Red Sox re-sign Papelbon for $775K Vol. How is that possible?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3280428

[h1]Red Sox re-sign Papelbon for one year, $775,000[/h1]
Associated Press

Updated: March 6, 2008, 7:04 PM ET

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The Boston Red Sox and closer Jonathan Papelbon agreed Thursday to a $775,000, one-year contract, nearly doubling hissalary.

[h4]Jonathan Papelbon[/h4]
7614.jpg

Relief Pitcher
Boston Red Sox

[table] 2007 Season Stats [tr][td]GM[/td] [td]W[/td] [td]L[/td] [td]BB[/td] [td]K[/td] [td]ERA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]59[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]84[/td] [td]1.85[/td] [/tr][/table]

Papelbon was among 18 Red Sox players who agreed to one-year deals, putting Boston's entire 40-man major league roster under contract.

Papelbon earned $425,550 last season, when he had 37 saves in 40 opportunities and a 1.85 ERA, then saved three of the four World Series games againstColorado. He hoped to get a multiyear deal but had no leverage. He said he wanted to set a salary standard for future outstanding closers.

"I feel a certain obligation not only to myself and my family to make the money that I deserve but for the game of baseball," he said Tuesday."Mariano Rivera has been doing it for the past 10 years and with me coming upbehind him I feel a certain obligation to do the same."

The 27-year-old will be eligible for arbitration after the season.

Among the other players who agreed to contracts were AL Rookie of the Year DustinPedroia, center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury ($406,000 in majors, $62,500 in minors)and pitcher Jon Lester, In Boston's World Series sweep, Pedroia drove in fourruns, Ellsbury hit a team best .438 and Lester pitched 5 2-3 scoreless innings in the fourth game.

Clay Buchholz, who pitched a no-hitter in his second major league game last Sept.1, agreed to a one-year deal worth $396,000 in the majors and $62,500 in the minors.

The other agreements were reached with pitchers David Aardsma, Craig Breslow, BryanCorey, Manny Delcarmen, Devern Hansack, Kyle Jackson, Edgar Martinez, and DavidPauley; catchers Dusty Brown and George Kottaras; infielders Chris Carter and Argenis Diaz, and outfielder and Brandon Moss.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
775k for a top 3 closer? if thats not the best bargain in the MLB i don't know what is
that's gotta be one of the biggest bargains in sports period. Sox are looking poised to repeat...

It's because he hasn't been in the League that long. In MLB you can sign a player you own the rights to for whatever amount I believe. Someone elsejust got signed for ~ that amount as well.

Yea its all got to do with how many years youve been playing. I know Joba just agreed to a 490,000 contract

The first three years (?) of an MLB player's career are all basically played for pennies on the dollar if they're like Papelbon, Markakis, etc... Afterthat, you're arbitration eligible for 3 (?) years and get a little more reasonable salary.

$775,000 for a year is still getting PAID people... And to play a game...

you think that is a steal read this....
Ramirez, who signed a $439,000 contract with the Marlins on Sunday

The best SS in the game make less than half a million

The more experience = more $$$

Why do you think the Marlins have a fire sale every 3 or 4 years.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

It's because he hasn't been in the League that long. In MLB you can sign a player you own the rights to for whatever amount I believe. Someone else just got signed for ~ that amount as well.

Markakis
nerd.gif

It's because he doesn't have a lot of experience yet. He'll get the money he's owed soon enough. And I don't know about anyoneelse but I would take 775,000/year in a heartbeat.

It's because he hasn't been in the League that long. In MLB you can sign a player you own the rights to for whatever amount I believe. Someone else just got signed for ~ that amount as well.
can you elaborate further? so basically, if you come up through their farm system then they can pay you whatever they want until a certain pointin your career? i've never really understood all that arbritation nonsense...

Q: When does a player become eligible for salary arbitration?
A: A player with three or more years of service, but less than six years, may file for salary arbitration. In addition, a player can be classified as a "Super Two" and be eligible for arbitration with less than three years of service. A player with at least two but less than three years of Major League service shall be eligible for salary arbitration if he has accumulated at least 86 days of service during the immediately preceding season and he ranks in the top 17 percent in total service in the class of Players who have at least two but less than three years of Major League service, however accumulated, but with at least 86 days of service accumulated during the immediately preceding season.

He'll be okay. $775k is still an incredible amount of money, and hes gonna CAKE next year.

But still, when I saw this my eyes popped. I was all confused like "did we sign Jonathan's little brother or something?"
laugh.gif

zimmerman is currently in contract talks and will probably end up only getting a slight raise over the $400,000 he made last yr. that's an insult to thebest overall 3b in baseball. he isn't a diva though, so he won't be salty about it like prince or markakis.

^ He shouldn't be salty because he doesn't put up Fielder numbers.

But $400k isn't a lot for a "up and coming" professional athlete but that's the way MLB's salary system is structured.

Originally Posted by J RAIN 23

zimmerman is currently in contract talks and will probably end up only getting a slight raise over the $400,000 he made last yr. that's an insult to the best overall 3b in baseball. he isn't a diva though, so he won't be salty about it like prince or markakis.

no he's not.

The best SS in the game make less than half a million

no he's not. that's rollins.

Back
Top Bottom