Sandwich/Lunch ideas for the office/at work

I'm endeavoring to both save some money and more importantly eat healthier. I'm usually stuck on campus for lunch where I usually eat some sort of junk food everyday.

I have access to a small fridge, microwave and toaster oven so I'm thinking of starting to bring my own sandwiches a la this GQ article from a few months ago (#1). I'm not one who suffices for PB&J or tuna sandwiches, I need calories. So salads are kinda out of the question for me too.

Anyone have any other suggestions/ideas or lunch at work routines?

1. Build a smarter sandwich

26466_174.jpg

Sturdy, grainy bread from a bakery, sliced by you. Not only will it taste fresh and flavorful; it won’t turn into a squishy mess.
Cheese adds a salty, creamy texture to the mix. Use something good, like an aged Cheddar or Gruyere, sliced thin.
Like Tom Colicchio preaches, “Keep the wet stuff away from the bread

i bring leftovers from the night before to work for lunch... that way i only have to prepare something once and get leftovers out of my fridge.

You should check out Boston Market's frozen dinners, they actually are REALLY good. The Mac & Cheese tastes exactly like it does in Boston Market.

I eat something similar to the sandwich above (#1) most days at work.  I add alfalfa sprouts instead of lettuce though and don't even use mayonnaise. 

It's cheaper and healthier than eating out everyday. 

I'm usually in a rush in the morning, so I brought bread, deli meat, and cheese and just keep it in the refrigerator at work. I make that into a sandwich, but unfortunately we don't have a toaster so it ends up being extra soft. So what I do now is, I usually have a bag of chips at my desk. I put the chips into the sandwich and it gives it better texture and adds a little flavor. Probably not the healthiest lunch, but it saves a bunch of money.

I'm trying to avoid processed meats, and I'm not a fan of frozen meals which complicates everything.

Great thread idea! This is something that I do think about... also it has to do with the fact that I'm a Vegetarian. I think it is very important to bring food that you can eat at various times during the work day if you have that flexibility. Often I like to have a cup of oatmeal in the morning (instant mix usually), crackers and cheese during the mid day, and a light sandwich for lunch. I'm also trying to reduce the amount of coffee I drink everyday... it's getting ridiculous as I seem to be drinking 3-4 cups. I rarely eat out during work, and it really does save you a lot of money in the long run. $6-7 a day sure does accumulate.

I have organic cereal, organic milk, organic PB and blueberry spread, organic bread, some everything bagels and cream cheese lying around at the office since we have a large kitchen.
laugh.gif

I need to start buying some cold cuts.
laugh.gif

I just keep it simple for instance ham & cheese or peanut butter & jelly. Other times I bring leftover food from the night before. I usually eat out on Fridays during lunch.

Originally Posted by infamousod

I'm trying to avoid processed meats, and I'm not a fan of frozen meals which complicates everything.

You can make your own roast beef, roast chicken or turkey and slice it thin for sandwiches.
You can try making wraps or pitas if you get sick of regular sandwiches.

I like making rice bowls.  Usually some brown rice with grilled chicken or steak with vegetables and some low-fat dressing/sauce.

always pack my own lunch,

sandwich (no cheese, no mayo, sometimes replace the lettuce with spinach)
bag of baby carrots
bag of almonds
bag of snow peas
bananna
apple
and pear

all to munch til the next meal around 4-5pm

Excellent thread. I was just thinking about what I wanted to start bringing to work so I can stop speding $40/day for damn airport food and in vending machines. Try to include pictures with your post if you can.

Back
Top Bottom