***SF Giants 2009 Season Thread (88-74)***

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by Uter Zorker

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Wait a minute, somebody remind me why Madison Bumgarner is a top 10 prospect? That was incredibly anti climactic.
What game were you watching? Dude was called up on the spot probably thinking he was going to be playing Xbox at 7 PM not starting for a team in the playoff race. By being called up he WAS THE YOUNGEST ACTIVE PLAYER IN THE MAJORS and still threw 5.1 innings only giving up 2 runs.

@%*! outta here.
I'm looking at it from a scouting perspective.

He only hits 88-90 MPH on the gun, I've been hearing 92-95 that touches 97 either he has seen a drastic drop in velocity or scouts are lying, his fast ball is nothing near plus and his slider was very soft and had no third pitch to speak of.

He looked nothing like a future ace like some scouting reports were touting him to be.

If im a giants fan I'm worried.
grin.gif
They're saying the drop in velocity is due to fatigue. At least I hope that's the case.

For the first time ever, I completely whole heartedly agree with OKB. Any excuse or rationalization you can throw at me does not change what I saw. I know hisstats. I know his reputation. I know how high everyone is on him. I know how little time he had to prepare. I know he threw a few days prior. All that aside,it doesnt change what I saw.

Im curious about one thing. For those of you who have never seen him.......were you impressed? Put all circumstances and minor league stats aside. From whatyou saw....were you impressed? Id be shocked if anyone can honestly answer yes.

If he was a 10 year vet i would not be impressed, but you CAN NOT throw away the circumstances he was pitching in, you just cant.

He's not flashy, he came across as a finesse guy.

As a 20 year old kid that he is, I was impressed that he came through virtually unscathed aside from the dingers.

People shouldn't expect every new arm that comes up to be a carbon copy of Tim or Matt. It's unrealistic, and unfair.

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

As a 20 year old kid that he is, I was impressed that he came through virtually unscathed aside from the dingers.
I was impressed with the mental makeup of Madison. Yeah he gave up 2 solo shots, but in those innings he gave up these solo shots, he came back toget the next guy out and he minimized the damage.

People shouldn't expect every new arm that comes up to be a carbon copy of Tim or Matt. It's unrealistic, and unfair.
I agree, it is unfair to Madison. Last year, Madison pitched 141.2 innings. This year, Madison pitched 131.1 innings in the minors plus the 5.1innings he pitched here in the bigs. Before then, he just came out of high school. He is looking to eclipse his innings pitched this year. I believeBumgarner's drop in velocity is due to a dead arm period.

He's not flashy, he came across as a finesse guy.

Your missing my point,
The left-hander debuted in pro ball with one pitch -- though that offering was a plus, plus fastball that easily hits the mid-90s with good late life.
Bumgarner has a plus, plus fastball that clocks in around 95 regularly. He has topped out at 99 MPH. His fastball has an incredible amount of movement, as it tails and even sinks sometimes when he keeps it low in the zone.

Fastball: 92-94 MPH, consistently. Approximately 32 of Bumgarner's 45 pitches were fastballs

He was supposed to be another Timmy or Cain, that is the reason he was the 6th best prospect in baseball, a guy with aplus plus fast ball and elite command. I've been hearing from other dudes in the scouting comunity they have never seen him in the mid 90's in person, he was struggling to hit 90 in that start. Like I said he was NOT supposed to be a fineness guy, he has no breaking pitches, his change up is just a home runwaiting to happen and I was not impressed with the movement on his fastball.

Like I said, after Tim Alderson's drop in velocity (the prospect you traded to the Pirates) and now Madison Bumgarner I would be worried about how yourorganization is treating pitchers.

Remember Timmy used to be 95-97 no he is 91-94 as well...like I said id be worried.

Im in Surprise AZ actually. Just got to my parents house like 45 minutes ago. Its about a 20 minute drive to the football stadium....and a 35 minute drive tothe Diamondbacks stadium...which I will be going to tomorrow night.

But obviously....I cannot wait for Sunday.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Originally Posted by dland24

But obviously....I cannot wait for Sunday.
pimp.gif

I'm on Fitz-Madden-Curse watch
nerd.gif

I wish I had the time (and money) to blowup a picture of the madden cover for a poster for the game. God I hate Arizona fans.

Just write "THE MADDEN CURSE IS COMING, FITZGERALD" with a sharpie.

Or something along those lines.

Eww, that du-rag on Sandoval is disgusting.

Back
Top Bottom