Ronnie Fieg Collabs - Tracking order link http://shop.kithnyc.com/pages/tracking

Over the past 2 years, Ronnie Fieg has made a name for himself designing Asics. His collaborations with the running brand have not only helped jumpstart his own career, but also have brought an entirely new consumer to Asics shoes. Before, asics was mainly a running shoe brand with very few collaborations dedicated towards “sneakerheads”. Now all the hypebeasts flock to David-Z (now KITH) to camp for every Asics release. These are the facts, but I want to focus on the true effect that this has had on sneaker culture, and how Mr. *** (that is what I will be calling him from now on) has hurt the sneaker game. Not only that, but also how *** shouldnt be applauded for these so-called “classic designs”. 

So to start off, I’d like to tell you a little bit about how *** became popular, and what he used to be. If you go back in the Nice Kicks archives and type in  ”Ronnie Fieg” (Nice Kicks has always been the blog most favorable towards him-they posted ob every sneaker he ever designed) you will see that he has been making collaborations with Asics since 08. And to be honest, most of them are gross in my opinion. Time and time again he created these horrendous looking shoes that, while being just as limited as his newer collabs (around 300 pairs) didn’t gain any attention, or hype. 

This all changed with his release of the super red Asics. This was that first collab he ever did that gained some hype. What was the trick, you ask? What made this shoe different from all the others was its simplicity, and good quality. Now, when you think of a collab shoe from brands like Nike or Adidas, its usually not simple. The shoes that are simple are usually classics like Infrared 6s and Concord 11s from Jordan, infrared 90s or blue or red OG colorway air max 1s, or adidas black/white shell-toe superstars.THese shoes are so iconic because of their history, but one thing that collabs don’t have is history. Collaborations like Supreme x Nike, Stash x Nike, UNDFTD x New Balance or Bape x Adidas  all rely on their complicated designs that bring something new to the table. This is what I dont understand… Ronnie *** Asics such as Super Reds, Coves, Mint Leafs, and all of his other designs in the past 2 years dont follow the patterns of other collaboration shoes. They’re more to the tune of classic older shoes like I stated above. And Ronnie Fieg Asics Gel Lyte 3s certainly aren;t classics. They are in fact the opposite.

Shoes based on hype die down. Take South Beach Lebrons. After the hype gradually went up, making the shoe worth almost $1000, you can now find a DS pair pretty easily for 500. His shoes are all based on hype. These high quality, 1-2 color plain shoes that dont even take a so-called designer to make have become so hyped because of the name. Ronnie *** could literally take a **** on an Asics Gel Lyte 3, call it the ****-toes, and have it sell out. 

Thats another thing that pisses me off. NOBODY CAN GET THEM. He purposely makes only a few hundred pairs to add hype, and then puts them online so 100 out of 5000 people get em, leaving the other 4900 people pissed off that the servers crashed… In turn building the hype for the next release. And this new KITH website is no better than David Z. Im going to New York next month, and certainly wont be heading the KITHRTUHTH. 

And what the hell is up with his naming of his newer shoes. Salmon toe. Leather Back. Could they be any less creative?? Whats next, pigskin mid-panel GL 3s??? the ****-colored outsole GT 2s?? The khaki tongues?? The pink bottoms??

Long story short… Ronnie *** became famous because of hype. Same way Supreme bacame hyped… I HAVE NO IDEA!!!. EmmanuelLabor put it best, “He isnt a designer, hes a a customizer.” He isnt even a good one at that. THe fact that the shoe has good quality isnt his doing… Its the company that made it. If Dave White does a collab with Jordan Brand and its ****** quality, is it his fault? NO. So inversely, its not ***’s doing. Shoes like the navy-aquas, super red/blues, coves, mint leafs, and snapper toes are all simple shoes that anybody could make, and have made. There is nothing original about what he does. No extra Branding. No variety in materials. Nubuck and Pigskin. Thats all he uses. He went from making terrible colorful designs with no hype to simple, not really even designed shoes that somehow became hyped. I don’t respect the way he does releases, and certainly don’t respect his customizations. And funniest of all, in 5 years his shoes will be forgotten. Guaranteed.

wait is anyone seeing the shoes on the website?

i keep refreshing but they still haven't shown up for me

not srs

Whenever it's a last second decision for me....the decision ALWAYS ends up being YES lol
Yeah definitely.  One will be copped without a doubt, just on the fence at the moment.  Probably gonna be RGs in the end anyway.

Yeah definitely.  One will be copped without a doubt, just on the fence at the moment.  Probably gonna be RGs in the end anyway.
haha same here. RG's first. Then back for Sages if possible.

I actually prefer the sages in regular pics over the kith jig filter pics lol. 

gonna grab both and see what happens. I like both but will prolly only keep one since I'm trying to consolidate shoes right now haha.

EVERYONE SHOULD. THESE RELEASES BEEN CAKE WALK AND WHATEVER SIZE YOU GUYS NEED ILL GET THEM FOR A 150 DOLLAR FEE 
GOOD GUY CRIP COMIN' THRU.

but really though i'm so amped. first time in awhile buying some sneakers and I'm really feelin' this set. 24 hourssssss

Ready for tomorrow.

salt_-_02.jpg

Back
Top Bottom