Report: 49ers to offer Singletary multiyear deal

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Mike Singletary has been a remarkable short-term solution to the San Francisco 49ers' woes. With each passing week, the interim coach is looking more like the long-term fix as well.

The Sacramento Bee is reporting that according to a source close to the situation, the 49ers are planning on offering a multiyear contract to Singletary shortly after the team ends its season with Sunday's game against the Washington ********.

NFL teams cannot sign interim coaches during the season under the league's Rooney Rule, which requires teams to interview at least one minority candidate, but the 49ers do not have to bring in more candidates if they are planning to take the interim tag off Singletary.

On Wednesday, Singletary acknowledged he had met with the team's top officials about his future earlier in the week. According to the Bee, Singletary laid out a plan for the 49ers that wowed the club's leadership.

"I will just say this: I don't interpret anything as ... really good or really bad," said Singletary, whose club has won four of its past six games. "I think the most important thing is that I just continue to stay focused. After it's all said and done, we can look back at how positive things are, and our direction or whatever, and we can fully pay attention to it."

Team owners John and Jed York haven't responded to requests for comment on Singletary's situation, but they undoubtedly have noticed the 49ers' improved play -- along with the groundswell of Bay Area fan support for the Hall of Fame linebacker.

Singletary's players certainly are in their coach's corner.

"The way guys have responded to him and played for him says a lot," said quarterback Shaun Hill, who's 4-3 as a starter with one of the NFL's best passer ratings since Singletary promoted him. "Those decisions aren't up to us, but we feel like we can turn the corner with what we have."

Singletary took over for Mike Nolan on Oct. 20, one day after San Francisco dropped to 2-5 with a loss at the Giants. The 49ers then lost the first two games of Singletary's tenure before the current surge, led by Hill's cool passing and a once-awful defense that has allowed fewer than 17 points in five of the last six games.

With a victory over Washington in Sunday's finale, the Niners could finish 7-9 to match their best record during six consecutive losing seasons since John York fired coach Steve Mariucci following a second-round playoff defeat.

If Singletary returns, most believe he'll have to find a new offensive coordinator -- San Francisco's seventh new face at the job in seven years.

Mike Martz, hired in January by Nolan in an effort to revitalize the NFL's worst offense in two of the previous three seasons, has breathed life into San Francisco's effort. But the former St. Louis head coach runs a pass-first scheme that doesn't seem to fit Singletary's belief in a run-oriented attack.

Martz acquiesced to Singletary's now-obvious promotion of Hill over Martz favorite J.T. O'Sullivan, and Martz also bent his game plans to accommodate Singletary's desire for a sturdier running game. Although Martz and Singletary seem to get along well, both might be better off on their own.

"I think everything that I asked him to do, he made every attempt to do the things he needed to do," Singletary said when asked about Martz's future in San Francisco. "Going forward, I just feel that after the season, we have to sit down ... and look at what gives us the best opportunity to win."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3792457

i hope this man is extended. he really got the team fired and playing the last few games of the season.

i woulda thought they were gonna give him a one year deal and wait for mike holmgren

Good for him and well deserved!
pimp.gif

Singletary deserves this job. The niners should keep Hill at QB for now and groom a rookie QB from the draft...And I'm meaning from the 3rd or 4th round.Do any of you think that Isaac Bruce will be back for another year? Along with Takeo Spikes?

Singletary deserves it, the players didnt want to play under Nolan and thought of him as a joke. Good job Sing!

Looks like his first action in being the full time permanent coach is firing Martz after the season

Mike Singletary told his players to take one hour out of their days today to focus on football. I'm not one of Singletary's players, but since it looks as if Singletary is going to be around for a while, I figured I'd better follow his directive.

Singletary will be back next season, but it appears the offense will be starting from scratch - again.

The Sac Bee reported today Singletary will fire offensive coordinator Mike Martz, who has one year remaining on his contract. When I asked Singletary yesterday whether he plans to retain Martz as his coordinator, Singletary said Martz "has been great this season." But he said the club has to "look at what gives us the best opportunity to win going forward."

Singletary has decided Martz does not give the 49ers their best chance to win, the Bee reported. While I can't independently confirm Martz will be fired, one club source told me the feeling in the organization is the 49ers need to find a more stabilizing presence to run the offense.

I've reported in the past the 49ers will look for a young quarterbacks coach to serve as offensive coordinator if Martz does not return. This is pure speculation, but some names on Singletary's list for offensive coordinator might be Mike McCoy (Panthers), Craig Johnson (Titans) and Pete Carmichael Jr. (Saints).

damn that sucks. i wanted to keep the continuity and hopefully bruce and martz would have been enough to recruit a disgruntled holt
laugh.gif

but, we need an OC that features more Gore and more VD...

Now the 49ers need to get Eddie DeBartalo back to get things running smoothly again. The Yorks, I guess his sister's family, tore that franchise to pieces.

JR5

Originally Posted by NothingToL0se

congrats to coach sing.

now hopefully norv turner gets fired so he can come back to us as the OC
laugh.gif

There's a lot of speculation of Norv being fired and Niners jumping the opportunity to come back. That would be interesting if he did decide to come backto SF.

Originally Posted by JRose5

Now the 49ers need to get Eddie DeBartalo back to get things running smoothly again. The Yorks, I guess his sister's family, tore that franchise to pieces.

JR5
ya srsly

but recently, their son, Jed York, has taken over and has stated that he wants to take the franchise back how it was when DeBartolo ran things.

good for him. unlike his frugal and cost driven parents-- i actually want to believe he will help turn this franchise around.

Originally Posted by offbad

JR5
ya srsly

but recently, their son, Jed York, has taken over and has stated that he wants to take the franchise back how it was when DeBartolo ran things.

good for him. unlike his frugal and cost driven parents-- i actually want to believe he will help turn this franchise around.

The York's are from Ohio so you know even their offspring will fail.

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

Originally Posted by NothingToL0se

congrats to coach sing.

now hopefully norv turner gets fired so he can come back to us as the OC
laugh.gif

There's a lot of speculation of Norv being fired and Niners jumping the opportunity to come back. That would be interesting if he did decide to come back to SF.
that would be awesome. also, if alex smith wants to come back for cheap...i wouldn't mind that either.

Originally Posted by Dr 715

Originally Posted by offbad

JR5
ya srsly

The York's are from Ohio so you know even their offspring will fail.

%$#$. We're screwed.

Seriously though, good for Sing and very well-deserved. If he wasn't extended that would have been a travesty.

Best move for the team and organization...I feel as though Singletary is the perfect man for this position and if my 49ers play all yr next season the way theyplayed the last 2 months, then we will be able to contend for the divisional title...to me there was no way they could have or should have brought someone elsein

Back
Top Bottom