SAT-- Study Tips?

take advantage of the SAT study books. i didn't. when i looked at the study book, i realized some of the questions were extremely similar..
smh.gif

Analyze the sentences (if given) when they ask for synonymous words, you'll be able to eliminate choices a lot better.

If you get things like "Paradine most nearly means...." then you're totally effed and on your own.

just study ALOT of vocab and youll get 2000+. The vocab and reading is what screws people over the most. the math is easy, you just need to manage your time well. the only multiple choice test that mattered ive ever done well on
mad.gif
laugh.gif
but dont be bummed if you dont score high, a good GPA can offset a low SAT score depending on what tier school youre applying to

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

just study ALOT of vocab and youll get 2000+. The vocab and reading is what screws people over the most. the math is easy, you just need to manage your time well. the only multiple choice test that mattered ive ever done well on
mad.gif
laugh.gif
but dont be bummed if you dont score high, a good GPA can offset a low SAT score depending on what tier school youre applying to

Do u know what kind of math is on the test??

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

-Get Sleep
-Get Sleep
-Eat Breakfast
-Dress comfortably
This
Just relax and take the test.  Studying isnt gonna do much but stress you out.

I took mine January and my friend happened to be in the same class as me and during one of the breaks, he took out a blunt and asked me if i want to hit that in the bathroom with him. I couldn't pass such such a nice offer.

1890 ftl
smh.gif

Retaking it in June.

Originally Posted by SoleAsian

I took mine January and my friend happened to be in the same class as me and during one of the breaks, he took out a blunt and asked me if i want to hit that in the bathroom with him. I couldn't pass such such a nice offer.

1890 ftl
smh.gif

Retaking it in June.

Huh?? Dude do u realize thats a pretty GOOD score

Originally Posted by EmnabtnacesoRJ

1890 ftl
smh.gif

Retaking it in June.

I go to a nerdy high school, average student in my school gets like 2150 at least.
And I have a !%%!!* GPA so I want as high of an SAT score as possible to help with colleges.

And to answer your question about what kind of math questions, they're all not that bad. Everything on math on the SATs I learned or already knew by 9th grade. The math I took in 10th grade and the math I'm taking now doesn't appear on SATs

1890 ftl
smh.gif

Retaking it in June.

I go to a nerdy high school, average student in my school gets like 2150 at least.
And I have a !%%!!* GPA so I want as high of an SAT score as possible to help with colleges.

And to answer your question about what kind of math questions, they're all not that bad. Everything on math on the SATs I learned or already knew by 9th grade. The math I took in 10th grade and the math I'm taking now doesn't appear on SATs
eek.gif
Good lord...... What college do u want to go to

If you don't know the answer to a question, it's better to guess if you can eliminate at least one of the answers. Look at the answers one by one and figure out which ones DEFINITELY cannot be right. If you can elminate one of them, just go ahead and guess at the one you think is correct.

There's math behind that strategy that I don't feel like explaining.
laugh.gif

1890 ftl
smh.gif

Retaking it in June.

eek.gif
Good lord...... What college do u want to go to

I'm not setting high standards
laugh.gif

Like I said, GPA is !!**$# so even if I get a high SAT score, the GPA would bring me down from going to a really nice college.
I live in NYC, so I'm probably going to one of the SUNYs.

Originally Posted by young lad

make sure you get rest the night before. Get an SAT book, and do at least 2 practice exams for real (timing yourself, no messing around).  This will give you a good feel of how it will be like on the real exam day. Practice tests are incredibly helpful. For the grammar section, just understand the "tricks" that can help you get a good score. There's just a bunch of general rules you need to remember that will help a lot. Don't blank out while reading passages, since that can happen due to the boring topics they tend to choose (womens rights, excerpts old autobiographical journals, etc.) Good luck!
laugh.gif

A good nights sleep before and a good breakfast the morning of and you're set. I took a prep course for it, stressed myself a bit, and got a 1400.

The next time around, I didn't study and got a 1500. The key is to not stress yourself out.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

mad.gif
laugh.gif

Do u know what kind of math is on the test??
goes up to Algebra II/Pre Calc. Majority of it is pretty basic, just know formulas, factoring, etc

You dont need to study.

Just keep doing practice tests.

I completely winged it, ended up doing poorly in reading/writing due to me falling asleep on it, but i did solid on math.

All you need is sleep.

1890 ftl
smh.gif

Retaking it in June.

Dude... are you me posting when I'm sleeping?
eek.gif
Same boat my man. Asian, friends are geniuses, test-taking skills sucks. Not all Asians are smart.
tired.gif

Taking it the first time on March 13. Judgment Day is coming.
tired.gif
Took like 6 practices including two PSATs (Did mediocre on both PSATs... lol "NMSQ"). I say I'll get somewhere from 1700-1900. Hoping to get to 2000, to qualify for some scholarship. I'm pretty sure it's good enough for Ohio State though, but I'm also taking the ACT like twice sometime soon.

Really to study vocab, there's no point in trying to cram it all in because these are words you read in classic literature and that you come across through a lot of reading. The College Board doesn't expect many people to get those kinds of words. You could try to learn your roots, prefixes and suffixes though.

Math is really not that bad. I don't want to come off as a hypocrite because I probably won't get a 2400, but many of you probably have what a tutor would consider a good "base" of learning. You've done them before, but you just got to remember.

On critical reading, scan the questions before reading the long passages. If you aren't anal-retentive, then you can do the ones that say "In lines 45-46, what does YNS mean" for example to get rid of the easy questions first, giving you more time. If you spend more than a minute on a question or can't pay attention at all to what the question asks, SKIP IT. You'll do less damage than missing it as it is 1/4th of a point as you know. Three-five missed can make a difference of a few hundred points.

Essays... don't really know what to say. Make references to the passage by actually quoting it in your essay. Assume the grader doesn't know what you are talking about.

To study: Buy the blue College Board SAT practice book. It has tips, helps, and goes over all concepts along with 10 practice tests w/ answer key. If you think it is too expensive, think about college scholarships. A few thousand or a few $5 bills?

My friend got a 2160 on it on his first try... I was salty as hell.
frown.gif
He got a 800 on the math. Good luck to all SAT takers.

Back
Top Bottom