Sampling in Hip Hop

Originally Posted by HypeBeast McStreetwear

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Last time I checked you pay to sample unless the beat is on a mixtape. So, skill.
Man what are you talking about? 
laugh.gif

People (Beatmaker purists) will tell you to be creative and slice samples into a million pieces but sometimes the record doesn't call for that. If a section of a sample is dope, loop it. Its not a big deal. If you're unable to do anything besides loops then yea, you're wack.

On albums, these samples are keeping food in some of these artists belly anyways.
laugh.gif

Agreed.Sometimes I just don't feel like cutting (or chopping) up CERTAIN records because it's a VERY intricate and time consuming thing and you have to kinda plot and plan where you're gonna chop the record (i'm an MPC guy so there's no mouse to click or special programs that auto chop samples for me).

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Last time I checked you pay to sample unless the beat is on a mixtape. So, skill.
what?
Producers pay to sample other people's songs, so it can not be thievery. Unless we're talking about songs with samples on mixtapes, which is free music anyway.

Man what are you talking about? 
laugh.gif

As a producer I have a love hate relationship with sampling. People (Beatmaker purists) will tell you to be creative and slice samples into a million pieces but sometimes the record doesn't call for that. If a section of a sample is dope, loop it. Its not a big deal. If you're unable to do anything besides loops then yea, you're wack.

On albums, these samples are keeping food in some of these artists belly anyways.
laugh.gif

I don't even know what that got to do with what I just said.

what?
Producers pay to sample other people's songs, so it can not be thievery. Unless we're talking about songs with samples on mixtapes, which is free music anyway.

I don't even know what that got to do with what I just said.
It didn't have anything to do with you said actually. Just a general statement.

sampling is an art when done properly (Pete Rock, Primo, Damu, Grap, Dilla). Some cats can take a tiny element from ANY genre of music and turn it into something completely diffferent and you can feel the soul they put into it. That takes skill, creativity and most importantly PASSION. Anybody can take a loop and drop a drum beat over it. That's lazy. (looks over to my record collection)

anybody got an sp 1200 for sale?

*flamesuit on* Dilla didn't do much to some of the samples he used

noted, but it's the combination of samples he used from different records that gave him a unique sound
(I would never flame someone for speaking their mind)

I think this topic can have alot of interesting thoughts expressed if we all keep things civil and open minded. I've been on this site for years and hardly post but this thread popped up in front of me out of nowhere and I'm glad it did. I might finally have something to talk about up in here.

I prefer samples over original beats, mainly because I just like to hear the old soul come out in hip hop.

When done correctly, sampling can be a beautiful thing.

Originally Posted by IhaveGout

here's another interesting video concerning the use of samples

A MUST HAVE for every record digger.
Spoiler [+]

Back
Top Bottom