Serious Topic.... Those that grew up without a father, What are you doing now?

So yeh...I was about to go get a haircut...and this episode was on. Had to watch the whole thing... definately a classic fresh prince episode. So yeh that made me think. All of the stats and statistics tend to show that people that grow up with a father in the home...they are better off...etc etc etc. So yeh those who grew up without a father.... post what you're up to these days... college? no college? decent job? family of your own? Those with a father state what you're doin too.... I'll start off.

I grew Up with a father. We werent the Huxtables...but he was def there for me when I needed. Def taught me alot.... how important hard work is...etc. Out of all my close friends only 1 other of my dudes grew up w/ a father.

Grew Up: Richmond, VA/ DC
College: yes. bachelors
Job: Im doin ight... gov job...gs-12...75k
Arrested: nope
My own Family: nope... in a serious relationship...will prolly pop the question in the next year

Grew up with both parents. They fight all the time but nothing too serious, just yelling here and there.

Ummm I'm in school, graduating in a year, and still living at home unfortunately.
They both grew up poor and are now engineers, so they taught me the importance of education from a really early age.
Me and my dad get along amazing, because we both understand space. My mother on the other hand still tries to control what I do. I'm 21 so that doesn't really go well with me, but I still live at home so there's not really much I can do about it.

Love them both though
happy.gif

26 - Events Account Manager at a 250 room full service Hilton.

Never been arrested.

Getting married next month.

I still talk to my dad once or twice a year but I've been moved on for quite some time now... My mom moved out when I was 3. Spent most of my life 3,000 miles away from my dad.

Ill be meeting my father next week for the first time.
Srs.

Im 26yrs old. I have a degree, I pull %%#$%%#, and I gets paper.
Srs.
Spoiler [+]
Club, you tight?

20, bought my own car out right, didn't graduate from high school but paid for and got my ged. Learned to never accept no for an answer/accept hand outs/ that can't shouldn't be in a mans vocabulary. working as a sub-contractor and salesman, have maintained 2 jobs since 18 and hopefully will be moving into my first apartment by the end of june and will be enrolling in the fall to a jc. no credit but no debt either.

On a side note my father was good to me the 3 time i saw him in my life time and showed me that no matter how distant family is they still love you unconditionally.

24 - full time great paying job - engaged - never been arrested.

My father taught me everything it is to not be a man. I'll dance on his grave when he dies.

dad bounced on my mom once she got pregnant. she was 18 he was 19. he was about that life, hustlin on the streets and all that. if you guys ever saw that movie called paper soldiers that was written by him no joke. thats what he used to do. anyways he would always pop up and say we gonna hang out but never did. the biggest flaker in history. he been doing that ever since i was a little kid.

20 years old (only for another 2 weeks)

just finished my 3rd year in college (aiming for my masters)

employed in a nursing home

sort of in a relationship

dont smoke or none of that but i do love my 40s

at least when i start a family ill know what not to do. thanks "dad"

thank god i have both my parents. but some people dont. i know this guy that dad passed away when he was a kid he graduated high school but nothing much after and now he is about that life

Grew up with moms.  Dad flaked out and got into drugs, finally cleaned himself 3 years ago so weve somewhat rekindled a relationship now that im 20

Originally Posted by Regis

Srs.

Srs.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

my story?

Spoiler [+]
Grew Up: south of houston 
College: yes. BBA-MKTG... starting Masters in Finance in the Fall
Job: currently working 2 jobs that are easy w/ ample opps at yambs... trying to land this cushy high paying part time job at my next college right now.
Arrested: once... for driving w/ an invalid license... does that count?
My own Family: nope... looking for it for another 10+ years. i think i met my wife too early in my life doe.
also:... never smoke, drank maybe 8 times in my life... maintaining my own apartment, car note, cell phone bill, and looking to cop a new motorbike in the fall

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

dad's story?

left when i was 5... but the writing on the wall started when i was around 2 or 3.

got into the drug scene heavy... from selling, to using... to just outta dere.

cleaned up his act 10 years ago and  and been working as an operator for the past 10 years. 

he's currently making stupid bank for telling folks what to do (around 120K before the overtime he can accumulate) 

my big bro had a disconnect w/ my pop. i was too young to know what was happening... so around me being 15, when he was on his feet, we began to talk more often...

now, we are cooler than most... we can chop it up on the daily, and he offers fatherly advise. he rides a motorcycle, played sports, gets yambs, and gets paper.

not as bad a story as others... but meh... thought i'd offer my tale...

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

28 no kids of my own with my bachelor degree. Talk to him like four times a year: his birthday, my birthday, fathers day and Christmas. He and my mom split when I was two and he left our home in Alabama and dipped to Delaware. They're both crazy so had I grown up with both of them I probably would've ran away. Dead serious. Im an only child so there's no way I could deal with both of them.

I was playing with my co workers 2 year old son and I was thinking there's no way I could leave a son. Too much he needs to know about life.

I've got an OK job at a law office for now but I need to get back in school.

havent seen my father for 10 years, mother and father seperated when i was 9 y/o. 22 now.

what im doing now?

I do maintenance for a government building while under the process of getting a top secret clearance..

oh and i am a business owner. i own a shoe boutique in College Park, MD.

yep

and never arrested, no family. and no college degree
pimp.gif

fathers story?
drug addict, alcoholic, abused my mother.

Dad was sorta around but wasn't as adamant as he coulda been in seeing about me. My brothers and sisters from him have been there more but im bitter sweet on it. He is older so it is different that most situations. He met my mom in his lower prime, pushing weight, yambs, money, houses, you name it. Judge sent him outta California and he lived in Lousiana most of my 22 year old life.

He dying in his bed currently, and it is an internal struggle to care about him based on my fatherless life.

22- with a 2 year old, own apt,car note, one more semester of college for a B.A. in Computer Technology, got a job in my field but im always looking for new ones im so ambitious. Also have my own website/legendary movement im starting up http://publicprivacy.org. look out for that. Overall I did okay and never really needed him my mama family got that long bread
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Regis

Srs.

Srs.
Spoiler [+]
Club, you tight?
i do all that and im 2 years younger than you.
and thytker thinks im cuter too

Pops been around my whole life, but never did much other than coming to various sports events I was in. He has a handful of degrees, but he's far from being successful. I was forced to move in with him for the first time at 19, because my moms dipped once I graduated HS. That very rocky cohabitation lasted 2 years.

a semester away from a bach

I live, study and travel abroad

Had 2 long relationships, 7 years total. Currently on a world tour word to Mick Jagger, definitely jaded about marriage tho, but I think I've met what I would want in a wife. 

"I got a dream that's worth more than my reality, and pride that's worth more than a salary"

Father was never there. Broken promises through out childhood.
I'm in LA he's in the Bay
Haven't seen him since mothers funeral when I was 12.
3 years ago spoke to him for the first time since the day of the funeral
He was on some bs wanting me to close the Child Support case.... I didnt know it was open
Heard he had my mother on the streets, doing whatever crackheads do
He claims to want a relationship, but puts no effort.
I called him while on lunch break and gave him a piece of my mind.
I'm far from a hateful person but told him I had hate for him and he's full of bs for not being there

Me:
25 years to life , but never been to jail (arrested nearly 10 times, but no one would believe that if u knew me)
Intelligent, multi-talented
Still need to finish my degree
Good heart, spirit
manic-depressant
No children, few girls, but nothing I'm tying down
Supervisor/ manager at a workers' comp firm...

So @#%% him.

I do imagine I'm bashing his face when I lift weights though

in college...

majoring in bio field.

payed my way through school, etc.

grad school on the horizon.

arrested 3 times.

healthy family relationship with everyone in my immediate family.

mostly ignore my father.

no family, thank god.

Age:19 . Moved to live with mom at 7; seen him twice since then
Grew Up: Northern VA
College: Yeah; just finished freshman year
Job: Part-time
Arrested: No
My own Family: Don't think I've impregnated anybody

I think I've turned out to be a pretty good dude.

Grew Up: Miami
College: Yeah; didn't like it. Decided to go with a technical school to avoid loans and it's faster. Starting nursing program in the fall.
Job: Full-time, CBS Interactive
Arrested: No
My own Family: Don't think I've impregnated anybody.

I think I've turned out to be a pretty good dude.

I know know where he is and how to find him. I just don't care to. I asked him for some Bred 13s and he didn't get them after he said he would, I was hurt, lol

Back
Top Bottom