Retirement?? Why though....

As of recently, JB is starting to retro sneakers within 4 years of the prior releases. I keep seeing people complain about retiring due to this issue. Why are you "retiring" from buying sneakers due to them being released so frequent? I just don't understand. If you WORE your sneakers, you'd probably like a new fresh pair by the time they re-released that particular shoe. Stop whining and wear your shoes everyone. That's their purpose!!!

release product A with crappy quality.... watch it sell out

release product A a year later with a change in colorway or quality... watch it sell out

answer to your question: I am tired of being treated like a sheep

(examples: varsity 6's - infrared pack, jordan I DMP - banned I, cement 3 dmp - cement 3 retro)

I guess some people like their shoes being more exclusive if it was release less often. I just started buying Jordans last year so I definitely don't have a problem with it, but I can see why others would.

As for me, by nature I just dont beat my shoes. Instead of buying the same releases over and over, I'd rather pull back from the sneaker game. I'd rather do more important things, such as improve my credit. And since shoes release more frequently now, there's no need to feel bad about missing out on a release because it'll release again later. And even the ones hat don't drop again soon could be had for around $200 or less.

If you talk halfway decent care of your sneakers they should last longer than four years.

Originally Posted by asianplayer

I guess some people like their shoes being more exclusive if it was release less often. I just started buying Jordans last year so I definitely don't have a problem with it, but I can see why others would.
I totally agree!
I bought my first Jordans back in '05, but only started buying them frequently last year.

Now I have 10 pairs.

I don't care if these release these every 4-5 years because I missed out on the previous releases.

Originally Posted by sthebest

As for me, by nature I just dont beat my shoes. Instead of buying the same releases over and over, I'd rather pull back from the sneaker game. I'd rather do more important things, such as improve my credit. And since shoes release more frequently now, there's no need to feel bad about missing out on a release because it'll release again later. And even the ones hat don't drop again soon could be had for around $200 or less.
Exactly. 
I have retros dating back to 2001, and they still look like they released yesterday.  It's not hard to keep them clean, they will last you longer so you won't need to replace the same pair over and over again.

The pairs I have and future pairs that I will get, will be the ones I will own for the rest of my life, so I will be stopping once I have everything I want.   

Originally Posted by sthebest

^ This. I wish they would release them like this more often. Including Concords and the like. This way, if you miss out, you can wait a few years and still get the ones you want. It's a logical explanation.

Because they're ruining the game. I like having certain pairs because they are special to me. They hold a certain value to me, having watched MJ perform in the shoes. Mass producing these shoes makes them widely available to anyone, not someone who appreciates them for what they are supposed to be. These hype beasts wouldn't know quality if it broke their nose, so they continue to fork out more money for worse sneakers, in effect harming us OGs

i'd be all for it if each model didn't look worse & farther from the original

but an increased rate of release coupled with declining quality makes for a situation
where i see my favorite kicks getting dumbed down & it is more in my face this way

years ago my plan was to buy a retro, trash it, then get the newer release...
but that all fell apart when the shoes themselves started to look so different
from the way they should

Originally Posted by rayray3thousand

release product A with crappy quality.... watch it sell out

release product A a year later with a change in colorway or quality... watch it sell out

answer to your question: I am tired of being treated like a sheep

(examples: varsity 6's - infrared pack, jordan I DMP - banned I, cement 3 dmp - cement 3 retro)

This. The product and price just aren't adding up and its pretty obvious for someone who has been buying Jordans his whole life. Don't get me wrong I'll ALWAYS be a Jordan fan but that doesn't mean I have to buy the garbage quality they put out no matter if its my grail. I could get a fleet of quality; comfortable air maxes for what a retro goes for. Nah, I'm good on that.

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

...so I will be stopping once I have everything I want.   
I am almost there, my friend....

....but on second thought, there's always more to be had!

Originally Posted by FLINTGREY

It's gotta be the right colorway.  I know I'm trying to 'get there' myself, I only have eyes for the classic OG colorways nowadays, 1 through 13.  Once I complete that, we'll see. 
smile.gif

Doesn't matter to me.
Either buy it, or cry about it and Rondo it.

For me, I'm tired of the price hikes, among other factors.  2001 3s $100 bucks.  2007 3s $125.  2011 3s $160?  C'mon.  

Originally Posted by 619destroyer

Originally Posted by CDUNK

For me, I'm tired of the price hikes, among other factors.  2001 3s $100 bucks.  2007 3s $125.  2011 3s $160?  C'mon.  

roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
INFLATION hello!!!!

Oh really?  Explain the concept to me.  

roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
INFLATION hello!!!!

Dollar falls in value

Needs more dollars to buy things such as materials/labor/shipping

Need more dollars to keep the same profit percentage

Thats the jist but knowing how these are made the hike is still not justified 
tired.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
INFLATION hello!!!!

grin.gif
 how come they didn't do a price increase for the 2001s then? and please don't tell me the dollar was great during those times 
grin.gif
laugh.gif
 Because $100 in 1988 is not the same in 2001. It can't be

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
INFLATION hello!!!!

Dollar falls in value

Needs more dollars to buy things such as materials/labor/shipping

Need more dollars to keep the same profit percentage

Thats the jist but knowing how these are made the hike is still not justified 
tired.gif
Lol.........I guess you didn't read into my sarcasm; I'm pretty sure most people understand the easy to grasp concept of things becoming more expensive over time.  619 obviously made the false assumption that I didn't know that inflation takes place.  

My original point is that the price keeps rising; whether it's because of inflation or not, I'm just not gonna start dropping close to 2 bills for shoes.  It used to be closer to a bill, a bill and a half (150 is pretty much my max price point), to buy retros.  There are plenty of shoes that have not risen this drastically in price throughout the years.  An example is the Adidas superstar; I'm pretty sure it's have been around the same price for the past 15 years. 

Sure if you're doing it to collect, you'll get your money back in the end, but when you're just balling in Js on the court like me, it gets expensive really quickly over the years.  

619destroyer wrote:
CDUNK wrote:
For me, I'm tired of the price hikes, among other factors.  2001 3s $100 bucks.  2007 3s $125.  2011 3s $160?  C'mon.  

roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
INFLATION hello!!!!

Inflation has NOTHING to do with it.

JB has now made nearly every pair of retros cost $160.

Air-Jordan XIIIs cost $150 in 1998, $150 in 2005 and $160 in 2010/11.

Air-Jordan III cost $100 in 1988, $100 in 1994, $100 in 2001.....    and now they cost $160  !?!?!

REMEMBER PEOPLE, RETROS HAVE NEXT TO ZERO DESIGN/ DEVELOPMENTAL COSTS!!!!!!! A huge part of Nike/JBs considerably high prices in the late 80s and throughout the 90's were design and developmental costs. Couple this with the fact that Nike/JB spends NO money on advertising retros and you have a complete cash cow that JB is milking for more and more each year. Retros have traditionally a sneakerheads affordable alternative to more advanced technology or OGs but that seems to have changed as of late.

I love shoes and always will. I dont think I will ever quit completley, but I have stopped buying nearly all new releases because I cant justify higher prices for lower quality shoes. I would rather hunt for older models and pay alittle more for better quality. Also, knowing I am helping another NTer/Ebayer personally rather then just feed the JB hypetrain feelsgoodman!
a5615e43aa564c0885c745bcaad4cee86186537.gif

Originally Posted by FLINTGREY

Man I feel you on that one, if the retros don't keep you in there's always new colorways kicks too.

Originally Posted by sbsallday12

Because they're ruining the game. I like having certain pairs because they are special to me. They hold a certain value to me, having watched MJ perform in the shoes. Mass producing these shoes makes them widely available to anyone, not someone who appreciates them for what they are supposed to be. These hype beasts wouldn't know quality if it broke their nose, so they continue to fork out more money for worse sneakers, in effect harming us OGs

Newsflash genius, they were all mass produced to begin with. They only hold "exclusivity" because time has passed and some of them haven't been re-released. Doesn't change the fact that you're worried about exclusivity about shoes that sold millions of pairs when they initially dropped 20+ years ago. The logic around here is hilariously off the wall.

Back
Top Bottom