RIP New York Hip-Hop? (Need Some Feedback)

I'm go back and read the thread when I get a chance.

Long story short, I met Zach from Noisey/VICE almost two weeks ago at a live recording of The Combat Jack Show. He was a guest on another Podcast, 'Play Cousins' and had talked loosely about the scene in South Florida with XXXtension, Denzel Curry, Raider Klxn etc, so we talked about that briefly when I approached him. I asked if he as familiar with what was goin on in East Flatbush/Flatbush, Crown Heights etc, and of course he didn't. A lot of these gentrifiers didn't sign up to live in the Brooklyn that Biggie & MOP rapped about. But anyway, so I'm tellin homie about the Spin Music scene and **** and drawing the parallels between Brooklyn today and the atmosphere in Chicago right before Chief Keef broke. Tell him how these young bols beefin on social media and using the songs and ****, let him know it's a lot more than what meets the eyes, I got articles, real life accounts etc, I mentioned Jourvert to him because that's prolly the biggest coverage in news these gang wars have received, that is what really got his attention, mentioned the Loccie Shmula situation..

So boom we exchange #s and ****, so I text him the next day (two Fridays ago) I let him know I got all the **** and I could/would send it if it was coo with him. Said they wasn't really lookin into doin another Noisey but he was down to hear new music, so I sent him 4 jawns:
Curly Sav & Dah Dah - "Can't Hold Me"
Sheff G & Corey Finesse - "No Suburban" Remix
KJ Balla - "Cookin Up"
Leaf Feat. AceNumba5 & Jezz Gasoline - "No Twirl Zone"

No response so I'm thinkin, maybe it was a Lil too much for homie, or he just flat out wasn't ****in wit it. Fast forward to this past Thursday I'm on FB and I see a Noisey/VICE article about the New York scene we should be paying attention to, the 4 videos in the article are 2 of the 4 I sent him..

So they want to pay attention it's just a matter of a transcendent star coming out of this movement..

Here's the article it's Mad cookie cutter, they should've came to a REAL N to do it but whatever..

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/artic...tion-to-new-yorks-most-exciting-new-rap-scene

Long story short, I met Zach from Noisey/VICE almost two weeks ago at a live recording of The Combat Jack Show. He was a guest on another Podcast, 'Play Cousins' and had talked loosely about the scene in South Florida with XXXtension, Denzel Curry, Raider Klxn etc, so we talked about that briefly when I approached him. I asked if he as familiar with what was goin on in East Flatbush/Flatbush, Crown Heights etc, and of course he didn't. A lot of these gentrifiers didn't sign up to live in the Brooklyn that Biggie & MOP rapped about. But anyway, so I'm tellin homie about the Spin Music scene and **** and drawing the parallels between Brooklyn today and the atmosphere in Chicago right before Chief Keef broke. Tell him how these young bols beefin on social media and using the songs and ****, let him know it's a lot more than what meets the eyes, I got articles, real life accounts etc, I mentioned Jourvert to him because that's prolly the biggest coverage in news these gang wars have received, that is what really got his attention, mentioned the Loccie Shmula situation..

So boom we exchange #s and ****, so I text him the next day (two Fridays ago) I let him know I got all the **** and I could/would send it if it was *** with him. Said they wasn't really lookin into doin another Noisey but he was down to hear new music, so I sent him 4 jawns:
KJ Balla - "Cookin Up"

No response so I'm thinkin, maybe it was a Lil too much for homie, or he just flat out wasn't ****in wit it. Fast forward to this past Thursday I'm on FB and I see a Noisey/VICE article about the New York scene we should be paying attention to, the 4 videos in the article are 2 of the 4 I sent him..

So they want to pay attention it's just a matter of a transcendent star coming out of this movement..

Here's the article it's Mad cookie cutter, they should've came to a REAL N to do it but whatever..

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/artic...tion-to-new-yorks-most-exciting-new-rap-scene

NAY NIMLEY BYKE :wow::pimp:

So boom we exchange #s and ****, so I text him the next day (two Fridays ago) I let him know I got all the **** and I could/would send it if it was *** with him. Said they wasn't really lookin into doin another Noisey but he was down to hear new music, so I sent him 4 jawns:
KJ Balla - "Cookin Up"

I actually just peeped the article earlier & was conflicted on it. On one hand it is shining a light on the artist, but on the other hand Noisey is known for tryna hop on the wave of anything that depicts young black men wylin. I was sitting there thinking damn do they really like the music or are they attracted to the drill aura around it.

I actually just peeped the article earlier & was conflicted on it. On one hand it is shining a light on the artist, but on the other hand Noisey is known for tryna hop on the wave of anything that depicts young black men wylin. I was sitting there thinking damn do they really like the music or are they attracted to the drill aura around it.
If it wasn't for places like that or complex, I wouldn't had known about Dave east, russ, and Denzel curry 3-4 years ago. So I appreciate it

If it wasn't for places like that or complex, I wouldn't had known about Dave east, russ, and Denzel curry 3-4 years ago. So I appreciate it

While i do see them post gys like east occasionally i feel as if they promote & endorse rappers who showcase ignorance the most.

While i do see them post gys like east occasionally i feel as if they promote & endorse rappers who showcase ignorance the most.
Well yea same page I seen them it had like peewee longway. But that's why you just godda test em out. Everyone ain't gonna be for everybody

How New York trying to steal Baltimore dances with that "cooking up" :rolleyes

That's the "Bird Flu"/"Ave"

Typical lol

typical you say.... meanwhile Carti blew off "In New York I Milly Rock"...........

Now as for something for a different listener in NYC... Came across this & it gave me SDE Cam/ Early Jada Vibes. he ate that ****.

Last edited:

KJ Balla - "Cookin Up"

I'd be heated. Vice is becoming a bigger and bigger platform. He get all that credit but didn't know nothing about it. How would you describe the spin music scene? Never heard of it.

Why is it so hard for NYC to figure out it's sound/ identity?

What a mess, Opp this Opp that murder/death/kill.

Yeah. I really don't understand how NYC hasn't come up with a new sound yet. It's kinda crazy to me tbh.

I think being the birthplace of hip hop....and being held to having an NY sound" limits the creativity some.

Best thing to come out of NYC in the past 10 years is the term "lit" Great word!

Y'all complain about NYC sound being dated then dudes switch it up and y'all still complain.

Jay, Fab, Dave East, French, ASAP, Don Q, A Boogie, these kids from BK, etc. none of their stuff sounds similar

Only place that has a distinct overall "sound" that has evolved from it's infancy while still feeling "current" is the west coast.

I have no issue with the NYC rap scene being probably the most diverse in the country right now.

Back
Top Bottom