Should everyone in America speak English?

if you live in America do you feel you should speak English? even if it is not your first language do you think it should be required? i was in a heated discussion about this. i think you should speak English. my friend got a car accident with a person that only spoke Spanish she freaked out and the guy managed to get away. 
laugh.gif

everyone in the world should speak English, would make things so much easier in all countries for people from different countries doing business...etc

Nope. This country was built largely by immigrants. They don't need to learn @#$@. The Native Americans even spoke a bunch of different languages.

With that said, learning English can only help someone living in the U.S.

It would help you immensely if you knew it...

But there is a reason we don't have an official language.

Of course everyone should learn how to speak English.

Should everyone in Mexico speak Spanish?
Should everyone in China speak Mandarin?
Should everyone in France speak French?

You may be able to slide by not knowing a language, but it's essential to learn the language of the country you are living in.

Originally Posted by Essential1

It would help you immensely if you knew it...

But there is a reason we don't have an official language.
Why's that?

Originally Posted by zmoney3

everyone in the world should speak English, would make things so much easier in all countries for people from different countries doing business...etc

areyou.jpg

It honestly doesn't bother me they are only hurting themselves. I may be ignorant on the topic because ive never met someone who i couldn't communicate with or had someone readily available who could communicate with them.

Originally Posted by zmoney3

lol que? so why not chinese since its the most populated country in the world? why not indian? 

Of course. If I move to a different country, I have to learn the local language to interact with people and adapt to the society. Why should we be any different? It amazes me how some people who have lived here for years still can't speak English, when my local liquor store owner came to the US from Korea 5 years ago and is fluent in both English and Spanish already

If I were living in a different country, I would learn that country's dominant language to fluency.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Yes but Americans should also be taught foreign languages at a much younger age.

True. I hate people who say "Who cares about different languages? English is the only one that matters" 
sick.gif
 The world is a small place now; with that kind of mindset, you're only holding yourself back from experiencing it

Nope. This country was built largely by immigrants. They don't need to learn @#$@. The Native Americans even spoke a bunch of different languages. 

With that said, learning English can only help someone living in the U.S.

QFT /thread

America is a geographical land mass, so that means that everyone in Central and South America should have to speak English?

Back
Top Bottom