Ron Artest Agrees To Terms With The Lakers vol: It's a done deal (Full MLE $32 mill for 5 year)

I think a lot of my fellow Laker fans are underratting Ariza, under estimatin gwhat we have lost. Ariza was unique and well suited for playin ga long sideKobe. Ariza gets his points with few shots and touches and you need that so that Kobe and Pau and Lamar get the attempts and tocuhes taht they need. Ariza canrebound and get the steal and the start the break, he can make the pass in the open vourt on the break or agains ta press or he can finish the break or a cutin the triangle offense or he could just take a defensive rebound coast to coast or grab the offensive rebound and slash and dunk or he could spot up shoot.The man barely had to touch the ball to be the third best offensive player in the players overall and that does not take into account that he was our bestdefensive player.

he did not just defend well he defended extraordinarily well and he could switch and pick up anyone 1 through 3 on any nigh tand he could guar dall but thestrongest 4's. Not only would stay home on his own man and play text book man on man defense he was able to bend the rules of how to play defense, he wasgifted enough that he could attempt things against which most coaches advise. Most players shuld not play the passin glanes like he does but he can because hewill get the steal, the deflection or he can race back to his man and not be bruned. He can steal the ball from his own man with is hard to do in the post handchecking era. He can steal the ball at angles and in situations where if most players tried that, they would get a foul or get burned but Ariza did not foulmuch and he did not get burned but once a blue a moon.

Baskbatball fans who only career abour stats or fantasy teams, or fans who do not watch man ygames and look at reputation or fans who watch but just have neverbeen taught much about defense (I am no coaching guru but I did play enough ball under enough coaches to appreciate defense) and were the one who called theSpurs0Piston seven agme thriller of a series "boring." Thank goodness we got Artest and did not let Ariza go without compensating and once again, wedid improve on paper but teams do not wi non paper as we Laker fans have learned in past years.

At least Artest appearntlynot juts emotionally mature and stable but a leader so agains, hopefully he might make himself the soul of a defense that needs moreintensity, especiall yif Phil retires now or next year. Kobe has to put a lot in offense, Artest can be the stopper and emotional leader who can hopefully getguys like Bynum, Odo mand Pau to use tehir physical attributes to their potential and becomes the type of dominant defensive unit that we'll likely need.

The road a repeat is inhierantly tougher, the Lakers being in town already is a big event but as champions there is now no chance of get anything less than theopposition's best effort every night. The depth should be able to grind out a great record again but the playoffs should be much tougher. While everychampionship is a major acomplishment, the path faced by the '08-'09 was the easiest for any Laker ever and one of teh easiet in years. Utah back intothe playoffs, Housto nwas beat up, The Nugget were good but were very inexperieced outside Billups and the C's were hurt, LeBron had no hel pand the Magicwere just not that good, at least by the standards of conference champion.

THis year if we repeat i twill probably involve beating a better Portland teams, and they give us enough trouble as is; a more experienced but equally astalented Nuggets team; a healthy Spurs team, who have the best powerforward ever and one of the ebst back courts ever and then there will be a healthy C'steam or Cav's team whose Shaq experiement will have proven effective. Artest had better change the defensive cultures of this team to justify breaking upproven championship chemistry.

Ron is the Rodman as to Kobe is the Jordan.
This can turn out really well.
Just dont want to see Cavs with Ariza.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
Woah and I was just worrying about the Lakers offseason andI see this.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Edit:
laugh.gif
at this.

2i6dnhx.jpg

People saying Ron and Kobe will have the best defensive on the wing. I feel at this point of the career, their defense now is a shell of what it is. A bitoverrated. Still good, but they wont lock anyone down

Ron is a liability almost like Rodman was. The only difference between the two (thus far) was that Michael was able to tame Dennis.

It's going to take a lot for Kobe to keep Ron in check.

He's a ticking time bomb. I will be tuning in. and following (via twitter).
laugh.gif

I think Ariza was insulted because the lakers COULD have offered him more money than the MLE, but he's dumb in thinking other teams would have done so.

Ariza should have just accepted the deal, he was back home, making more money than previous years, just won a championship, and seemed to have good chemistrywith the players. His agent messed up, but so did Ariza. Sometimes its not about the money. I really thought Ariza found himself a home in the NBA after goingfrom Knicks to Orlando, but now it seems he's just on the move again.

I like the Artest deal, and I think come PLAYOFFS we'll see the effect he has on the team. Because I know he will be hungry. He adds KG intensity to thisLA squad. And after winning the championship this year LA needs someone ( besides kobe) to keep them hungry and motivated.

for 3 more years while kobe still has some left. Artest > Ariza so im not mad at all. Actually happy, i met Ron before and he's a cool guy.

Originally Posted by eye see soles

Ron is a liability almost like Rodman was. The only difference between the two (thus far) was that Michael was able to tame Dennis.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@ Ron being a "ticking" time bomb....Ron has been playing under control...as much as people want to discredit him, the dude hasmatured (on the court). The Artest/Kobe pairing will NOT be a problem....you can't even compare the Rodman sideshow to Ron Artest.....I mean +!@!...Ronwasn't even in the top 50 for techs last year...

Originally Posted by Q46totheE

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@ Ron being a "ticking" time bomb....Ron has been playing under control...as much as people want to discredit him, the dude has matured (on the court). The Artest/Kobe pairing will NOT be a problem....you can't even compare the Rodman sideshow to Ron Artest.....I mean +!@!...Ron wasn't even in the top 50 for techs last year...
You're right, he has been playing under control, but that Lakers series really tested his mental fortitude. He did some stupid things(getting in Kobe's face, making certain gestures) that may not have ultimately caused his team the series, but they played a major part in a few decisivegames.

I believe in Ron. I just wouldn't want him to mess up the chemistry of a world championship team. But I know that Jerry Bus, Phil Jackson and Kobe knowwhat they're doing, so I'll be eager to see his continued growth on and off the court.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

Basically we swapped Ariza for Arest. On paper we get more talent but why risk proven chemistry? Ariza was the perfect fit because he could thrive with few shots, he ran the break, he finally developed his spot up jumper and he could play his man and the passing lanes without getting burned. Ariza was a better fit on a team that already has Kobe, Artest does not seem like has good of a fit, despite being so talented.

The one way I could see this turning out to be an improvment for the team is that Artest does seem more intense and can bring more of an edge and defensive mindset that still was not fully solidified this season. Trevor Ariza is a very good player and great defensive player but he seemed to go about his craft quietly and attacked indirectly, by jumping the passing lanes, denying the ball and stealing the ball in help situations. Artest takes defense personally and that style of defense is more likely to rub off on teammates and lead to the type of team defense we will probably need if there is to be repeat.

This isn't a question for the lakers to answer.

Ariza needs to answer this question. We were going to give him the same money. Hee thought he could get more and in the process of getting more a proven playercomes along and takes a shorter deal worth less money.

I don't know what he wanted us to do. Wait around all summer for money he wasn't going to find? Screw it. He made a dumb move and as much as I want towish him the best I hope he fails. I wanted him to be apart of this organization for a long time. But he wanted top be greedy and it cost him.

Originally Posted by tupac003

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

Basically we swapped Ariza for Arest. On paper we get more talent but why risk proven chemistry? Ariza was the perfect fit because he could thrive with few shots, he ran the break, he finally developed his spot up jumper and he could play his man and the passing lanes without getting burned. Ariza was a better fit on a team that already has Kobe, Artest does not seem like has good of a fit, despite being so talented.

The one way I could see this turning out to be an improvment for the team is that Artest does seem more intense and can bring more of an edge and defensive mindset that still was not fully solidified this season. Trevor Ariza is a very good player and great defensive player but he seemed to go about his craft quietly and attacked indirectly, by jumping the passing lanes, denying the ball and stealing the ball in help situations. Artest takes defense personally and that style of defense is more likely to rub off on teammates and lead to the type of team defense we will probably need if there is to be repeat.

This isn't a question for the lakers to answer.

Ariza needs to answer this question. We were going to give him the same money. Hee thought he could get more and in the process of getting more a proven player comes along and takes a shorter deal worth less money.

I don't know what he wanted us to do. Wait around all summer for money he wasn't going to find? Screw it. He made a dumb move and as much as I want to wish him the best I hope he fails. I wanted him to be apart of this organization for a long time. But he wanted top be greedy and it cost him.

I can believe I woke up to this news. I wanted him on the lakers a few seasons ago. I guess better late than never.
Rex is right to some degree Trevor seemed to hone his game to complement Kobes.
Artest at this point I doubt would be so inclined he is who he is. If he drobs some lbs he and Kobe could lock down the
perimeter. But Kobes losing a step and artest has to be slower than ariza so whos going to take that wild dash into the passing
lanes with enough speed to get back to his man.
When kobe gambles the other team usually gets an easy bucket.

Originally Posted by Q46totheE

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@ Ron being a "ticking" time bomb....Ron has been playing under control...as much as people want to discredit him, the dude has matured (on the court). The Artest/Kobe pairing will NOT be a problem....you can't even compare the Rodman sideshow to Ron Artest.....I mean +!@!...Ron wasn't even in the top 50 for techs last year...
You're right, he has been playing under control, but that Lakers series really tested his mental fortitude. He did some stupid things (getting in Kobe's face, making certain gestures) that may not have ultimately caused his team the series, but they played a major part in a few decisive games.

I believe in Ron. I just wouldn't want him to mess up the chemistry of a world championship team. But I know that Jerry Bus, Phil Jackson and Kobe know what they're doing, so I'll be eager to see his continued growth on and off the court.
I think a lot of those "stupid" things you're talking about specifically from the Rockets/Lakers series were instances whereRon's rep preceded any sort of objectivity from the refs. He was clearly targeted, and again...that is IMO totally due to what his rep is.

Ron is a major upgrade over Ariza. Dude wants a ring more than anything else at this point in his career. He's got a hell of an opportunity assumingeveryone stays healthy in LA. I love this move, and this puts even more distance between the Lakers and the rest of the NBA. The rich just got richer. You're not going to miss Ariza at all. He was/is a journeyman for all purposes who finally carved his niche in the league due to playing alongside Kobe. Who knows if he can duplicate his success when he's in Houston. Personally, I think he's a flash in the pan type of player. I believe the Rocketsoverpaid, and the MLE they gave him in 20/20 could turnout to be a major flop on the Eddie Robinson (Bulls) level.

Originally Posted by JordanNB23

Lakers GM"s/Front office are the best in the world...A lot of NBA teams need to take notes

QFT

I wish they would mentor the Bulls mgmt. Lakers win and sign players to make them better.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Lakers GM"s/Front office are the best in the world...A lot of NBA teams need to take notes

laugh.gif
Same cats were ready to choke cupcake for a lot of his blunders pre-2008/09....funny how a championship can make a mediocre coach (Doc Rivers)look great...and in another instance, have an entire fanbase here on NT all of a sudden respect the GM etc....

Originally Posted by AntBanks81

QFT

I wish they would mentor the Bulls mgmt. Lakers win and sign players to make them better.

Never going to happen. The Bulls owner is so cheap and he NEVER pays the luxury tax... So it was right on schedule that BG left town... If it's not aplayer he really likes or that they'll have to compete with another team for that player, they're gone. This is a reason MJ didn't want to comeback to them.

And BTW, god damn Ron Ron and Shaq. I can't root for these teams
frown.gif

Letting go of Ariza this year is kind of like letting go of Turiaf last year.

Both moves will work out for the better.

Originally Posted by nnarum

Originally Posted by AntBanks81

QFT

Never going to happen. The Bulls owner is so cheap and he NEVER pays the luxury tax... So it was right on schedule that BG left town... If it's not a player he really likes or that they'll have to compete with another team for that player, they're gone. This is a reason MJ didn't want to come back to them.

And BTW, god damn Ron Ron and Shaq. I can't root for these teams
frown.gif

Its not really that MJ didn't want to come back he was pushed out. Reisendorf and Jerry Krause made the comment that "Organizations winchampionships" They were discounting the fact the the team won 6 championships in 8 years (only lost the 2 years Mike was out and had just returned) andwere eager to rebuild.

Reisendorf only cares about the Bulls for the money they make him. That clown said he would trade all six rings for one world series win (he also owns whitesox) prior to 2005.

R.C. Buford and the Spurs front office >

Mitch and redeemed himself the past 2 seasons though. Before that, he was decent.

So the Rockets overpaid for Ariza, when if the Lakers signed him for the MLE, it woulda been great value signing. Now we can go and lock up LO as well!
laugh.gif

The Rockets aren't paying him the MLE to be the #1 option. The Rockets are paying the MLE to a 24 year old, who's been improving his offensive game,and as is, one of the best peremeter defenders in the league.

Shane Battier can't last forever.

Back
Top Bottom