Seriously, why isn't Cam Newton getting the same, if not higher, praise as Tim Tebow?

From an outsider looking in (I have no ties or bias towards either man), I just don't get it.

Looking at Newton's stats his first 7 games, and the subsequent influence of his presence on Carolina's team, is very impressive. I haven't heard a single mention of his performance against the ******** yesterday. Meanwhile Tebow plays utterly terrible football for 3 and a half quarters, then turns it around against the lowly Dolphins, and it leads every sports highlight/radio show. 

They're more or less the same player...
- Unconventional QB from a non-pro offense in college.
- Highly regarded during college days (Obviously Tebow more than Newton)
- National Championship + Heisman Trophy.

So where is the attention for Newton? While some could say the media is trying to push a wholesome image of a professional athlete with good "morals and ethics", I don't really think that's it because you rarely hear about Tebow's off-the-field actions anymore.

It's as if the persona of "Tebow" has turned into some type of story in it's own. But based on what?

If there can be a discussion between the two, their skills on the field, and the resulting praise heaped towards them respectively, I'd like to hear it. Because it's certainly uneven.

This is not a race-oriented thread, but part of me wonders if that has anything to do with it. Maybe I'm wrong I don't know. I'd just like to get people's opinions (hopefully the majority of which are educated thoughts that are not fueled by a love or hate for Tebow/Newton).

Discuss.

People expected/wanted Newton to fail...as of now, he isn't and they got nothing to say.

More or less theyre the same player? Are you only pretending to have 0 perspective on how these guys differ?

Cam made throws in College and already in the pros that Tebow will never make in his entire life.

They're nowhere near "the same player". Other than being able to rumble in for a TD out of the gun with ease they're nothing alike.

Cam and Tebow couldn't be more different.

"More of less the same player" you clearly haven't watched either player play football the last 5 years.

Tebow has a cult like following from his days in Florida, he is and forever will own Florida. The Nat'l title, the leadership with the college team.

- The religious aspect has a huge factor in the following, his personality and the way he comes off as far as the media image.

Newton got into trouble in college, did great with Auburn, and people knew his skills but he came into the league with a target on his back. No one really expected Tebow to start this early.

I don't like Tebow, i'm not a fan, nor do I think he is a good QB, but they are different for VERY apparent reasons

Really?  I've actually been seeing the opposite.  I see a lot of praise for Newton even though his team is losing a lot.  With Tebow it's 50/50 with the love and hate.  Most analysts say he sucks.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

More or less theyre the same player? Are you only pretending to have 0 perspective on how these guys differ?

Cam made throws in College and already in the pros that Tebow will never make in his entire life.

They're nowhere near "the same player". Other than being able to rumble in for a TD out of the gun with ease they're nothing alike.
I meant in their situation coming out of college and into the pros, not from a skill-set perspective.

I think part of the media's attention for Tebow is that he came from an unconventional offense and wasn't a "conventional QB", which plays into the attention when he achieves success, such as yesterday.

I think the same could be said of Newton, to where he was rather unpolished coming out of college, and didn't have the skill-set of a "conventional QB", even though he had the body and raw talent.

Originally Posted by Ballerific703

Intangibles

laugh.gif
 Damn it you beat me to it.
laugh.gif

Just wanted to stress what Fraji already said.

Just because both of them have the ability to scramble/run doesnt mean that they are the same player.

As far as media coverage this week, Tebow was THE STORY because it was his first start since this season and because he won in somewhat miraculous fashion (as you said... played like trash for 3 and a half quarters then somehow brought his team back from down 15).  Cam got plenty of coverage early in the season when he silenced a lot of his doubters by proving that he is able to be an NFL starting QB.

In terms of uneven praise/criticism.  Have you not seen or heard Merril Hodge on his ESPN pulpit absolutely trashing Tebow week in week out (this week was no different)?

edit:

fearthenut wrote:
I meant in their situation coming out of college and into the pros, not from a skill-set perspective.

I think part of the media's attention for Tebow is that he came from an unconventional offense and wasn't a "conventional QB", which plays into the attention when he achieves success, such as yesterday.

I think the same could be said of Newton, to where he was rather unpolished coming out of college, and didn't have the skill-set of a "conventional QB", even though he had the body and raw talent. 

TBH, I just started getting more heavily into college football the last few years, so I might be wrong but, was Florida and Auburn's offense THAT unconventional when it comes to college football?  Arent spread option offenses more commonplace in the college game than pro-style offenses?

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by KingJames23

If you meet him, your life is better than it was before that point.
Tim Tebow threw me a football. When I caught it, I turned to wine.

I died when I met Tebow but he brought me back to life.

Oh and Dilfer out there talkin bout Cam is gonna revolutionize the QB position.
laugh.gif
Soooo...

Dilfer is my guy too... he was gassing up Rodgers when dudes on here were flaming me for saying dude was gonna be a top QB
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Wins. Mythology of sports and QB's. It's not a team game for much of the media. It's the century of the QB, you know.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Just wanted to stress what Fraji already said.

Just because both of them have the ability to scramble/run doesnt mean that they are the same player.

As far as media coverage this week, Tebow was THE STORY because it was his first start since this season and because he won in somewhat miraculous fashion (as you said... played like trash for 3 and a half quarters then somehow brought his team back from down 15).  Cam got plenty of coverage early in the season when he silenced a lot of his doubters by proving that he is able to be an NFL starting QB.

In terms of uneven praise/criticism.  Have you not seen or heard Merril Hodge on his ESPN pulpit absolutely trashing Tebow week in week out (this week was no different)?

edit:

fearthenut wrote:

TBH, I just started getting more heavily into college football the last few years, so I might be wrong but, was Florida and Auburn's offense THAT unconventional when it comes to college football?  Arent spread option offenses more commonplace in the college game than pro-style offenses?

Incredibly more common, but that was my point, that one of the biggest struggles Newton/Tebow would face in the NFL was adjusting to a pro-style offense.

I am in no way saying Tebow is better than Cam because he def. isnt. But Cam 2-5 Tebow - 1-0 
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

It's because he's black and Tebow's white.
Okay but seriously, I wanna know how you're surprised by this. You should know how the media works by now. Do I like it? Of course not. Newton definitely deserves more shine and I think it's just gonna take time until he and his team start winning.

Originally Posted by CripwalkinK

It's because he's black and Tebow's white.
Okay but seriously, I wanna know how you're surprised by this. You should know how the media works by now. Do I like it? Of course not. Newton definitely deserves more shine and I think it's just gonna take time until he and his team start winning.

keep living life with that selective hearing/seeing.

there is no shortage of talk show hosts, analysts, talking heads who heap praise (deservedly) on Cam and gives him his "shine".  the same applies for the detractors of Tebow.  hell just today when i was driving home from the office after seeing this thread, the first topic the hosts (Petros & Money Show... both "white" media) were talking about was how impressive Cam's performance was this week, and how terrible Tebow looked.  one of the hosts went as far as to compare Tebow to a high school quarterback.  They also touched upon Brian Baldinger's (NFL Network and also "white" media) comments about how Cam Newton's season is shaping up to be the MOST IMPRESSIVE SEASON BY ANY ROOKIE QUARTERBACK EVER.

Back
Top Bottom