Rickey Henderson Appreciation Post

I don't really watch too much baseball anymore, so I can't readily think of baseball player who is as athletic as Rickey was in his prime. Fast, strong, if you closed your eyes while he talked, you'd swear it was Mr.T.
One of my favorite athletes of all time, in any sport.

Cheers to the Real Man of Steal.

i7wr762sfoym26fw.jpg

rickey-henderson-939-stolen-bases-1991-photograph-c10103677.jpg

"Lou Brock was the symbol of great base stealing. But today, I am the greatest of all time. Thank you."

pimp.gif

pimp.gif
sick.gif
laugh.gif

Henderson's 1,406 career steals is 50% higher than the previous record of 938 by Lou Brock.

In 1981, he became the first left fielder in the live ball era (1920-on) to lead the majors in outfield putouts.

In 1982, Henderson broke Lou Brock's major league single season record by stealing 130 bases, a total which has not been approached since. He stole 84 bases by the All-Star break; no MLB player has stolen as many as 84 bases in an entire season since 1988, when Henderson himself stole 93.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickey_Henderson#cite_note-26
In 1985, he scored 146 runs in 143 games.

On July 29, 1989, Henderson stole five bases against the Mariners' left-handed Randy Johnson. Henderson was hitless in the game.

In August 1983, in a three-game series against the Brewers and a 2-game series versus the Yankees, Henderson had 13 stolen bases in five games. Baltimore Orioles third baseman Floyd Rayford described the confusion he felt during a particular game, when Henderson was leading off first base and signalling him with two fingers. Henderson quickly stole second base, then third, and Rayford understood the gesture.

Though only in New York for four and a half seasons, Henderson set the Yankees' franchise record with 326 stolen bases (since passed by Derek Jeter).

Henderson led the AL in stolen bases in 1998 (66) at the age of 39.

Henderson holds the record for most home runs to lead off a game, with 81

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

tumblr_lv9dz3Nqht1qaepjeo1_r1_1280.jpg

Man he's up there with Deion and Barkley as the most entertaining and most talented athletes that Ive ever seen. That same combination of production and personality. Love this dude.

pimp.gif

Somebody said Billy Hamilton is the next Ricky.
indifferent.gif

Hamilton has 130 BB in 314 career G. Rickey drew 104 BB in his first full season at 18.
The only one close to him as a base stealer is Tim Rains.

being an Angels fan, i used to hate this dude because he was arrogant and he was a catalyst for those dominating Oakland teams ... then we had him for half a year and dude was my favorite Angel for a couple of months 
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Appreciated

my favorite player as a kid , i did everything in little league just like him
pimp.gif

his records wont be touched ever, game has changed too much. maybe it'll get back to a running game eventually but even then i still think his records will stand .......

the hr swag , poppin his own collar, snatch catch , talkin in the 3rd person
pimp.gif

ricky was awesome .....

Originally Posted by nadroj 32

how he wasnt the first 100% vote getter for the HOF is beyond me

man I am telling you, him and Cal Ripken at that.  But when the voters give their reasons is even worse.  One voter said I was not going to vote for him because I knew everyone else would.  What a bunch of B.S. , talking about its the integrity of the hall of fame at stake if someone gets in 100%.....

was just about to start a Rickey appreciation thread but did the right thing and here we are :smokin

i'm bored at home on a rainy holiday appreciating one of my alltime favs

look at how fat and sloppy some of the ballplayers were back then, especially the pitchers :lol:

dude was awesome ....

no idea why the embed aint workin .....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom