Restoration potential?

I recently recovered these Foamposites from my parents' residency before they moved out last month. I got them back in Dec. '97, and haven't wornthem since fall '02. I don't want to discard them since they are still somewhat durable.

As you can see some discoloring occurred. The soles turned dark and some pieces of the seams on the foam part of the shoes turned yellow or some other color. Ihonestly can't recall the original fresh out of the box color of the foam part of the shoes since I got these over 10 years ago, but I assume extremelywhite. It looks like the foam turned a little bit darker than original.

Do any of you peeps think I can restore these? First I plan to clean them with shoe cleaner. Then can I use that Seaglow you peeps always recommend on here onthe soles to restore them back to clear? And can Seaglow lighten/whiten the foam part and seams back to original? I never used Seaglow, but I assume when shoesare worn after Seaglow application they eventually turn colors like anything else. So you basically have to start the restoration cycle again right? Its justlike cleaning shoes, they get dirty after wearing them, and you have to clean them again. Do these shoes have the potential to be restored? Any feedback wouldbe appreciated.

from what i've seen, posite is not easy to restore at all. im sure the gum would be pretty easy and rit could take care of any problems with liner/lacesetc. you could try barkeepers on the seams (as long as it's the stitching that is discoloured), and seaglow might be okay on the soles, good luck.

Will Seaglow work on the Foam part of the shoes? I have seen pictures of peeps applying Seaglow on soles to restore them back to clear, but can Seaglow restorethe Foam back to brighter white or damage it? Any suggestions anyone? And since I have no knowledge of chemicals people use to restore shoes, please bespecific about the brands' names and what they're good for for me please.

The pearls? You hit the mother-load!
thumbs_up.jpg

They are restorable. Good job!

nice catch i think you can restore those it might take some elbow grease but its possible to do it. post pics after you have tried to restore can't wait.

Those look real easy to restore if you wanted to, it will take time and a bit of hard work but I'm sure you'll do well, try the Mr. Clean magic eraseron the white part, see if that helps it. If I had those I would leave the soles the way they are, let everyone know that you are wearing OG's

Yea you can restore em. Gonna take a lil work. For the suede upper just hit it with some baby and brush it in. As for the foam and the soles use that magicerase, sneaker cleaner, and that sea glow cuz it looks like it works wonders. Good luck

Sea Glow may help restore the white, also try to using Bar Keeper's friend, I use both but be aware Sea Glow does not work wonders. It will make your solesa lighter yellow but no where near clear. Also do NOT let it run down into the cracks between the sole and shoe, it will detoriate the glue and your solesmight fall off. So in terms of using it on the white part I would reserve sea glow as a last resort.

the only problem i have with foams is that the sole wears out b4 the actual shoe gets too messed up. but yea you could restore those

do one thing at a time clean em first. i would say sea glow them next that way if something bad happens you can stop there or keep going. i never used BarKeeper's friend so i dont kno how to used it.

yeah id at least hoop in em or something. they dont look that beat. and they are a dope shoe so you can wear a dope shoe if its a little messed up anyway

just be careful when you restore em and take your time but you will be fine

First thing I would do is scrub them all over with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Do a couple sessions and scrub hard. You can try to seaglow the soles but they willstill be yellow. They might get a couple shades lighter but they will still be yellow. Those pearls are gonna take some work but they are definitely worth it.Good Luck

These aren't necessarily a find for me as I got these back in Dec. '97 before the Foamposite hype of today. They were easy to find everywhere backthen. I just haven't worn them since fall '02. I just left it at my parents' old residency when I moved out over 1 year ago. But I picked them upfrom their place before they moved out last month since they didn't throw them away.

And I'm tired of all this reissue hype bull$hit and being only able to find them in limited numbers at only particular stores and locations in this era. SoI want to wear it again.

And I do take care of my shoes better now than when I used to. And I have more to wear and alternate in between. I plan to clean the soles and foam part withFoot Locker sneaker cleaner. But should I clean the black upper part which is some different material with something else, i.e. suede and nucbuck cleaner? Bythe way, what is that black upper part of the shoes' material? I plan to clean them first since they're dusty, and I'm going to go step by stepwith the restoration.

That's true about Seaglow, I saw the pictures before after application. It doesn't turn it clear totally, just lightens the yellow or suppreses it. BarKeeper's huh? I never heard of it. Thanks for the feedback y'all. But please keep it coming. I need to know more about what's the right chemicalsto use to try to restore since I haven't done it before. I have only cleaned worn shoes with insatnt cleaner and also sprayed protector on new shoes.

Originally Posted by therealestwun

These aren't necessarily a find for me as I got these back in Dec. '97 before the Foamposite hype of today. They were easy to find everywhere back then. I just haven't worn them since fall '02. I just left it at my parents' old residency when I moved out over 1 year ago. But I picked them up from their place before they moved out last month since they didn't throw them away.

And I'm tired of all this reissue hype bull$hit and being only able to find them in limited numbers at only particular stores and locations in this era. So I want to wear it again.

And I do take care of my shoes better now than when I used to. And I have more to wear and alternate in between. I plan to clean the soles and foam part with Foot Locker sneaker cleaner. But should I clean the black upper part which is some different material with something else, i.e. suede and nucbuck cleaner? By the way, what is that black upper part of the shoes' material? I plan to clean them first since they're dusty, and I'm going to go step by step with the restoration.

That's true about Seaglow, I saw the pictures before after application. It doesn't turn it clear totally, just lightens the yellow or suppreses it. Bar Keeper's huh? I never heard of it. Thanks for the feedback y'all. But please keep it coming. I need to know more about what's the right chemicals to use to try to restore since I haven't done it before. I have only cleaned worn shoes with insatnt cleaner and also sprayed protector on new shoes.
eek.gif
glad to know your not another beast jumping on the wagon.folks paying o.d. prices when once upon a time foams were on sales racks.

The color is pearl, which is kinda off white, not pure white. I think a mr.clean magic eraser could clean the uppers nicely. They're not in bad shape.

Thanks for the compliments my peeps! I appreciate it. I know its not that bad, but I was younger when I got these and wore my hottest stuff so frequentlywithout alternating or taking a break between pairs. And I discarded the box for these a long time ago. Perhaps that's why they turned color a little.

If you peeps notice, there is a little wear on the black upper parts. But I am somewhat content with the shoe after 11 years, I am just unhappy about thecolorization on some parts, that's all. That's why I want to restore them so I can wear them again.

Yeah, and to the dude that quoted me talking $hit about the punk !+! reseller *****e$, thanks for agreeing with me. Those motherf-cker$ take the fun out ofcoming up on cool shoes. Man, I recall hot !+! Nikes i.e. Jordan XI and Penny 1 were sold at JC Penney even back in 1995-96! All the hot stuff was everywherewhich was cool because it gave everyone a chance to come up if they couldn't get it from one place.

Also punk !+! Nike releasing stuff in limited quantities in particular chains, in effect supporting those punk !+! resellers who have no life and job.They're always trying to hoard all the hot $hit and Jew up the prices, trying to get over on us. I wonder when reselling will die? It ain't worth adamn to stay hours, even days before release date to go pay full price to resell for a minute profit. You gotta account for time, shipping, and hassle for theprofit margin. It ain't worth staying out in the storefront looking and living like homeless for a few days or even hours. Man, its better to get a job, atleast you can go home clean yourself, have a place to sleep, get your eat on, use your bathroom comfortably, and go back the next day to work. Stupid !+!resellers staying for days is nasty.

Man, when I get my stuff, I "don't believe the hype" like Public Enemy told me to! That's real in the field. I get my stuff because I likeit, and I got something cool, especially an authentic jersey to correspond with it. Now its wack, motherfu%ker$ getting stuff they don't know much aboutjust to resell.

That's why I'm glad I could beat those sorry !+! resellers at their own game when I came up recently on the Kobe IV All-Stars! I got those shoesbecause I am a big Kobe fan, and I am expecting the cool !+! Kobe All-Star jacket he wore in the game to come to me. So I got something to coordinate with theshoes. I beat those punk !+! resellers because I am real tight with a manager at a really local Foot Locker. I just placed a call to him the morning they cameout before he opened up shop, and asked him to hold my size, he was cool with it although he gave me a 2 hour deadline to pick them up. I live close so I wascool with it.

I came up without having to wait in the mall for hours like those idiots in front of his store! Those !+! clowns came way before him, the manager, even waybefore he even opened up shop. I bet that idiot who wanted my size to resell felt stupid since he couldn't get it and turn around selling it at a rapeprice. Those resellers are living proof of how stupid it is to do what they do. Its who you know that makes it easier to come up not what you think you know.Man, I miss the 90s when they had the hottest shoes everywhere and internet selling wasn't in.

Anyways, let's keep this post going and help me get ideas to restore my what used to be cool !+! Foamposites! Keep the bright ideas coming! I'll be ona mission to restore these. Its going to take time since I don't have much myself, got priorities taking care of my property(home) and making $$$. At leastI can clean them first since I have cleaner at home. And again, should I clean the black upper parts with suede and nubuck cleaner? Please tell me that atleast. I'll have to hunt for those chemicals you peeps are talking about since I don't have it.

Originally Posted by therealestwun

And again, should I clean the black upper parts with suede and nubuck cleaner? Please tell me that at least. I'll have to hunt for those chemicals you peeps are talking about since I don't have it.
Nice find. They look a little dusty so thats easy to fix. Suede and Nubuck cleaner is fine or uppers.Use the brush first though. Use Mr. Cleanlike everybody said earlier and scrub really good. Even use it on the soles. I wouldn't use chemicals like the Foot Locker spray but thats my personalpreference. As for Sea Glow, you can go and try it. The soles look fine and a good scrubing with Mr. Clean can do wonders. If you do use Sea Glow, make surethe soles are entirely clean. When you leave the shoes out in the sun, make sure to keep an eye on them because heat from the sun can cause the glue to comeundone. Also make sure the Sea Glow does not drip on any other part shoes except the soles as it will cause discoloration if not noticed.

Back
Top Bottom