Shoulder Dislocation

I dislocated my shoulder for about a second yesterday playing basketball. Didnt feel any real pain when it happened and kept playting but today its been painful and extremely stiff. Has this happened to anyone else and how long did it take you to recover? I've been playing in a pro am league all summer and want to get back as soon as possible. thanks in advance.

I dislocated my shoulder for about a second yesterday playing basketball. Didnt feel any real pain when it happened and kept playting but today its been painful and extremely stiff. Has this happened to anyone else and how long did it take you to recover? I've been playing in a pro am league all summer and want to get back as soon as possible. thanks in advance.

So it popped out and then went right back in?? Sounds like a subluxation of the shoulder. Has happened a few times to me after having fully dislocated both before. Basically just rest it and look up some range of motion exercises, I would advise no basketball or anything of that sort for a couple weeks at least. Look up shoulder subluxation and see what all comes up as far as recovery.

So it popped out and then went right back in?? Sounds like a subluxation of the shoulder. Has happened a few times to me after having fully dislocated both before. Basically just rest it and look up some range of motion exercises, I would advise no basketball or anything of that sort for a couple weeks at least. Look up shoulder subluxation and see what all comes up as far as recovery.

Originally Posted by allstarpg32

The adrenaline kept you going, when you probably should have stopped.  Continuing to play on it probably did more damage than it should have.
Can't blame you though, as an athlete, I would have done the same exact thing.

I say rest it up...and a couple days later see how you feel.

Originally Posted by allstarpg32

The adrenaline kept you going, when you probably should have stopped.  Continuing to play on it probably did more damage than it should have.
Can't blame you though, as an athlete, I would have done the same exact thing.

I say rest it up...and a couple days later see how you feel.

Originally Posted by airblaster503

Subluxations and dislocations are the same thing.

Sounds like you sprained it, but the symptoms are mostly the same. You can never go wrong with icing it.

Sounds like you sprained it, but the symptoms are mostly the same. You can never go wrong with icing it.

Originally Posted by rashi

Dislocation has to be reset, subluxation is basically where it pops out slightly and resets on its own without much damage to the shoulder.  A dislocation is much more serious since the shoulder is displaced more and for a longer period.

Dislocation has to be reset, subluxation is basically where it pops out slightly and resets on its own without much damage to the shoulder.  A dislocation is much more serious since the shoulder is displaced more and for a longer period.

Dude, believe me. They are the same thing, I specialize in orthopaedics. Subluxations is a fancy word mainstreamed by Chiropractors for billing purposes, and has a different meaning than how we use it in orthopaedics. There are different Grades that are associated depending on the severity of the tear of the ligament stabilizing the joint capsule. They both have to be reset or can go back in by itself, whether it "does it on its own" depends on the person and severity.

Dude, believe me. They are the same thing, I specialize in orthopaedics. Subluxations is a fancy word mainstreamed by Chiropractors for billing purposes, and has a different meaning than how we use it in orthopaedics. There are different Grades that are associated depending on the severity of the tear of the ligament stabilizing the joint capsule. They both have to be reset or can go back in by itself, whether it "does it on its own" depends on the person and severity.

ive dislocated my left about 3 or 4 times - to the point of cracking/popping and scar tissue buildup. Dont let it get to that point, see a doctor and get into resistance bands exercises and stuff like that to strengthen the muscles around it.

ive dislocated my left about 3 or 4 times - to the point of cracking/popping and scar tissue buildup. Dont let it get to that point, see a doctor and get into resistance bands exercises and stuff like that to strengthen the muscles around it.

Back
Top Bottom