Serious Discussion: Do you believe people are born equal?

People are definitely not BORN equal. People are of different intelligence levels, athleticism levels, propensity for crime, propensity for charity, varying sexual tendencies, etc.

You bring up an important point: how does one define "equal?" That is important.

Do you mean "equal" in terms of equal opportunity, or in terms of equal abilities/traits/personality/etc.?

I was originally assuming equal opportunity in my first post, but yea, that term also needs to be clarified.

Do you mean "equal" in terms of equal opportunity, or in terms of equal abilities/traits/personality/etc.?

I was originally assuming equal opportunity in my first post, but yea, that term also needs to be clarified.

Well here's the thing. I'm all about progress, and I hate it when people say that we're "never going to see the end of racism" (or sexismor whatever) but at the end of the day I don't think we're ever going to see TRUE equal opportunity.

Speaking purely in an American context, even if we do away with racism, some schools are going to be better than others, some areas are going to be safer thanothers. This has more to do with the fact that a capitalist society HAS TO HAVE CLASSES OF PEOPLE. There will always be inner cities, there will always beaffluent suburbs and there will always be families like the Rockefellers, Turners, etc who live on an entirely different plane from the rest of us.

The heart of true equal opportunity is establishing the most equal educational system that we possibly can. An area where the average household income is$200k/year is always going to be able to have better schools than an area where the average is $45k/year because there will be more tax money available forschools. To me education is the key, and til this is more equal, this whole concept of "equal opportunity" is just a pipe dream.

Naturally yes, Statistically nope.

I know yal'l heard that saying 'practice makes perfect' that's a 100% true statement. 'Whatever mind can concieve it can acheive'im'a stop with the motivational quotes. All in all though we're the same with unique talents that others can develop with practice. Now, theecon-ladder is a man-made tool used to keep races, and money in order. The chances of rising out of that are slim because of soceity conditions.

I don't think people are born equally simply because I think some people are genetically superior to others.

As racist as this may sound, I believe African Americans are physically and athletically superior to other races. That's why African American constitute alarge portion of the professional athletes.

No thats why there are smart people and there are dumb people. I am a firm believer that intelligence is God given. If we were all equal we would be able toquarterback like Peyton Manning, sing like Elvis Presley, play basketball like Micheal Jordan, hit home runs like Alex Rodriguez, e.t.c.

Originally Posted by Air Spider 777

No thats why there are smart people and there are dumb people. I am a firm believer that intelligence is God given. If we were all equal we would be able to quarterback like Peyton Manning, sing like Elvis Presley, play basketball like Micheal Jordan, hit home runs like Alex Rodriguez, e.t.c.

None of them were born doing that

Silly question.

Are you equal to someone born with a mental disablility? How about someone born with a physical handicap?

Originally Posted by Skip2MyLou23

I don't think people are born equally simply because I think some people are genetically superior to others.

As racist as this may sound, I believe African Americans are physically and athletically superior to other races. That's why African American constitute a large portion of the professional athletes.

Its not necessarily the fact that they're black, but rather the fact that most of them had similar circumstances. We could argue about this for days.

The Rich stay rich, the poor stay poor. It's a sad reality but most of the time it's true. It's extremeley hard for a minority to rise up whenthey're born in the depths of the bad parts of the city. There's the argument that it's about self-determination and no matter how bad of an impactnurture has on you, if you really have the determination you will succeed in life. Yet let's not forget that it's really hard to get a high GPA orgain, when you don't have nothing to eat, your brother is in jail, your dad has no job, and (add typical situation here). Sure, a very small percentage ofour community move from the poor to the rich.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Originally Posted by Air Spider 777

No thats why there are smart people and there are dumb people. I am a firm believer that intelligence is God given. If we were all equal we would be able to quarterback like Peyton Manning, sing like Elvis Presley, play basketball like Micheal Jordan, hit home runs like Alex Rodriguez, e.t.c.

None of them were born doing that
Those talents in my opinion were God given, they were born with that talent and they discovered it. You can practice all you want (not saying you butin general) if you dont have the talent you cant sing like Elvis, play hoops like MJ, hit home runs like A-Rod, and QB like Peyton.

Wow that can't be answered. Your question is to vague.

Different circumstances, background etc.. can play a big role.

Well here's the thing. I'm all about progress, and I hate it when people say that we're "never going to see the end of racism" (or sexism or whatever) but at the end of the day I don't think we're ever going to see TRUE equal opportunity.

Speaking purely in an American context, even if we do away with racism, some schools are going to be better than others, some areas are going to be safer than others. This has more to do with the fact that a capitalist society HAS TO HAVE CLASSES OF PEOPLE. There will always be inner cities, there will always be affluent suburbs and there will always be families like the Rockefellers, Turners, etc who live on an entirely different plane from the rest of us.

The heart of true equal opportunity is establishing the most equal educational system that we possibly can. An area where the average household income is $200k/year is always going to be able to have better schools than an area where the average is $45k/year because there will be more tax money available for schools. To me education is the key, and til this is more equal, this whole concept of "equal opportunity" is just a pipe dream.

I definitely agree. I actually see capitalism as being the main contributer to this issue (and thus my first post about consumerism, etc.)

Just to clarify, when I said...

You bring up an important point: how does one define "equal?" That is important.

I was asking those questions to the thread-starter.

yes, of course people were all born equal. You are what you make yourself. rich people can be jerks, so can poor. being born into poverty is nothing. MichaelJordan wasn't always rich,was he? Bill Gates didn't have all this dough back then right?

Back
Top Bottom