Saw SHUTTER ISLAND tonight- vol. yes, it's better than The Departed **Spoilers within**

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I watched this with a few of my boys last night. This girl sitting next to my one buddy asks him what the movie was about. She was dragged there by her friends. She screamed hysterically at the ending and was straight SOBBING by the end of it. That alone was worth the price of admission.

Also, did you find people inappropriately laughing at parts of the film? When DiCap is interviewing that one guy that slashed his nurses face, people thought it was hilarious. When DiCap said he sliced her face off it got mad quiet and I laughed obnoxiously.

Yeah, but that was intentionally funny. When the Warden asked Teddy if he could stop him before he plunged his teeth into his eye, the audience laughed. I was just scratching my head, like where is the humor in that? They're two sick bastards.

Originally Posted by jrp44

One little thing....did anyone else think they played the music for too long when they got off the ferry walking towards the gate? I swear it felt like the music was playing for 3 hours during those 2 minutes
laugh.gif

Lol I look at my girl and was like damn did it take all that? It was cool though.

Originally Posted by dunnyy

Yeah, that music was a bit too suspenseful for what was going on at the moment..

I'm still convinced the movie was meant to have an inconclusive ending..
laugh.gif
I wonder if scorsese ended the movie the way he did intentionally so that people would debate it so much that others who hadnt seen it would be more compelled to go to the theatres...

but one things for sure, none of of us is going to know for sure what Leo's state of mind was at the end.post-modernism/interpret-it-how-you-want FTL....

I was pretty disappointed.

Not sure what I expected, but left me kind thinking it was dumb.

Not enough happened for me.

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

wow wow WOW what a film! scorcese took a huge puzzle that I completed inside my mind and completely shattered it and cut each piece into 4 parts, and I have to rebuild it

true mind %%!% right there, I drove the whole ride home with the music on mute just trying to connect the dots in my head

eek.gif
Love that ride home when your mind is blown from a good film.
pimp.gif
Saw it last night. Me and my lady friend talked about it almost the whole ride home. We both changed our minds like 5X LOL! I still don't have a definite answer but this is a VERY, VERY good movie.

Spoiler [+]
I think Leo was NOT crazy. I think in the beginning, Chuck stole his cigarettes and gave him the other ones that were laced. Then the black staff worker gave him some cigarettes too when his had gotten "wet". Why would that one lady who killed her husband with an axe tell him to "RUN"? I think it's because she knew as well as everyone else that it was some BS they were about to do. That's why she didn't write it until Chuck got her some water. And that quote at the end "Live a monster or die a good man." I think he would rather die knowing he was right whether than living this lie that he is a murderer. That's why they show the lighthouse again at the end. And remember, he told Chuck EVERYTHING eventually. They probably cleared out the light house because Chuck told them that Leo thought it was like a "lab". All in all, I have come to the decision that he was not crazy. 

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

wow wow WOW what a film! scorcese took a huge puzzle that I completed inside my mind and completely shattered it and cut each piece into 4 parts, and I have to rebuild it

true mind %%!% right there, I drove the whole ride home with the music on mute just trying to connect the dots in my head

eek.gif
Love that ride home when your mind is blown from a good film.
pimp.gif
Saw it last night. Me and my lady friend talked about it almost the whole ride home. We both changed our minds like 5X LOL! I still don't have a definite answer but this is a VERY, VERY good movie.

Spoiler [+]
I think Leo was NOT crazy. I think in the beginning, Chuck stole his cigarettes and gave him the other ones that were laced. Then the black staff worker gave him some cigarettes too when his had gotten "wet". Why would that one lady who killed her husband with an axe tell him to "RUN"? I think it's because she knew as well as everyone else that it was some BS they were about to do. That's why she didn't write it until Chuck got her some water. And that quote at the end "Live a monster or die a good man." I think he would rather die knowing he was right whether than living this lie that he is a murderer. That's why they show the lighthouse again at the end. And remember, he told Chuck EVERYTHING eventually. They probably cleared out the light house because Chuck told them that Leo thought it was like a "lab". All in all, I have come to the decision that he was not crazy. 

Spoiler [+]
I think in the beginning, Chuck stole his cigarettes and gave him the other ones that were laced.
Hmm, I forgot about that part..
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by AirForce1King

Spoiler [+]

Spoiler [+]
maybe he never had cigs to begin with?
woman telling him to RUN: she distracted the other "detective"/doc (important), then gave him the message, because he was one like her, and seemingly had a chance to run. thats why her convo was so scripted.
At the end, no he wasnt crazy, but he'd rather "die", then live with what happen to his kids and wife.

Originally Posted by dunnyy

Spoiler [+]
I think in the beginning, Chuck stole his cigarettes and gave him the other ones that were laced.
Hmm, I forgot about that part..
nerd.gif
I almost forgot
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

This movie could go so many different ways. You brought up a good point though.

Good film.
Much like the book, and there was nothing they changed to make it better.

Very satisfied with the final result.

I think the way this book was written made it possible for you to not have to read the book before you watched the film.
Because I had read the book going into the movie, I basically knew exactly what was going to happen, so I was mainly focusing on how accurate the transition from the book to the movie was (which might have possibly ruined it for me). Whereas if you didnt read the book, you would just be watching a movie, thinking what might happen next.

Either way, it's definitely a great book/movie. Only worries I had were the possiblity of butchering the ending with something different.

It definitely makes you think/wonder what's really going on. Some pretty good theories being thrown around in the thread.
Especially with the quote at the end.

Originally Posted by AirForce1King

Spoiler [+]

Spoiler [+]
He was definitely delusional the whole time. He didn't really had the cigaretters to begin with. The other patient wrote "RUN" because she was trying to help him because he is one of them. To be honest, her writing that could be planted as well, maybe that was part of the delusion he already told the doctor so they had to have someone play the role and do it.

His qoute in the end is that he felt like he was a monster because he was the cause of his childrens death because he didn't give his wife the help she needed after he noticed that she started to go crazy.

Also, through the whole movie when he was imagining/dreaming the lady killing her children, I kept thinking, "how the hell does he have the image of the kids he has never seen?" It was because it was actually his children, he just replaced the his wife with a different lady, which apparently played by one of the nurses. 

Great movie. You kinda know the whole "big twist" in the trailer, it's pretty damn obvious but still the way they pulled it off was very well written. I came in expecting more of a Sixth Sense type flick with frightening images and violence but it was the complete opposite. A perfect example of a "psychological" thriller. Will definitely be copping this on Blu Ray.

Back
Top Bottom