School me on starting a website.

I make beats. I got a bunch of them just sitting on my hard drive, so I want to try to at least make some money from some of them. I bought a domain name Saturday night, now what? I know I need a host. Google is talking about using Google site builder, but I hear Wordpress is where its at. I found a site that has beat selling templates and they suggest Bluehost, but the link to Bluehost is talking about getting Wordpress? I'm confused. For what I'm trying to do(sell beats), should I go with VPN, shared, cloud or dedicated hosting? Whats the difference. Someone please break this down to layman terms and point me in the right direction. Any help would be appreciated.

Aren’t there sites or marketplaces for producers/composers to sell music?

How would you drive traffic to site for your beats? Doesn’t sound like the way unless you’re already a buzzed artist.

Aren’t there sites or marketplaces for producers/composers to sell music?

How would you drive traffic to site for your beats? Doesn’t sound like the way unless you’re already a buzzed artist.

I just have to promote myself via IG, Twitter ect. Hell, I don't mind getting cards made and hitting the streets. I just want my own site. It kinda gives you more presence. I could use soundcloud and such, but now people are like, "oh you a soundcloud rapper/producer..hmph"

Couldn't you have done this for free through soundclick.com? Easier for people to find your beats instead of your own website. Just tag your beats with some annoying ish like "TRILL BEATS PRODUCTIONS" every 20-30 seconds so they cant steal it

Couldn't you have done this for free through soundclick.com? Easier for people to find your beats instead of your own website. Just tag your beats with some annoying ish like "TRILL BEATS PRODUCTIONS" every 20-30 seconds so they cant steal it

It all about how you present yourself. Going in cold, would you rather buy shoes from a kiosk or a walking in store?

It all about how you present yourself. Going in cold, would you rather buy shoes from a kiosk or a walking in store?

Just offering you an alternative. Start small and work your way to your own website when you have a following.

Came in here to threadjack and ask if Squarespace or Wix is the move. Thoughts?

These websites are awesome for specific types of things. Most restaurants and other retailers will go this route with a shopify addon to sell things. Squarespace has nailed the UX of those specific types of presentation.

Real design now is for newer space ideas. No need to spend bucks on a designer unless you have a brand new idea for a product/app.

I was looking at wix, but then I would need a streaming audio store type deal, which I would have to pay for and have a percentage of my sales come out. Might as whale go with a service that can offer that all in one.

Came in here to threadjack and ask if Squarespace or Wix is the move. Thoughts?
I've used Squarespace and enjoyed the UI and ease of creating a site. They are limited in templates, but the ease of use is what kept me there for a couple of years.

Wix isn't a bad option too. GoDaddy is starting to get into the mix as well.

I just have to promote myself via IG, Twitter ect. Hell, I don't mind getting cards made and hitting the streets. I just want my own site. It kinda gives you more presence. I could use soundcloud and such, but now people are like, "oh you a soundcloud rapper/producer..hmph"

Why is that a bad thing? Nothing wrong with SoundCloud and Youtube, some of the world's most popular artists/producers came up with just that. Why would someone go/discover your website over actually checking out and sharing your work on a platform made for it.

As suggested before, if you really need a landing page Squarespace is your best bet and is pretty easy to setup.

These websites are awesome for specific types of things. Most restaurants and other retailers will go this route with a shopify addon to sell things. Squarespace has nailed the UX of those specific types of presentation.

Real design now is for newer space ideas. No need to spend bucks on a designer unless you have a brand new idea for a product/app.

Yeah, I would be using it as a platform for my mother's business. Simple stuff, just never knew if Squarespace or Wix was the move.

I've used Squarespace and enjoyed the UI and ease of creating a site. They are limited in templates, but the ease of use is what kept me there for a couple of years.

Wix isn't a bad option too. GoDaddy is starting to get into the mix as well.

Why is that a bad thing? Nothing wrong with SoundCloud and Youtube, some of the world's most popular artists/producers came up with just that. Why would someone go/discover your website over actually checking out and sharing your work on a platform made for it.

As suggested before, if you really need a landing page Squarespace is your best bet and is pretty easy to setup.

You answered your own question there. How would someone find me over thousands and thousands of other artist on soundcloud? How would I stand out? You know what would make me stand out more? If my name had a .com at the end instead of "www.soundcloud.com/" in front of it. That's just the way the game is. If I handed you a card and it had a soundcloud link, one would like look at it like, "whatever.." and keep going. If I had my own domain name, people would see it and say, "oh this dude is official! Let me see what he's talking about..". Again, would you rather buy shoes from a kiosk in the middle of the mall or an actual walk-in store.

Back
Top Bottom