Saudi Schoolgirl Sentenced To 90 Lashes

A schoolgirl in Saudi Arabia was sentencedto 90 lashes and two months in prison for assaulting her headmistressafter a confrontation over a cell phone, sparking an outcry from agovernment-sponsored rights group.
Saudi Arabia'sNational Society for Human Rights said it is surprised by the verdictand called for the punishment be reconsidered, according to statementby the group.

The verdict was handed down by a court in theeastern province city of Jubail as a punishment for the 13-year-old whoallegedly assaulted her headmistress.

Saudi daily newspaper,Al-Watan, which first reported the sentence, said the girl struck theheadmistress on the head with a glass after a confrontation over theconfiscation of the girl's camera-equipped cell phone.

Dr. Saleh Al-Khaslan, a spokesman for the rights group, said the penalty was too severe.

"Thecourt should have looked for an alternative sentence," he said, addingthat the rights group is calling on an appeals court in Jubail to hearthe case again.

Al-Watan did not provide the name of the school,its headmistress or the girl. Efforts to reach the Saudi Ministry ofJustice were unsuccessful.

Saudi Arabia follows a strict interpretation of Islam called Wahhabism, and lashings are a common form of punishment.

InOctober 2009, a court sentenced a man to five years in prison and 1,000lashes after he bragged about his sex life on television.

InMarch of the same year, a Saudi court sentenced a 75-year-old Syrianwoman to 40 lashes, four months imprisonment and deportation from thekingdom for having two unrelated men in her house.

In2007, a 19-year-old gang-rape victim in the Saudi city of Qatif wassentenced to 200 lashes and six months in prison for meeting with anunrelated male. The seven attackers, who abducted the man and woman,got sentences ranging from 10 months to five years in prison. The casesparked international outrage, prompting Saudi's King Abdullah topardon the girl and the unrelated male.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/W...%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29

What's wrong with the middle east?
smh.gif

90 lashes seems like a walk in the park for some of the other things people have been given...

While it is extreme, she cracked an elder over the head with glass for a cell phone. It deserves punishment.

The sentence does seem a bit harsh - but nothing compared to the last 2 examples who don't even appear to have committed any crime.

Originally Posted by soltheman

90 lashes seems like a walk in the park for some of the other things people have been given...

While it is extreme, she cracked an elder over the head with glass for a cell phone. It deserves punishment.

Fixed.

But let's be real. Puishment and brutality are two different things pimp.

90 lashes seems like a walk in the part for some of the other things people have been given...

ya like your suspended from school for 2 weeks, not assaulted by some pissed off guy's

Originally Posted by spsfinest212

90 lashes seems like a walk in the part for some of the other things people have been given...

ya like your suspended from school for 2 weeks, not assaulted by some pissed off guy's
Suspended? For hitting someone over the head with glass? It's not the movies, dude. To actually crack someone over the head with glass requires some strength.

I can agree on the prison thing. 2 months isn't horrible for assault. The lashings I don't agree with, but who am I to judge another culture?

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

Originally Posted by iBlink

smh.gif

the middle east can ask the same question: "What's wrong with America?"

Open your eyes people.

America's a terrible place with it's fair share of skeletons in its closet... but be real. Lashing a 13 year old girl 90 times? THat's where the human race is at in 2010?

Suspended? For hitting someone over the head with glass? It's not the movies, dude. To actually crack someone over the head with glass requires some strength.

I can agree on the prison thing. 2 months isn't horrible for assault. The lashings I don't agree with, but who am I to judge another culture?
It's a 13 year old girl not hulk hogan the teacher has to be {} for even letting the situation get that serious.

I can't believe that after all this there are people that still believe church and state shouldn't be separate.

Thank goodness for the foresight that our founding fathers had.

It's a 13 year old girl not hulk hogan the teacher has to be {} for even letting the situation get that serious.
Yes, because when people get assaulted it's their fault for letting the situation get out of hand.

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

smh.gif

the middle east can ask the same question: "What's wrong with America?"

Open your eyes people.

America's a terrible place with it's fair share of skeletons in its closet... but be real. Lashing a 13 year old girl 90 times? THat's where the human race is at in 2010?
This current Islamic year is 1431. 
grin.gif

People need to learn how to differentiate culture from religion. Most of these Arab countries tend to confuse culture & religion. So whenever you hear of these types of punishments, take it with a grain of salt.

Back
Top Bottom