Shaq one of the 50 Greatest Players in just 3 seasons? How?

I know he was dominating but he only played 3 seasons. I know the snubs were pissed. I think it was too early to put him on a list like that

That's just crazy.

I was hella confused for a sec. I realized you meant when the original list came out.

Just looked up the exact date, it came out October 29, 1996.

I remember the media and former players did rip the NBA for putting Shaq on there. :lol:

Come to think of it, it is kinda crazy/weird. The list came out in '96 so yeah that's 3 years.

You guys are acting like dude shouldn't be on the list now.

They put him on the list for a reason. There's only a handful of guys who would be put ahead of Shaq.

I get what some of you are saying, because he's only played 3 seasons before the list came out. That certainly isn't enough time to judge a body of work and justify him being one of the 50 greatest players ever, but dude was a BEAST when he came into the league. Most of you guys are too young to even remember Shaq playing during his first 5 years.

Needless to say--No one is saying he shouldn't be on the list now.

BTW, I think they need to do a revision of that list. They should revise it now, but maybe in 2021. That would be 25 years after the original list was made.

Last edited:
Still don't understand how Dominique Wilkins didn't make it.

call me crazy, but he was a bit over rated. i think he belongs in the list but i can see an argument for him not as well.
what's the difference between nique and vince (who i think is better)?

call me crazy, but he was a bit over rated. i think he belongs in the list but i can see an argument for him not as well.

yea hes better at dunking thats it

difference is Nique was a better scorer and rebounder

what in the hell would make you put Vince over Nique?

You guys are acting like dude shouldn't be on the list now.

They put him on the list for a reason. There's only a handful of guys who would be put ahead of Shaq.

I get what some of you are saying, because he's only played 3 seasons before the list came out. That certainly isn't enough time to judge a body of work and justify him being one of the 50 greatest players ever, but dude was a BEAST when he came into the league. Most of you guys are too young to even remember Shaq playing during his first 5 years.

Needless to say--No one is saying he shouldn't be on the list now.

BTW, I think they need to do a revision of that list. They should revise it now, but maybe in 2021. That would be 25 years after the original list was made.

I remember his Magic days. I was already in HS then. He really was a beast. And there's no doubt he should be in there, seeing as how his career has played out. I guess what OP was getting at is that it was a ballsy call by the voters to include him in after just 3 seasons. It was just a pretty small sample size no matter which way you put it.

If the 50 Greatest Players list came out in the summer of 2006, would you make the same thread if LeBron was included?  I dont think you would.

call me crazy,but he was a bit over rated. i think he belongs in the list but i can see an argument for him not as well.

you do realize he is a top 15 scorer all time in the league...cats see the highlights of the dunking but Nique put up points

as for Shaq... dude made it because at that time he was putting up better numbers than Ewing, Robinson, Olajuwon & Zo.

And I know if the NBA did that list 3 years after LBJ entered the league he wouldve been on it too. Some players (barring injury) are destined for greatness

Last edited:

9 time All-Star, Scoring Champ in 86, ALL-NBA First-Team in 86, 4x All-NBA 2nd team, 2x All-NBA 3rd team, and 2x Dunk Champ. Amongst other stats worth stating..

That was a little ridiculous. If Shaq's career ended in February 1997, no way would he have been one of the top 50 greatest ever at that point.

I think they gave it to him because it was obvious that he would become top 50 and higher than that simply by just playing a couple of more seasons.

ahh yes I remember the controversy

I thought Shaq was a lock to be a future hall of famer

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom