Richmond, VA man commutes 7 hours total each day for his "dream job" in DC.

False. Plenty of black families/single persons will move to mixed neighborhoods or minority black neighborhoods without any issue, but chances are they go to MoCo instead of NoVA.

Has nothing to do with comfort zone, but more so to do with pricing. Would you rather pay $1800 for 400 sqft in Arlington or $1500 for 750 sqft in Silver Spring? Both share the same qualities as far as nightlife, and proximity to DC goes.

So you say false then in the same post say black folks go to MoCo instead of NoVA?

But yes from a price standpoint you're likely to find more affordable housing in MD than VA, that's obvious.

But from the viewpoint of a young professional, places like Silver Spring do NOT have the same qualities at all

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kathryndill/2014/04/14/1916/

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-neighborhoods-for-millennials-2014-4?op=1

Also there are deals in housing if you know where to look/network (just found one myself)

Last edited:
people raising families should consider Columbia/HoCo MD...its the boonies, boring as ****, and the roads can barely accommodate the traffic, but the schools are mad decent, and property values are not anywhere near as high as most of Nova (still expensive doe)...

False. Plenty of black families/single persons will move to mixed neighborhoods or minority black neighborhoods without any issue, but chances are they go to MoCo instead of NoVA.

Has nothing to do with comfort zone, but more so to do with pricing. Would you rather pay $1800 for 400 sqft in Arlington or $1500 for 750 sqft in Silver Spring? Both share the same qualities as far as nightlife, and proximity to DC goes.

So you say false then in the same post say black folks go to MoCo instead of NoVA?

But yes from a price standpoint you're likely to find more affordable housing in MD than VA, that's obvious.

But from the viewpoint of a young professional, places like Silver Spring do NOT have the same qualities at all

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kathryndill/2014/04/14/1916/

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-neighborhoods-for-millennials-2014-4?op=1

Also there are deals in housing if you know where to look/network (just found one myself)
You're assumption was that black people don't like NoVA because they would be outside their social element. That is false. They'll still go to places outside their "comfort zone", but they would rather do it in other parts of MD than NoVA.

Who tf wants to pay 2K a month in RENT. Don't worry about my funds I live where I want to live only place I want to own a home is Crystal City or close to it. So until then Ill keep renting my 1200 sqft apartment for $1100 in the hood in Suitland :D .

I love Crystal City. I also want to move their one day. Even the name sounds ill. Get me a nice two bedroom condo and just chilllll.

Oh Suitland, they steal hubcaps off cars out there.

Last edited:
I love Crystal City. I also want to move their one day. Even the name sounds ill. Get me a nice two bedroom condo and just chilllll.

Yeah thats the dream spot man 
pimp.gif

Use to live in Belford Towers smh years ago, ruined PG for me. Dudes will break into your car, apartment etc... but if I shoot em I go to jail. I'm in moco now and if I don't relocate I'm buying property in nova. Eff that black culture, if I want it I'll come thru and keep it moving when the nights over.

Care to speculate why?
Because it is cheaper thats why. Thats why my Mom moved from Sterling to Rockville, and my Dad moved from Woodbridge to Fort Washington to own a home close to the city (he also hates VA taxes).

Last edited:
The cheapest parts of the DMV are SE and its neighboring PG cities. That's literally it. Anything else is on Average at least 1400+ utilities.

And there is literally no way I would live in VA ..only reason I used to cross the line was to go to Pentagon or Tyson's lol

So it's purely economic then? Not sure that's the full answer

FWIW black coworkers cite racial profiling (police) as a reason they don't go to VA, not sure how severe this is or how significant of a factor is plays (obviously interdependent)

Last edited:

FWIW black coworkers cite racial profiling (police) as a reason they don't go to VA, not sure how severe this is or how significant of a factor is plays (obviously interdependent)

Absolutely true. Arlington police smh like I got a target on my back when I'm out there

There is profiling out here but it isn't racial. Cops harass young mem (18-26) doesn't matter your race, in my experience. They just so bored out here due to the lack of serious crime they just **** with people to pass time.

There is profiling out here but it isn't racial. Cops harass young mem (18-26) doesn't matter your race, in my experience. They just so bored out here due to the lack of serious crime they just **** with people to pass time.
Yeah for as long as I lived in Loudoun County I was never profiled they are just bored with nothing to do.

View media item 1190044
That's a nice selfie I took after being harassed by the cops last Thursday. They pulled over my boy who was driving because the owner of the car had a suspeneed license. How did they know this? They ran the plates while we were eating hotdogs outside 7/11. Then they waited for us to pull out and stopped as soon as we were on the road. It was about an hour long ordeal. 4 squad cars and a k9 unit. Ridiculous. I'm black and my boys were white and Hispanic.

That may be a contribution for some people, but it also varies depending on lifestyle. For the younger crowd who likes to go into DC to party they'd rather have their own affordable crib in MD to have disposable income than house sharing for that same disposable income in NoVA.

Finances aside, some can have the choice to live in equally priced housing with the top schools in either Rockville or Fairfax, and they'll choose Rockville. Both may be different from their social comfort, but for whatever reason they decide to go with the MD side. Could be as simple as they just liked it better.

Use to live in Belford Towers smh years ago, ruined PG for me. Dudes will break into your car, apartment etc... but if I shoot em I go to jail. I'm in moco now and if I don't relocate I'm buying property in nova. Eff that black culture, if I want it I'll come thru and keep it moving when the nights over.
He don't get it man.

Last edited:
That may be a contribution for some people, but it also varies depending on lifestyle. For the younger crowd who likes to go into DC to party they'd rather have their own affordable crib in MD to have disposable income than house sharing for that same disposable income in NoVA.

Finances aside, some can have the choice to live in equally priced housing with the top schools in either Rockville or Fairfax, and they'll choose Rockville. Both may be different from their social comfort, but for whatever reason they decide to go with the MD side. Could be as simple as they just liked it better.

Appreciate some of your points but all things equal, can't see someone readily choosing Rockville over Arlington, but it all comes down to personal preference so further discussion is basically spinning tires

Last edited:
View media item 1190044
That's a nice selfie I took after being harassed by the cops last Thursday. They pulled over my boy who was driving because the owner of the car had a suspeneed license. How did they know this? They ran the plates while we were eating hotdogs outside 7/11. Then they waited for us to pull out and stopped as soon as we were on the road. It was about an hour long ordeal. 4 squad cars and a k9 unit. Ridiculous. I'm black and my boys were white and Hispanic.

the moral of the story is: don't drive a car with a suspended license

Back
Top Bottom