Seton Hill University to issue freshmen iPads and MacBooks

too bad they created that monopoly. they should let the students pick and choose what brand they want.. My families been through more failed macbook pros than windows laptops in a shorter amount of time.. It makes no sense.. MORE $$$$ and less reliable??

Are you people slow?

It ain't like they're free.
laugh.gif
The money used to buy this crap is coming from THEIR tuition money.

Originally Posted by fac3 tak30v312

Originally Posted by JoeGalvan

obviously the students have to pay... nothing is free. especially "in-demand" technology. but... still a cool deal. and from a college students perspective... its better to pay for a large purchase like that via Student Loan than credit card/apple credit/best buy card/etc.

i'd be down for it.

actually you can now use laptops as a tax right off if you're student ............. so if you buy it outright, you can essentially get it for free, instead of paying for it later through student loans

PLEASE put me up on game. How do I make this Macbook free?

Originally Posted by spsfinest212

laugh.gif
Who goes to Seton Hill?

werd, idk anyone who goes there lol

EDIT:
oh snap, its seton HILL not hall
smh.gif
damn i just noticed that. never heard of that school.

# f you are a student between the ages of 19 and 24, attending class full-time, and your parents provide at least half your support, the IRS will allow you to claim only your standard deduction when you file your tax return. There are really only two tax deductions or credits that are aimed specifically at students: the Hope Tax Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit.

The Hope Tax Credit
# This is a tax credit for those students earning less than $52,000, which should be most students. You get to claim 100 percent of the first $1000 you spent on tuition, and 50 percent of the second $1000 you spent. Since it maxes out at $1500, it's helpful, but with the cost of school, it's a mere drop in the bucket. The Hope credit is limited to the first two full years of tuition paid.

The Lifetime Learning Credit
# Here a student gets a credit for up to 20 percent of the first $10,000 they spend on college expenses. This is the credit that can be used beyond the student's first two years in school. This credit too
is limited to those who earn less than $52,000, or $105,000 if married.
What Is Included?
# The school should provide you with a 1098T that spells out exactly how much tuition was paid by you for the entire the tax year. This year the IRS has allowed the inclusion of expenses for a new laptop in with the tuition deductions. So if your limits don't reach the maximum with tuition, you may wish to add on the price of the new laptop you purchased. Another deduction is the interest paid on a student loan, which typically doesn't begin accruing or becoming due until after graduation. If you have paid that interest, the loan provider will send you a form with the amount of interest paid for that tax year.

Restrictions
# In order to qualify for the above credits and deductions, and for any individualized state deductions, the student must be free of any felony convictions involving narcotics in the tax year being applied for. Felony convictions involving narcotics can bar you from receiving these tax advantages. Other felony convictions apparently cannot.

I also know they were talking about putting the laptop write off, for next year ... don't know how exactly it's going to break down but either way you should talk to the person who does your taxes about it

Why would I pay the tuition Seton Hall charges for an avg education at best in the first place?

Originally Posted by reigillm

i pay $400 per semester and that's 4 times a year because of that damn quarter sem system. and no iPad and MacBook
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
...i would love to transfer there. so jealous
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

It's $500 MORE per semester, not total.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom