SI: Your Sneakers or Your Life (1990 article covers hype over Air Jordans)

0514_large.jpg

http://sportsillustrated....ine/MAG1136895/index.htm

This is really an interesting read for anyone that wants to know about when the hysteria of Jordans began or cares about the shoes more than a release date and 'wear to cawp'

Originally Posted by labarron

Its truly sad but thats still happens every year....

Yes it does.  However, America, especially Black America had a different mind-state back in the late 80s and early 90s, the end of the Crack Era and Gang-Banging was in full-force.  I remember Bred XIs were banned from Chicago Public Schools b/c of Vice Lords wearing them.

what a well written article back in 90'.  It sure is sad that this has even continued since 90' and interesting to read MJ's quote in response to deaths say, "Everyone likes to be admired, but when it comes to kids actually killing each other"—he pauses—"then you have to reevaluate things"...well, mike/nike what have you done?  I know its not all their fault b/c society is really to blame for this but the outrageous prices is what lead to this.  There high prices set the tone for an high class image of "the air jordan".  I don't want to sound salty, hell, i have been a NT member since 01 and have been obsessed with sneakers since I was a lil kid.  The game is as hot as ever...lets just hope people can learn from others mistakes. 

Originally Posted by spenna316

what a well written article back in 90'.  It sure is sad that this has even continued since 90' and interesting to read MJ's quote in response to deaths say, "Everyone likes to be admired, but when it comes to kids actually killing each other"—he pauses—"then you have to reevaluate things"...well, mike/nike what have you done?  I know its not all their fault b/c society is really to blame for this but the outrageous prices is what lead to this.  There high prices set the tone for an high class image of "the air jordan".  I don't want to sound salty, hell, i have been a NT member since 01 and have been obsessed with sneakers since I was a lil kid.  The game is as hot as ever...lets just hope people can learn from others mistakes. 

Nike/MJ only care about the bottom line and we all have heard about the concerns over the decline in quality since the 90s, which makes things worse. Even worse than the violence is Nike/JB's human rights resume, which is/has been arguably the worse of any international corporation of the past 20-25 years or so.   

"Something is very wrong with a society that has created an underclass that is slipping into economic and moral oblivion, an underclass in which pieces of rubber and plastic held together by shoelaces are sometimes worth more than a human life. The shoe companies have played a direct role in this. With their million-dollar advertising campaigns, superstar spokesmen and over-designed, high-priced products aimed at impressionable young people, they are creating status from thin air to feed those who are starving for self-esteem."

this @!$@ wasnt happing on relese day back in 1990, this @!$@ was happing on the streets, jiggas would just run up to you and shoe jack ya!!! dont get it twisted!

Originally Posted by ekhunter1

this @!$@ wasnt happing on relese day back in 1990, this @!$@ was happing on the streets, jiggas would just run up to you and shoe jack ya!!! dont get it twisted!

exactly, its not like there was a mob of people at a store on RD and things went left
for the most part a kid would be in the wrong place at the wrong time and like the article said these items were hot at the time and so was violence

so we all know what the outcome was, now days the stuff happens in front of the store everyone grabbed a pair from because others missed out

I remember reading this a few years ago... ridiculous. Good read though, I was born 
in1988, so it was interesting to read about what was happening with these when I was

an infant.

^^^^"Something is very wrong with a society that has created an underclass that is slipping into economic and moral oblivion, an underclass in which pieces of rubber and plastic held together by shoelaces are sometimes worth more than a human life. The shoe companies have played a direct role in this. With their million-dollar advertising campaigns, superstar spokesmen and over-designed, high-priced products aimed at impressionable young people, they are creating status from thin air to feed those who are starving for self-esteem."

Its a damn shame. I felt dirty buying my concords knowing that earlier that day people were getting beat and stabbed for them. I cant decide which is worse, the way the violence went down back then or the fact that its still an issue today.

Back
Top Bottom