanted students to read HIS books as if there was some type of propaganda or public relations session involved in order to boost up Obama'simage or something. That's simply not the case. Why are you being misleading?

That menu you posted above about class activities is asking teachers to build up students knowledge prior to the speech by reading books (not HIS books) aboutpresidents including him.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

laugh.gif
seriously... what a loose interpretation.

then again... these are the same people who.... well, nevermind, let's not open that conversation.

The bottom line is - if McCain got elected and had done everything exactly the same til this point that Obama has, liberals would be hating him andconservatives would be loving him.

People are just blindly following their party of choice to the death.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

How do you NOT see the difference?

If I read a textbook about President Clinton and other past presidents, that is not the same thing as reading a book Clinton wrote trying to spread his own personal message.
indeed.

Back
Top Bottom