Sam Mitchell FIRED

Jesse D. Garrabrant/NBAE/Getty Images
Raptors fire coach Sam Mitchell; Triano takes over

Posted Dec 3 2008 5:46PM

TORONTO (AP) -- The Toronto Raptors have fired coach Sam Mitchell one day after the team absorbed an embarrassing loss at Denver.

RAPTORS' OFFICIAL RELEASE
Toronto Raptors President and GM Bryan Colangelo announced Wednesday that Sam Mitchell has been relieved of his duties as the team's head coach. Read Full Article
Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo says assistant Jay Triano has been promoted to interim coach. Triano's first game as coach is Friday night at Utah.

Colangelo calls Wednesday's move a difficult but necessary step.

SAM MITCHELL COACHING RECORD
Season W L W-L %
2004-05 33 49 .402
2005-06 27 55 .329
2006-07 * 47 35 .573
2007-08 41 41 .500
2008-09 8 9 .471
Career 156 189 .452
*Named NBA Coach of the Year
Toronto is 8-9 after it lost 132-93 at Denver on Tuesday night -- the fifth-worst defeat in franchise history.

Mitchell was 156-189 in four-plus seasons as Raptors coach. He was honored as the NBA's coach of the year for the 2006-07 season.

Triano is in his seventh season on the Raptors' coaching staff. He becomes the seventh coach in franchise history.

eek.gif
eek.gif
.. long overdueIMO..

IN COLANGELO WE TRUST
pimp.gif

Looking forward to see what Jay Triano could do.
pimp.gif

well it seemed to be either colangelo would say he messed up with JO or he'd get rid of mitchell..... should be interesting how this all pans out, but as
mentioned earlier "IN COLANGELO WE TRUST
pimp.gif
"

I just hope Bosh gets to put in his two cents worth with upper management on who he'd like to see as the next coach. VC saw so many coach changes whichprobably didn't go to well with the frustration he had as Bosh is somewhat experiencing now.

Hopefully things will get better as the organization heads towards the free agent pool of 2010.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
@ everyone msgng each other at the same time when this happened.

Yea hopefully things work out for the best and we start winning.
Hopefully bosh doesnt leave when his contract expires.

I go against everyone. Mitchell helped develop Bosh into the player he is today. Firing him this early was far too premature.

J-O's lack of contribution > Firing Mitchell

Originally Posted by ssgefiestoakagerger

I go against everyone. Mitchell helped develop Bosh into the player he is today. Firing him this early was far too premature.

i couldn't agree with you more. JO's lack of contribution, the weak bench we have, the inconsistancy of moon, parker, and kapono are allfactors of the 8-9 record. but sam is a horrible coach also. i never thought he was fit for the job. no crunch time experience and he wasnt the coach thatcould bring the raps over the hump. i guess change had to start somewhere. too bad Mitchell got the short end of the stick.

Originally Posted by jcbacall

Originally Posted by ssgefiestoakagerger

i couldn't agree with you more. JO's lack of contribution, the weak bench we have, the inconsistancy of moon, parker, and kapono are all factors of the 8-9 record. but sam is a horrible coach also. i never thought he was fit for the job. no crunch time experience and he wasnt the coach that could bring the raps over the hump. i guess change had to start somewhere. too bad Mitchell got the short end of the stick.

Players' performance are greatly impacted by how well a coaching job is. Each of those players have skills/talent, but it depends on how well a coach canbring it out of the players to the court. You got Kapono that's the best 3-pter in the league, yet he doesn't get the ball to shoot. You got Moon whocan jump to the moon yet Sam only put him out to stand at the corners. You got Bargnani who wasted the last two years w/ NO improvment to his game. And Ithink most of us here are already tired of watching 48 minutes of high-low pick & roll between Bosh/Calderon/JO EVERY game. Their style of play is waaaaytoo slow for the NBA. I'm even more
mad.gif
that they played no defense allseason long, and it was up to Sam to enforce that. I really think he is way too inexperienced to coach a young team like the Raps. You need someone withexperience (and knowledge) to spearhead a young team, and I think Triano is a better option in that sense, where he had coached for many years and wasassistant coach for the USA team.

possible coaches to take over...

flip saunders
mike fratello
jeff van gundy
avery johnson
butch carter??? haha

in colangelo we trust!!

Originally Posted by jcbacall

possible coaches to take over...

flip saunders
mike fratello
jeff van gundy
avery johnson
butch carter??? haha

in colangelo we trust!!

FLIP FLIP FLIP

something tells me he would work out

Man...

Another tight game and we come out defeated... again.

The surrounding cast for Bosh, I don't know what to say... I have faith in them, but that may be biased.

Underachievers maybe a better word.

I am a frustrated Raptors fan.

Back
Top Bottom