Feedback Resizing

I agree. Everything looks so big now. Old NT was much more compact.
The forum/posts used to be like 70 ? % of the screen width, centered. Default font was smaller. The area around UIs was much smaller.

As I see it, there are three components to this:
  1. Page width dedicated to content.
  2. Font size.
  3. The size of UI elements.
Let's go down the list.

On Huddler, the first few posts within each thread were compressed for the sidebar modules/ads. Users hated this when we moved, but that was how Huddler did things and it's become a pretty standard convention following the transition to widescreen displays. The sidebar paid the bills and it provided a home for features like the thread gallery.

So, to clarify: are you saying you want this back?

edgesharethis.jpg

Styleforum.net moved recently as well. They chose to keep those margins in place for all posts not just the first few, so you can check out their layout and let me know if you think that's an improvement. It is, obviously, technically possible for us to use something similar on our site, as they and other former Huddler sites have proven.

Some people prefer to have shorter lines of text, and if we're using the space for advertising we stand to make more money. If that's something everyone wants, we can certainly consider it.

I actually thought we were doing something good for the community by maintaining the max width setting from the old site - and applying it to all posts. No more issues where youtube videos in the first 3 posts get cut off, etc.

We're also trying to prepare for the greater adoption of 4k displays, so your content isn't constrained to a narrow band taking up maybe the middle 1/5th of the screen.

That's where the larger font comes in.

If you don't want all the content to appear in a narrow little strip in the middle of the screen, but you also want shorter, more readable lines, a larger font can help improve legibility while getting more out of your display.

I think the UI thing is a misconception. Here's the best way to illustrate that:

Old-vs-New-NT.png

That's the same exact post on old NT vs. new NT, as displayed on a 1080P desktop monitor.

OK so that UI area only looks bigger, probably because of the direct surroundings of the new NT.
That Styleforum layout looks way better to me, but I understand this is a personal preference.

I noticed NT just made some tweaks

Shrank the NT logo and maybe the hamburger menu.

I can see my avy in the top bar of my iPhone 5 now :nthat:

Looks a lot better

Back
Top Bottom