Skateboard experts come in, I want to learn how to skate

i want to learn how to be like mike...someone plz teach me
smile.gif

Ive been skating almost everyday since I was 14. Im 22 now.

If you are serious about it and honestly want to get good. The best/fastest way to get better is to skate with people that are better then you. And if youthink your going to get good by skating once or twice a week for a couple of hours, you are highly mistaken. Also, if your scared to fall, you might as wellback out now.

However, if your not, I suggest you push around and ollie all day everyday. Until you can ollie up curbs and off curbs you should not try any other tricks. Thehardest trick to learn is the ollie, its hard to perfect, but its the base of all tricks, if you cant ollie then you really wont be able to do anything else.

As far as what you should learn after the ollie, just try any and everything. All this mumbo jumbo about going from ollies to pop shovs and then to kick flipsand so on and so on is bolagna. As soon as I could ollie my next trick was a fakie trey flip. I still can barley kickflip but I can nollie heel a ten stair ez

Also. Depending on what size shoe you wear will most likely depend what size deck you get. I wear a size 12 and im a pretty tall guy so I mostly ride a 8.25.

This is my setup:
size 8.25 Krooked (best deck out there, also could get a Real or an Antihero [same wood])
8.25 thunder high trucks
53 spitfires
swiss bearrings

If your serious, good luck and have fun. If your getting your poser #!#% on, good luck lol.

Originally Posted by TheFoteenth

Also. Depending on what size shoe you wear will most likely depend what size deck you get. I wear a size 12 and im a pretty tall guy so I mostly ride a 8.25.

This is my setup:
size 8.25 Krooked (best deck out there, also could get a Real or an Antihero [same wood])
8.25 thunder high trucks
53 spitfires
swiss bearrings

If your serious, good luck and have fun. If your getting your poser #!#% on, good luck lol.
Lately I don't have the time to go skate with my friends but you think I can get comfortable and learn to ollie on my own. I'm going tobe practicing everyday for an hour or more after work.

the foteenth . . not knocking your post but . . .

"you can barely kickflip but you can nollie heel a 10 easy?" ummm either u bypassed a lot of fundamentals or im calling ducktales.

and eelbaby, is john street still the mayor of philly? i flew there just to visit love park . . and i was happy just to see it, but as far as i know love parkis dead. id recommend taking your skating somewhere else so u dont get harassed.

im gonna post this in every one of these threads . . . dont listen to people telling u that one brand is the best. it's a matter of preference of shape anddesign . . . many major brand name companies share the same board manufacturers. ie: if someone tells u that girl is better than chocolate, that is theirpreference, as they use the same wood.

if you have fun rolling and are persistent, and dont feel self-conscious learning, the rest will take care of itself.

It depends on your size.

I'm about 145 lbs, 5'7.

and I ride a 7.8 deck, some prefer 7.75, but I like it a little wider.

For the trucks, just get a size that's shorter than the deck width.
Go with small wheels, bigger wheels tends to be a little slower and can scratch the graphic more easily than smaller wheels.

Go with red Bearings, the 15$ should be fine and they last a long time.

For shoes... umm, that's your choice, because some prefer thick and long lasting skate shoes "Nike" and some prefer more flexible, but can beruined faster "Vans".

Deck: Plan B or Bakers
Trucks: Royals
Bearings: Reds
Wheels: I prefer Spitfire and Bakers
Shoes: P-Rods

I'm going to be real. You are most likely going to drop it,skateboarding takes a lot of dedication and you'll go through shoes like no other. It's also good to skateboard with friends, you don't have to. I skate a lone 95% of the time, and toget good your going to have to skate almost everyday.

My setup
Deck - DGK 7.5
Wheels - Spitfire (forgot size)
Trucks - Independent
Bearings - Lucky

1 of 1. Do you even skate? If you do, you would know every skater doesnt get every trick. I can kickflip. Does it look good? No. Is it very sketchy when I landit? Yes. But can I backside and frontside flip? Yes, extremely well I might add.

My trey flips are eh too but my fakie treys are pretty damn perfect. But hey, I see why you would call duck tales, it doesnt make sense to me either.

- decks....try GIRL,ANTI HERO,PLAN B,REAL,KROOKED,ZOO YORK,they're all good deck companies
- trucks....THUNDERS,INDEPENDENT TRUCKS OF COURSE,VENTURE.
- bearings...RED BONES,BLACK PANTHER,SWISS BEARINGS
- wheels....SPITFIRE THAT'S ALL I SKATE
- shoes.....VANS HALF CABS ARE REAL GOOD,LAKAI HAS REALLY GOOD SKATE SHOES,NIKE SB ZOOM TRE A.D LAST SO LONG

Sorry for the caps these are just a few of my suggestions
Any more questions just ask.

Originally Posted by 1 of 1

the foteenth . . not knocking your post but . . .

"you can barely kickflip but you can nollie heel a 10 easy?" ummm either u bypassed a lot of fundamentals or im calling ducktales.

and eelbaby, is john street still the mayor of philly? i flew there just to visit love park . . and i was happy just to see it, but as far as i know love park is dead. id recommend taking your skating somewhere else so u dont get harassed.

im gonna post this in every one of these threads . . . dont listen to people telling u that one brand is the best. it's a matter of preference of shape and design . . . many major brand name companies share the same board manufacturers. ie: if someone tells u that girl is better than chocolate, that is their preference, as they use the same wood.

if you have fun rolling and are persistent, and dont feel self-conscious learning, the rest will take care of itself.
Yeah John Street is still mayor. When did you visit? There are still a lot of people skating there, mainly summer.

All we basically do is skate and when we see 5-0 we bounce and when they leave we come right back to Love Park

i went there before it got changed, so prob like five years ago . . anyways that's really sick that you can still go there . . if you havent watched ityet, youtube stevie williams chocolate tour and brian wenning photosynthesis. that'll hype you up to go to love a lot more.

the foteenth . yes i skate. if you can do what you say can, more power to you. it's all for fun either way.

Do the opposite of everything you see Chris Brown do in this video:

Penis pushing is DEFINITELY unappreciated!!

But in all seriousness, I'm sure others have said this, but you just gotta skate everywhere. The more you are on your board, the more you will get used toit. To be honest don't try to even start learning tricks yet, first of all just get comfortable with your board, then move on to learning flip tricks andall that.

May be biased but I never ride anything other than GIRL decks.
And always remember that a grown man on anything smaller than a 7.5 is just ridiculous.

Skateboarding takes alot of hard work. It's just like anything you do in life. Work at it and you'll be good. Skate with friends but just keep skating.Some people just pick things up easily but try to find your comfort zone with skating and keep progressing. Start with the ollie and if the kickflipdoesn't work try a half-cab or 180. I need to skateboard again. I miss the freedom and just going to spots and having fun.

Video 1 talks about dedication, video 2 talks about execution. Lots of unbelievable trick sequences, too, for your viewing enjoyment. Rodney Mullen is unreal.

Odd I came across this thread.

Skated a lot from about '00-'04, loved it. Dropped it once basketball got serious, and haven't done it since I've been playing university ball.

But lately, like for the past three months, I can't stop thinking about it. I'm on TheBerrics website everyday, and play EA's skate. daily. Ibought two pairs of HalfCabs on boxing day, and once my season is done, am gonna go set up a board.

Reading you guys talk about board width made me realize that's one part I really didn't know anything about.

I'm 6'4'', 210, with sz 13 feet, should I be skating 8''+ decks? I've skated Popwar, Enjoi, Zero, Girl, and my local shop blanks.All this talk about Krooked has me thinking I'll give em a try, my Zero deck was prolly my favorite one.

If you're not sure how serious you are go get a complete. Outside chance some legit places will have some leftovers from Christmas otherwise maybe SportsAuthority will have something. Since the bearings won't be that fast it won't get away from you as much and you can work on your pushing (with yourback foot). Trucks will probably be better off tight to begin with so the board doesn't wobble too much but should eventually be loosened a bit so you canturn easier when rolling at a decent speed. If the graphics are lame get some stickers or spray paint.

Work on skating around comfortably and stopping. I saw way too many people hopping off their longboards the other day and scooping them up after. DO NOT DOTHAT! Powerslides and the like will come later so in the meantime the simple backfoot drag works fine for slowing down or stopping.

Get your ollies down and progress from there at your own pace. Whatever tricks (if you decide to learn them) come easiest will probably be the best instantgratification and may become your go to tricks later. Unless your ollies are solid don't get ahead of yourself though. Just about everything builds uponthat trick.

Board size is all personal preference although generally bigger people/feet = bigger boards. Sean Payne who used to be on Think/Enjoi is like 6' 6"with size 13 feet and rode 7.5 boards last time I saw him skate but then he's ultra skinny and light footed. On the flip side I skated with this 5'5" kid with size 8 feet who rode only 8 boards.

Get some shoes with some generally flat soles. Probably can find some Vans or IPaths or something at ROSS. Air bubbles are kind of unnecessary unless youhave a heel bruise or maybe want to use them to go to the gym also. I find they only make the shoe more bulky and are more likely to cause ankle sprains butthat's just me.

i just started skateboarding as too. i got the ollie down on my 4th day of practicing it. its not a high ollie but its a descent lol. last friday i learned howto drop in.

This is my board, but im not goin into much detail.
Girl deck
Fury trucks
Bones wheels
Bones Swiss Bearings (GET THESE BEARINGS, THEY ARE REAL GOOD)

my setup..

deck: girl (brandon beibel) hes a local and skates for my spot, FTC!!

trucks: aces

wheels: spitfires 52

bearings: reds & bones

Back
Top Bottom