Replay value of Hip-Hop music

I'll still be bumping Rick Ross "Amsterdam" 20 years from now.

Anyways, I think the production level of today's hip hop is timeless, the lyrics aren't. Will still be riding out to some stuff from this decade in the long term future, but it won't be the same as how I ride out to 90's rap.

I'll still be bumping Rick Ross "Amsterdam" 20 years from now.
That song is my "Saturday morning" song during the school year
laugh.gif
.  "Gotta get away, get away from here."
pimp.gif

music is moving at a rapid pace in this day an age, dropping a classic album now you gotta hit a home run

if you looking for a classic album go back to the essence like me

I think the bigger issue is the over-saturation of the music market now days. There are 100 artists putting out mixtapes and albums every week, so it's hard to really take the time to listen and appreciate certain pieces of work because as soon as you hear new stuff from one of your favorite artists you're already anticipating something from someone else the next week.

I agree with you, OP.

I think a lot of newer albums don't have the same replay value older ones have is due to the fact that artists are rushing to push out product; instead of crafting a deliberate, thought-out album, everyone is trying to maintain their spot in the cycle of posts, tweets and reblogs.

I agree with you, OP.

I think a lot of newer albums don't have the same replay value older ones have is due to the fact that artists are rushing to push out product; instead of crafting a deliberate, thought-out album, everyone is trying to maintain their spot in the cycle of posts, tweets and reblogs.
agreed, the only two albums in the past 4 years that are in my playlists are GKMC and recovery (flame suit on). i do like kanye and jay's new albums though but its too soon to tell

high hopes for MMLP2

timeless music never gets old, i can tell whether something is very good the first second i listen to it.

Most of the rap artist in mainstream todays rapping skills are average or below , none of them captivate me , they all have the same flow w/ the same generic trap beats , after 2006 i honestly don't know what plagued hip hop , but they never recovered ever since

There's a TON of replay value with older hip-hop, IMO.  ATLiens released 17 years ago and I bump that album religiously like it dropped a month ago.  And I could list a bunch of other older albums that are simply timeless.

But new hip-hop?  Yeah....not much replay value, IMO.  There are some new cats who I regularly listen to, but for the most part a lot of the new stuff is disposable.  

I think one of the issues is how we consume music.  Back in the day, new music came out on Tuesdays and Tuesdays only.  Now?  We're bombarded with new **** every hour of every day, whether it be a hot single, mixtape or album.  There's so much music to digest that it becomes a chore to sift through the BS and find the gems.  And because we live in such a fast-paced, what have you done for me lately society, artists are forced to push material out just to stay current or in the public's eye.  That leads to a lot of ****** music and contributes to the lowered replay value, IMO.    

Most of the rap artist in mainstream todays rapping skills are average or below , none of them captivate me , they all have the same flow w/ the same generic trap beats , after 2006 i honestly don't know what plagued hip hop , but they never recovered ever since

If you backtrack and see what artist started to take off to the stratosphere during that time, you'll have your answer.

I think the bigger issue is the over-saturation of the music market now days. There are 100 artists putting out mixtapes and albums every week, so it's hard to really take the time to listen and appreciate certain pieces of work because as soon as you hear new stuff from one of your favorite artists you're already anticipating something from someone else the next week.
This. And there's dope rappers/producers that we don't even know about.

IMO mixtapes at least had a hand in it.

Artist today just make so much material. Instead of their best work on a album. It's spread out through several different projects.

I mean Just look at Wayne. That dude basically gave away a career worth of good music in that run he had...

You can easily say the same for 50 and others...

Back in the day when an artist dropped an album it was his best 14 to 17 tracks. Out of probably 50 to 100 songs.

Of course those albums from that time are timeless. They meant more. Guys cared about being the best.

But the labels are ******g things up too. Can't forget them clowns.

I still play most of A Tribe Called Quest's catalog of music today as I did when it was first released. I've actually went through 7 copies of Low End Theory on CD because I played them so much.

A Tribe Called Quest has aged pretty well.

You put a single off Low End Theory or Midnight Marauders on the radio today and most young people wouldn't even know it's 20+ years old.

Tribe has aged EXTREMELY well.

So has BIG and Bone Thugs.

Alot of old West Coast stuff hasn't, but at the same time alot of that G-funk stuff has aged SUPER well.

It's weird, but basically the stuff that was actually quality music is still holding up while the 90's equivalent of Cashin' Out sounds mad dated.

I was talking to an intern that worked with us this summer whose a Jr. in college. He told me that A Tribe Called Quest was old people's music... :rolleyes :stoneface:

To put it simply, I mushed him "in his head" after he said that...

Artist today just make so much material. Instead of their best work on a album. It's spread out through several different projects.

I mean Just look at Wayne. That dude basically gave away a career worth of good music in that run he had...

You can easily say the same for 50 and others...

Back in the day when an artist dropped an album it was his best 14 to 17 tracks. Out of probably 50 to 100 songs.

Of course those albums from that time are timeless. They meant more. Guys cared about being the best.

But the labels are ******g things up too. Can't forget them clowns.
This.

Wale, Cole, and Wiz would have classic albums if their debuts featured the best songs from their mixtapes and album sessions combined. Especially Cole. If Friday Nights Lights + the best songs from Sideline Story were his debut, it would have been cold. Same with Wiz (who is two for two in making the mixtape better than the album with K&OJ and Cabin Fever being better than Rolling Papers, and Taylor Allderdice being slightly better than ONIFC)

Imagine if Big Sean took the best stuff from Detroit and cut out all the filler, HOF would have been amazing.

But people have shorter attention spans and only a certain echelon of artists can stay relevant without mixtapes constantly (Drake, Kanye, Jay, Em, and it's looking like Kendrick too)

If you backtrack and see what artist started to take off to the stratosphere during that time, you'll have your answer.

What you tryna say Peep.

View media item 565084

Last edited:

this is very true

I was thinking about this when D5 dropped. Has anyone in the history of rap rapped more than this guy? He was seriously dropping a track a week at one point just letting stuff fly. Between the solo albums, the collaborations, and the mixtapes he might have more than 1400 songs out there, and thats me understating it. He really did too much.

Back
Top Bottom