Serious question about ***/asian/ etc influences culture in american society

I was recently reading an article about african americans cultures that influenced american culture as a whole and i thought what are some that our mongloidppl have contributed to american society. I asked a asian friend of mines and he said things like karate pokemon powr rangers video games. My thing is thatwasnt a result of the ppl who live in the states moreso a product of corporations etc. My examples are like how hip hop and clothing trends started in africanamerican communities influenced american culture. ei air brushed shirts slang certain hairstyles etc.. Or how white amercians have certain trends styles thatare a staple in american culture. Any asian etc american with some insight feel free to chime in.

I apologize in advance if I offend anyone with this, it's not my intent, just my thought:

I don't think the Asian community has much of an influence on American Society because historically they (Asians) have been stereotyped as the"intellectuals, nerds, introverts, and pacifists" of the world, and its not viewed as a "cool" thing to emulate. With exception of maybeAsian history, cuisine, and design (ala clothing, shoes, art - tattoos) they're not really mainstream.

Originally Posted by ArsnalJ23

I apologize in advance if I offend anyone with this, it's not my intent, just my thought:

I don't think the Asian community has much of an influence on American Society because historically they (Asians) have been stereotyped as the "intellectuals, nerds, introverts, and pacifists" of the world, and its not viewed as a "cool" thing to emulate. With exception of maybe Asian history, cuisine, and design (ala clothing, shoes, art - tattoos) they're not really mainstream.

I disagree. American pop culture is heavily influenced from Asain culture. Art/dress for the most part. To downplay that contribution would be erroneous.

Video games might have started with to truly take off with the Atari consoles but it was the Nintento company which saved the industry in the 80s after theover saturation crash because of ET the worst game next to Superman 64. The Asian cultures have had a BIG impact. Chinese food is ordered everywhere, Anime isrivaling cartoons to a certain degree, Manga has huge sections in borders, karate dojo's are everywhere, you always see karate movie vendors in the mall,and alot more. Asians cultures and pop culture has a affect on american society but its just beginning to show really. The thing is that the niche that wasexploring and enjoying it is starting to become mainstream as with black culture was a niche then became mainstream to what it is now.

Originally Posted by marath0n

I don't think the Asian community has much of an influence on American Society because historically they (Asians) have been stereotyped as the "intellectuals, nerds, introverts, and pacifists" of the world, and its not viewed as a "cool" thing to emulate. With exception of maybe Asian history, cuisine, and design (ala clothing, shoes, art - tattoos) they're not really mainstream.

I disagree. American pop culture is heavily influenced from Asain culture. Art/dress for the most part. To downplay that contribution would be erroneous.

word especially nowadays...go to flightclub/ALife/or supreme and your bound to see at least 5 hiroshi Fujiwara stans

OP u might wanna change the title though it sounds kinda ignorant

I would say that its only very recently that Asian culture wholesale has started to influence mainstream pop culture. Yea there was always theolder, more pseudo-mystical stuff that finds it way into pop and art (dragons, emperors, yogis and monks) and martial arts but its really only been post WWIIthat the culture of Asia especially Japan (which in many ways is American pop culture chewed up and spat back at us) has been influential in the US.

Fam did you just say #*@? Iiiiiiiiiiiiiii don't think that'll exactly fly.

E D I T
I'll just edit that out so I don't possibly get axed.

Also, Asian culture has a big influence on American culture. Foods, fashion, entertainment, yup.

You dudes really need to get it into your heads that the word "***" is a pejorative term used to disparage people of Japanese descent. Get with itman.

Originally Posted by inspektahdeck

word especially nowadays...go to flightclub/ALife/or supreme and your bound to see at least 5 hiroshi Fujiwara stans
I was thinking more along the lines of socially.. influence on mainstream/popular trend and behavior. For example we don't emulate any Asianbehavior here. In terms of product, you can argue that for any culture and I already said there is Asian influence. A majority of the goods we have areimported.

You mentioned african american culture(hip hop) influencing amercan culture ... how about the impact asian culture has had on the black community and hip hop.not just wu tang but buku dudes in the black community love kung fu/martial arts movies.
martial arts in itself has had a great impact on american society
and then of course tattoos
the list could go on

Originally Posted by inspektahdeck

I was thinking more along the lines of socially.. influence on mainstream/popular trend and behavior. For example we don't emulate any Asian behavior here. In terms of product, you can argue that for any culture and I already said there is Asian influence. A majority of the goods we have are imported.

Oh I feel this.
Originally Posted by ballhog13

You mentioned african american culture(hip hop) influencing amercan culture ... how about the impact asian culture has had on the black community and hip hop. not just wu tang but buku dudes in the black community love kung fu/martial arts movies.
the list could go on
Yeah it's crazy how they go hand in hand.

Originally Posted by ballhog13

You mentioned african american culture(hip hop) influencing amercan culture ... how about the impact asian culture has had on the black community and hip hop. not just wu tang but buku dudes in the black community love kung fu/martial arts movies.
the list could go on

Preach

Originally Posted by shoepacalypse

Any asian etc american with some insight feel free to chime in.
Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

You dudes really need to get it into your heads that the word "***" is a pejorative term used to disparage people of Japanese descent. Get with it man.

Back
Top Bottom