***SF Giants 2009 Season Thread (88-74)***

I prefer Timmy with the short hair.

52flt1.jpg

Originally Posted by Tim Lincecum

That double by Bengie was a lot closer than it should of been.
laugh.gif

Dave Fleming stays making fun of Molina's speed or lack thereof
laugh.gif

[h1]Thursday, October 1, 2009[/h1]
The Giants are expecting to make a formal announcement next week.

The team scheduled a media session with Sabean and Bochy for Monday. It'll be their normal day-after-the-season availability, but the announcement that both are returning won't necessarily be made until later.

Managing general partner Bill Neukom said all season he wouldn't announce how the Sabean-Bochy matter would be resolved until after the season, and he has lived up to his pledge.

This is Sabean's 13th season as general manager - only San Diego's Kevin Towers has been a GM longer - and it's Bochy's third as San Francisco's manager. He was 143-181 his first two years, but the Giants turned it around this year with an 85-73 record heading into today's home finale, thanks primarily to one of the majors' best rotations led by Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain.

It snaps a streak of four straight losing seasons for the Giants, who were wild-card contenders and weren't eliminated from postseason play until Wednesday.

In recent years under Sabean, the minor-league system - which had lacked legitimate hitting prospects - was rebuilt, and one of the products is Pablo Sandoval, one of the National League's leading hitters. Top prospects include Buster Posey and Madison Bumgarner, who could be factors on next year's roster.

Also on Sabean's watch, three-fifths of the rotation (Lincecum, Cain and Jonathan Sanchez) came through the farm system, along with closer Brian Wilson. Sabean added Brad Penny late this season, though his acquisitions of Freddy Sanchez and Ryan Garko didn't pay off.

Bochy, who came on board the year Barry Bonds broke Hank Aaron's all-time homers record, guided this year's team to more wins than generally expected.

In an interview with The Chronicle, Neukom said he expects the Giants' active payroll to rise in 2010.

"I anticipate that in terms of actual dollars of people playing for the Giants between the lines, it should be an uptick from this year," said Neukom, adding the Giants will deploy a "360-degree radar" in the trade and free-agent markets over the winter.

On whether that means the Giants would consider elite hitters such as Jason Bay or Matt Holliday, Neukom said, "I wouldn't rule out anybody at this point."

The Giants have lots of money coming off the books from expiring contracts, about $28 million for Dave Roberts, Bengie Molina, Randy Winn and Randy Johnson. But Lincecum and Wilson, entering arbitration for the first time, are due big raises.

Great game overall. Sad to see Aurilia go, but it was a long time coming. Also glad to see him end it with the Giants and a win, just too bad that last hitdidn't drop.

It's sad to see Richie go. He's done a lot for the team on the field for so many years. His 2001 season was monstrous and he's one of my all-timefavorite Giants.

However, his departure was probably a year too late.

Stupid news alert.
mad.gif

2ld94rt.jpg

There is no possible way for me to smile knowing that Brian Sabean will be back in 2010, but most of us already had a feeling that he'd be back.

Originally Posted by Tim Lincecum

Stupid news alert.
mad.gif

2ld94rt.jpg

There is no possible way for me to smile knowing that Brian Sabean will be back in 2010, but most of us already had a feeling that he'd be back.

AND Bruce Bochy.

increased salary?

SWEET! More money for Sabean to sign over the hill "vet" players, and Bochy to play them even if they arent doing $%*# and there's a rookie inthe wings waiting to get their shot.
Molina and Sanchez must be salivating at the thought
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom