Recent College Grads - First Job Expecations??

so a question for anyone who will answer or at least give some advice......

i just graduated with my BA back in December. My major was in industrial technology management (basically a welding/construction business degree). Right out the gate, I got a job offer in a different city. it was at a very respectable welding and manufacturing company, but the postion they offered was so low that high school dropouts even qualified for the position. I turned it down. Couple weeks later, i had an interview at a local agriculture company that is very big in my city. Again the position I applied for did not require or hint that a college education was necessary. The job required me to work 60-70 per week, on-call every other week, and only 1 day off a week. Seems like they were looking for someone to work their life away, so i turned it down.

so my question is should i be holding out for a decent job just because I have a degree? or should I be more open to accepting jobs that are lower than i anticipate?

i know alot of people on here would argue that college isnt even necessary nowadays and its alot about putting in the time, but regardless, i did go to school, so id to be able to say it was worth it.

I've always had the mindset that the main reason you go to college is to do something you love, or at least moderately enjoy. I've spent all this time and money so far, so what's the point in settling now for something I don't want to do. On the other hand, I understand bills have to be paid and sometimes you have to get your foot in the door to move up, but I think you should hold out as long as possible for the right opportunity.

I graduate in May btw, and I've been thinking about the exact same scenario.

Back
Top Bottom