Saturday Night Live Has Gotten Way Too Lame

Originally Posted by MASARO

O and someone tell Bobby Moynihan to pack his bags....he's one of the worst with that annoying voice always playing the same type of characters and not funny at all
Lmao wow. He's actually a real cool dude. I speak with him all the time. An hour ago he was telling me when he was doing his skit with Snooki, she asked him how much does he make. So he tells her, and she goes she makes that in a week lol. He says that Snooki is really nice though and knows who exactly she is. And he said season 4 and 5 for Jersey Shore are already made. 

Ok, I'm gonna break this down into terms that hopefully NT can comprehend:

SNL has NEVER been consistent, even dating back to the original cast. They have their good and bad nights, as well as good and bad skits. We hold certain eras ('70s, late '80s-early '90s) in such high regard because we only have access to popular clips and based on what those performers did LATER in their careers. But if you watch an episode from 1992 (Meyers, Carvey, Farley, Spade, Sandler), front to back, you will find yourself fast forwarding through most of it to find something memorable. NBC knows this, and so many clips have been driven into viewers' minds, that we're conditioned to think SNL had "great" eras. It was never consistent though. It had its moments, like any other variety show.

VH1 shows old SNL episodes every afternoon, and if you see one from the early '90s, I dare you to say it's any better (as one singular episode) than one from today.

Ok, I'm gonna break this down into terms that hopefully NT can comprehend:

SNL has NEVER been consistent, even dating back to the original cast. They have their good and bad nights, as well as good and bad skits. We hold certain eras ('70s, late '80s-early '90s) in such high regard because we only have access to popular clips and based on what those performers did LATER in their careers. But if you watch an episode from 1992 (Meyers, Carvey, Farley, Spade, Sandler), front to back, you will find yourself fast forwarding through most of it to find something memorable. NBC knows this, and so many clips have been driven into viewers' minds, that we're conditioned to think SNL had "great" eras. It was never consistent though. It had its moments, like any other variety show.

VH1 shows old SNL episodes every afternoon, and if you see one from the early '90s, I dare you to say it's any better (as one singular episode) than one from today.

Originally Posted by vrai1

"'86 to '93 was the best"
But give me a reason why, though. What, over any other era, did it provide? It had the greatest star power based on careers beyond SNL, but in terms of SNL alone, it wasn't any better. You're still stuck on classic skits. There's a reason you don't EVER see any full episodes from before the early '90s. And even then, those episodes are whittled down to crowd-pleasing favorites.

But give me a reason why, though. What, over any other era, did it provide? It had the greatest star power based on careers beyond SNL, but in terms of SNL alone, it wasn't any better. You're still stuck on classic skits. There's a reason you don't EVER see any full episodes from before the early '90s. And even then, those episodes are whittled down to crowd-pleasing favorites.

i actually do watch alot of the old episodes in near-entirety via hulu, but i agree totally with your point that the show has consistently been pretty inconsistent; skits have generally always been hit or miss. i started watching the show around '89 and if anything, my partiality to those years is due to nostalgia more than anything else.

I miss MAD TV. It was good to have that as an alternate on Saturdays, plus their style of humor suited me more

i actually do watch alot of the old episodes in near-entirety via hulu, but i agree totally with your point that the show has consistently been pretty inconsistent; skits have generally always been hit or miss. i started watching the show around '89 and if anything, my partiality to those years is due to nostalgia more than anything else.

I miss MAD TV. It was good to have that as an alternate on Saturdays, plus their style of humor suited me more

i like kristen wiig for some reason.  
embarassed.gif
  probably because i thought she was funny in macgruber.
how does a skit comedy show jump the shark?  they've been on for over 20 years.

i like kristen wiig for some reason.  
embarassed.gif
  probably because i thought she was funny in macgruber.
how does a skit comedy show jump the shark?  they've been on for over 20 years.

Originally Posted by kash55

I'm watching the show right now and man this show has jumped the shark, and probably a long time ago. 
There has been a few gems with the Digital Shorts, but besides that the show is garbage. They just try so hard to be funny and it's just not. They got to get some more genuinely funny cast members and better skits/characters.
Agree with everything you said. They need to start by firing Kenan; he's the unfunniest (if that's a word) person on that show. 

I'm watching the show right now and man this show has jumped the shark, and probably a long time ago. 
There has been a few gems with the Digital Shorts, but besides that the show is garbage. They just try so hard to be funny and it's just not. They got to get some more genuinely funny cast members and better skits/characters.
Agree with everything you said. They need to start by firing Kenan; he's the unfunniest (if that's a word) person on that show. 

Originally Posted by jimmybeanz

I think this every time I see that "Whats up with that? Whats up with that? OOOOOOWWEEEEEEE!" sketch
30t6p3b.gif

He's only funny as this guy 
laugh.gif

48765_512x288_generated__eBtVjTc0UE+eqSvJy5f1jg.jpg

Originally Posted by jimmybeanz

I think this every time I see that "Whats up with that? Whats up with that? OOOOOOWWEEEEEEE!" sketch
30t6p3b.gif

He's only funny as this guy 
laugh.gif

48765_512x288_generated__eBtVjTc0UE+eqSvJy5f1jg.jpg

MASARO wrote:
Anyways, SNL had seen better days (is it 93-97 when Sandler, Spade, Lovitz, Neelin, Macdonald was on?)

Originally Posted by roboski

Yeah basically the show kinda went down hill since they had: Tracy Morgan, Haratio Sanz, Amy Polar, Will Farrell s/p, Jimmy Fallon, Mya Rudolph, the girl who played Debbie Downer, and of course Tina Fey..

still decent for cheap laughs, though.

People have perpetually said things like this about SNL going back the genesis of my cultural awareness back in the 1980's.  A certain segment of people always want the stuff from 5-8 years ago because that was funny and what's on now isn't.  I’ve only watched the show a handful of times but what I've come to believe is that some people do not or cannot appreciate vanguard art/comedy ideas until they becomes so rote and mainstream that they’re a hot fart away from being on Everybody Loves Raymond.  I understand liking things from the past, but it's tough to argue that SNL "isn't funny" - a large number of people would roundly disagree with you at every point in time over the last 30-odd years.

MASARO wrote:
Anyways, SNL had seen better days (is it 93-97 when Sandler, Spade, Lovitz, Neelin, Macdonald was on?)

Originally Posted by roboski

Yeah basically the show kinda went down hill since they had: Tracy Morgan, Haratio Sanz, Amy Polar, Will Farrell s/p, Jimmy Fallon, Mya Rudolph, the girl who played Debbie Downer, and of course Tina Fey..

still decent for cheap laughs, though.

People have perpetually said things like this about SNL going back the genesis of my cultural awareness back in the 1980's.  A certain segment of people always want the stuff from 5-8 years ago because that was funny and what's on now isn't.  I’ve only watched the show a handful of times but what I've come to believe is that some people do not or cannot appreciate vanguard art/comedy ideas until they becomes so rote and mainstream that they’re a hot fart away from being on Everybody Loves Raymond.  I understand liking things from the past, but it's tough to argue that SNL "isn't funny" - a large number of people would roundly disagree with you at every point in time over the last 30-odd years.

^^
"And where did you get that mouth?"
"From a +%! that didn't know her place."
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Bill Hader is hilarious

^^
"And where did you get that mouth?"
"From a +%! that didn't know her place."
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Bill Hader is hilarious