Should the U.S. Install mandatory milatary training for all young adult U.S. Citizens?

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Originally Posted by Nyota de la star

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

I think recently arrived immigrants looking for residency/citizenship and first generation American children of immigrants should be required to serve in the military or some kind of civil duty for a certain amount of hours per week, month, etc.

why? Especially first generation Americans.

Yes why?
Better integration & to support their efforts at being productive members of this country. Even with first generation American immigrant offspring there tends to be some ambivalence from them as to their nationality/allegiance to the US. It seems to especially be the case with the newer waves of immigrants to this country.

I think you're mistaking.

If anything, it's "established Americans"--as in those who've been here for quite a few generations--that tend to forget what this country isall about.

Most, if not all immigrants come to the U.S looking for better opportunities--searching for that American dream which is, a great majority of the time, nothingmore than fiction and/or a farce. But in their pursuit toward said opportunity, many immigrants are productive and hard-working members of society.

First generation Americans tend to be no different--considering their immigrant parents often instill within them those hard-work values.

Furthermore, while you choose to interpret their ethos as "ambivalent", I prefer to view it as "holding on to, or, making an active effort tomaintain ones traditional identity..."; and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

on another note rahm emanuel is the brother of Ari(Ariel) Emanuel who the character Ari Gold in Entourage is based on FYI

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

Originally Posted by Nyota de la star

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

I think recently arrived immigrants looking for residency/citizenship and first generation American children of immigrants should be required to serve in the military or some kind of civil duty for a certain amount of hours per week, month, etc.

why? Especially first generation Americans.

Yes why?
Better integration & to support their efforts at being productive members of this country. Even with first generation American immigrant offspring there tends to be some ambivalence from them as to their nationality/allegiance to the US. It seems to especially be the case with the newer waves of immigrants to this country.

I think you're mistaking.

If anything, it's "established Americans"--as in those who've been here for quite a few generations--that tend to forget what this country is all about.

Most, if not all immigrants come to the U.S looking for better opportunities--searching for that American dream which is, a great majority of the time, nothing more than fiction and/or a farce. But in their pursuit toward said opportunity, many immigrants are productive and hard-working members of society.

First generation Americans tend to be no different--considering their immigrant parents often instill within them those hard-work values.

Furthermore, while you choose to interpret their ethos as "ambivalent", I prefer to view it as "holding on to, or, making an active effort to maintain ones traditional identity..."; and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.
Yes, of course many immigrants are productive members of society, yet many of them still remain at the fringes of society for one reason oranother. The ones that aren't productive or who come here to behave criminally or suck up resources should just be returned to their native countries. Ihave no disdain for hardworking immigrants, just the ones who come here to take advantage. I think most normal people can agree to that.

Giving productive & eager immigrants a push to "volunteer" in some way, would help them become more efficiently integrated, help their owncommunities and allow them to branch out and upward in an easier manner rather than remaining marginalized for a longer period of time, which is often the casewith many new immigrant populations.

As far as "maintaining traditional identity," it's a matter of semantics. That's your preference to see it that way. I see it differently.

Even with first generation American immigrant offspring there tends to be some ambivalence from them as to their nationality/allegiance to the US. It seems to especially be the case with the newer waves of immigrants to this country.
where do you see this happening/how do you determine that?

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Even with first generation American immigrant offspring there tends to be some ambivalence from them as to their nationality/allegiance to the US. It seems to especially be the case with the newer waves of immigrants to this country.

In places throughout Brooklyn and Queens where I've lived. You can tell by observing things said and general attitudes concerning thiscountry compared to that of the country of origin of people's parents. It's a general observation. While some kids embrace being "American,"many others seem to refer to themselves as anything, but - as if it demeans their identity.

looking at the typical kids today i say it is a must to put them in order and stop acting like hooligans.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

In places throughout Brooklyn and Queens where I've lived. You can tell by observing things said and general attitudes concerning this country compared to that of the country of origin of people's parents. It's a general observation. While some kids embrace being "American," many others seem to refer to themselves as anything, but - as if it demeans their identity.

i live in queens, I see exactly what you are talking about. I see it especially in immigrant jews and muslims. it's easy for a first generation child tohave conflicting ideas about being american. i'm first generation and i hate to associate myself as "straight american". our government justseems inept at this point, and our culture of excess is type disgusting. I think it is the unnecessary wars at the moment help that directly lead to thisambivilence.

Back
Top Bottom