Religion = Insanity?

I was reading about the Elizabeth Smart kidnapping case recently and I thought, why aren't more religious people considered insane? Here we have a guy claiming to be the prophet of god, promised 49 wives, and he's going around kidnapping kids and raping them under the guise of religion. Is it taboo to claim that religious people are delusional to the point of mental defect? Where do you draw the line between someone hearing the "voice of god" commanding them to build houses in Uganda and someone hearing "the voice of god" commanding them to attack Americans? One might be for good and one might be for evil but aren't both equally crazy?
I understand not all religious people are "extreme" but the idea of any religion is that you place your belief in something that cannot be proven right? If a child believed in Santa, it would be considered cute. If a grown man still put out milk and cookies every December 24th, he would be considered crazy right? I guess the point I'm trying to get across is, at what point are people considered insane? What is the difference between the guy rambling about god on the corner of the street and your neighborhood pastor?

ohwell.gif

I was reading about the Elizabeth Smart kidnapping case recently and I thought, why aren't more religious people considered insane? Here we have a guy claiming to be the prophet of god, promised 49 wives, and he's going around kidnapping kids and raping them under the guise of religion. Is it taboo to claim that religious people are delusional to the point of mental defect? Where do you draw the line between someone hearing the "voice of god" commanding them to build houses in Uganda and someone hearing "the voice of god" commanding them to attack Americans? One might be for good and one might be for evil but aren't both equally crazy?
I understand not all religious people are "extreme" but the idea of any religion is that you place your belief in something that cannot be proven right? If a child believed in Santa, it would be considered cute. If a grown man still put out milk and cookies every December 24th, he would be considered crazy right? I guess the point I'm trying to get across is, at what point are people considered insane? What is the difference between the guy rambling about god on the corner of the street and your neighborhood pastor?

ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

ohwell.gif

the money

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

ohwell.gif

the money

What is the difference between the guy rambling about god on the corner of the street and your neighborhood pastor?

the pastor has a building to spew his crap, the guy in the corner doesn't.

What is the difference between the guy rambling about god on the corner of the street and your neighborhood pastor?

the pastor has a building to spew his crap, the guy in the corner doesn't.

The political sphere of our country is deeply immersed in the culture of religion. Just as so, they control what is or what isn't deviant. 

The political sphere of our country is deeply immersed in the culture of religion. Just as so, they control what is or what isn't deviant. 

so the few nut jobs can cause u to call any religious person "delusional", didn't ur motha teach u not to stereotype or assume smh, I personally think religion gives people hope when facing things that the human ability isn't capable of solving or comprehending, and each person has their own conception of wut n how God has meant somthing in their lives

so the few nut jobs can cause u to call any religious person "delusional", didn't ur motha teach u not to stereotype or assume smh, I personally think religion gives people hope when facing things that the human ability isn't capable of solving or comprehending, and each person has their own conception of wut n how God has meant somthing in their lives

i had a friend telling me that the bible was real and that the oceans are gods tears and that there is no such thing as space....many religious people are insane

i had a friend telling me that the bible was real and that the oceans are gods tears and that there is no such thing as space....many religious people are insane

Originally Posted by sneakaholic4life

You've missed the point.
To me, there is very little differentiating those you call "nut jobs" and "regular believers" such as yourself. At the end of the day, both believe in something that can not be proven and both are deluded because they think they can communicate with an invisible cosmic being. Are there different levels of insanity? If someone murders someone in the name of god, that's crossing the line but if someone donates his life's savings to cancer research because "god told him it was the right thing to do" it's less crazy?

You've missed the point.
To me, there is very little differentiating those you call "nut jobs" and "regular believers" such as yourself. At the end of the day, both believe in something that can not be proven and both are deluded because they think they can communicate with an invisible cosmic being. Are there different levels of insanity? If someone murders someone in the name of god, that's crossing the line but if someone donates his life's savings to cancer research because "god told him it was the right thing to do" it's less crazy?

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

Are we do for another religion bashing thread already?

black-man-looking-at-watch.jpg

Albeit I'm not fond of religion myself, these threads are just about as tired as the programmed troll responses.
I don't think there's anything wrong with questioning this kind of stuff. Actually, I think it's important to question this kind of stuff. People just take it in stride since America is such a religious country. I'm waiting for atheism/agnosticism bashing thread. I want to see what kind of malarkey people can come up with.

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

Are we do for another religion bashing thread already?

black-man-looking-at-watch.jpg

Albeit I'm not fond of religion myself, these threads are just about as tired as the programmed troll responses.
I don't think there's anything wrong with questioning this kind of stuff. Actually, I think it's important to question this kind of stuff. People just take it in stride since America is such a religious country. I'm waiting for atheism/agnosticism bashing thread. I want to see what kind of malarkey people can come up with.

well I guess beleivin in somthin u don't see or feel clearly makes u a "nut job", well dats ur opinion n ur free to think that way, but u sound like anyone else who stereotypes things they don't fully understand bcuz for u to keep mentionin religious ppl as overzealous ppl who often go to criminal extremes is simply stereotypin to me

well I guess beleivin in somthin u don't see or feel clearly makes u a "nut job", well dats ur opinion n ur free to think that way, but u sound like anyone else who stereotypes things they don't fully understand bcuz for u to keep mentionin religious ppl as overzealous ppl who often go to criminal extremes is simply stereotypin to me

I attended a Christian school for 13 years of my life and have always been around religious people up until I entered college. I even considered myself a Christian until I was 19. I'm not stereotyping anything.
Again, I'm not saying all religious people go to criminal extremes. To break it down the simplest way I can, I'm questioning what the difference is between someone who does something good or something bad in the name of religion. Why aren't both considered crazy?

Back
Top Bottom