Shoe recommendations for performance and value

It's time for me to grab a new pair of shoes for hoopin', and I figured I'd see what the gurus in the shoe review forum had to say. I'mconcerned strictly about performance (and not 'hotness'), but my needs are somewhat unique. For example, the shoes I typically like:

1. Accommodate wide feet (think ZK1 wide)
2. Have outriggers for stability (or are inherently stable)
3. Have about a mid (3/4) cut with good range of ankle movement (not really into highs or lows).
4. Have decent cushioning (zoom bb1s weren't quite enough)
5. Lightweight with good traction
6. Are currently cheap. I'm willing to resort to eBay for ball shoes, but I don't like to pay over 70-80 for a pair, if possible.

I'm 5'9, like to dribble drive and weave through defenses, so lateral stability is a must. I'm also a pretty aggressive rebounder and some mighteven call me a high flyer (at 5'9, I can grab rim consistently... it's not that high, but my feet and knees take a beating).

Shoes I've liked in the past are:
1. Zoom Flight Turbine - fit weird, but eventually broke in and was fine. The outrigger wasn't great, though, and I busted my ankles in these all the time.Everything else was great, though.
2. ZK1 - this is pretty much as good as it's gotten for me, so far. The cut is a little high, but not too restrictive, so I was okay with it. A bit of heelslip in these, which is the only thing I'd look for improvement on.
3. Jordan XX 3/4 - This is about the cut I like (maybe a LITTLE higher), and great impact protection, but traction wasn't great, and the midsole was a bitthick for my liking.

Shoes that didn't work out:
1. Zoom BB Low - cut was a little low for my liking, and cushioning was kind of insufficient. My feet felt beat up after an hour or two, and on hard landings.
2. adidas Gil Zero - surprisingly, these were really narrow. That pretty much killed it for me.

How would the Huarache 2k8 fit this criteria? Are there any other shoes that fit this criteria that could be had for a good price? I'm looking forward totrying the Zoom Kobe IV (skeptical of the 'lunar foam' forefoot), but I'd have to wait until the price plummets and that might be awhile.

holla

i was going to say go with cdp xix's but... its kinda pricey. btw what sort of cushioning do you need? soft firm or really firm? try the creators, or thexx3 lows.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm a little skeptical when it comes to the xx3. I've heard all sorts of things about how it kills wide feet, and thecut looks a little daring for my liking. As for cushioning, I'm not really sure where on the soft/firm scale I am. I generally don't have problem withany cushioning, as long as it's substantial enough to absorb impact, but I remember distinctly enjoying the zoom turbine and ZK1 cushioning, so that'sprobably about medium firmness.

DONT BE CHEAP, buy yourself some Kobe IIIs or some hyperdunks, you wont regret it. best 2 shoes on the planet. super light, awesome fit.

How about scooping up a pair of XX2's on eBay on the cheap? ZK1's are one of my favorites, too, but the XX2's have an outrigger, are stable, andfit a little wide.

Thanks for the recommendations again!
Unfortunately, I'm going to stay being cheap because I'm not the most paid dude on the planet. I might look into the Kobe 3 if the price drops a bit,but hyperdunks, with their sketchy traction, high cut, and lunar foam are not really what I'm looking for.
I'll definitely check out the XX2s, I was seriously contemplating the xx2 5/8s for awhile, and will definitely swoop if I see them on the cheap.

you can buy yourself hyperdunks, but be ready to buy another in a couple of months if you ball regularly more so if frequently, because the lunar foams onthose insnt quite as durable as zoom.

Hey man check out the Nike Windmills. They have a zoom forefoot, lockdown fit, excellent traction, great ventilation and one of the best heel to toetransitions i've felt in a shoe in a long time. You can find 3 different colorways for $50 at finishline.com and probably more on eBay. The Hyperdunks aregoing down in price soon, i picked up a pair for $55 w/tax at my local Niketown. Also, if the shoe doesn't have to be the newest out, I highly recommendthe Air Force 25's. Hope this helps, good luck!
grin.gif

^the windmills dont have zoom in the ff, its just dual density up there, it has zoom at heel though. and theyre VER VERY light!

Back
Top Bottom