Seattle, where the underground IS the mainstream...

So my brother and I been talking about this subject for a minute. Seattle is one of the few places in the US where this so-called "underground rap"IS the mainstream rap, because we actually don't have any famous/wildly popular artists that can be characterized as "mainstream"

To my knowledge there have been two successful rappers(jakeONe doesn't count) from Seattle and one of them is half of a joke (Sir Mix A Lot) and the otheris Blue Scholars, which has gone on nation wide tours and although have not produced a hip hop classic like Sir, they are eating well off rap. Blue Scholar isvery underground in their style, flow, subject matter and persona.

Seattle is also like one of the few cities where breakdancing still contributes largely to the hip hop scene. I believe this is due to the lack of hip hopindustry in Seattle. What do ya'll think?

Originally Posted by sck00lkid

We also have the knowmads

Knowmads are dope but not nearly in the best known.

Macklemore, Common Market, The Grynch, Gabriel Teodros and The Physics are probably better known, but Knowmads are better than a lot of those guys.

Its weird no major rap but a lot of places rate Seattle as having the a good if not the best music scene, good underground labels and famous acts like Hendrix,Nirvana, Bing Crosy was also born here I just read, as well as mastermind Quincy Jones, Modest Mouse, Death Cab etc

Seattle gets credit for a lot of things it shouldn't.

Bing Crosby = Tacoma (but really Spokane)
Nirvana = Aberdeen
Death Cab = Bellingham
Modest Mouse = Issaquah

Quincy Jones wasn't even born here, he moved here eventually and went to junior high and high school here.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Nirvana = Aberdeen
Death Cab = Bellingham
Modest Mouse = Issaquah

Quincy Jones wasn't even born here, he moved here eventually and went to junior high and high school here.
ya but he was raised here..and as far as the others they all performed in seattle, the grunge rock scene was not blossoming in Aberdeen, Nirvanahad to play shoes in Seattle, and Kurt Cobain eventually lived in Seattle. The same can be said for most if not all of those bands, they originated there buthad to come to Seattle to get shows and be seen, I think thats what we mean when we talk about the music scene

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Nirvana = Aberdeen
Death Cab = Bellingham
Modest Mouse = Issaquah

all that equals "the Greater Seattle area"...its just easier that way.

caught that grynch EP release last night at nectar. I came in right before sol's set. both him and grynch are pretty good! THE KING OF BALLARD puts on agreat show. i think it was sick to see a lot of the big seattle guys supporting each other. GEO, macklemore, kingz. like my dude was saying this underground isthe real deal around here. seattle has a greater appreciation for real hip hop. we might not be the spot for artist to make it into the mainstream, but 206does hip hop the right way! the homies do shows for the art, not for the just the money.

GRYNCH =
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I would say the Seattle scene has good production due to it's strong musical background, but as far as straight spitters go, I have yet to hear ones who Itruly like. A lot of dudes can flow, but I feel like a lot of these artists lack a certain amount of entertainment in their rhymes.

Back
Top Bottom