Smart people drink (and smoke) more

Smart People Drink, Dope, and Smoke
Ronald Bailey | December 20, 2010

Researchers find in a new study published in the Review of General Psychology that people with higher IQs are more likely to try out and enjoy mind-altering sutbstances than their dimmer compatriots. As the abstract reports:

Quote:
[table][tr][td]Why do some individuals choose to drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, and use illegal drugs while others do not? The origin of individual preferences and values is one of the remaining theoretical questions in social and behavioral sciences. The Savanna-IQ Interaction Hypothesis suggests that more intelligent individuals may be more likely to acquire and espouse evolutionarily novel values than less intelligent individuals. Consumption of alcohol, tobacco, and drugs is evolutionarily novel, so the Savanna-IQ Interaction Hypothesis would predict that more intelligent individuals are more likely to consume these substances. Analyses of two large, nationally representative, and prospectively longitudinal data from the United Kingdom and the United States partly support the prediction. More intelligent children, both in the United Kingdom and the United States, are more likely to grow up to consume more alcohol. More intelligent American children are more likely to grow up to consume more tobacco, while more intelligent British children are more likely to grow up to consume more illegal drugs.[/td][/tr][/table]
Based on data from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health. Psychology Today also reported:

Quote:
The following graph shows the association between childhood intelligence, measured in junior high and high school, and adult alcohol consumption seven years later in the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health (Add Health) data in the United States. The association is clear and nearly monotonic. The more intelligent Americans are in their childhood, the more alcohol they consume as young adults.

48915-37303.jpg

It is important to note that both income and education, as well as childhood social class and parents' education, are controlled in multiple regression analyses of these data from the US and the UK. It means that it is not because more intelligent people occupy higher-paying, more important jobs that require them to socialize and drink with their business associates that they drink more alcohol. It appears to be their intelligence itself, rather than correlates of intelligence, that inclines them to drink more.

http://reason.com/blog/20...people-drink-dope-and-sm

drink and
pimp.gif
up.

Smart People Drink, Dope, and Smoke
Ronald Bailey | December 20, 2010

Researchers find in a new study published in the Review of General Psychology that people with higher IQs are more likely to try out and enjoy mind-altering sutbstances than their dimmer compatriots. As the abstract reports:

Quote:
[table][tr][td]Why do some individuals choose to drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, and use illegal drugs while others do not? The origin of individual preferences and values is one of the remaining theoretical questions in social and behavioral sciences. The Savanna-IQ Interaction Hypothesis suggests that more intelligent individuals may be more likely to acquire and espouse evolutionarily novel values than less intelligent individuals. Consumption of alcohol, tobacco, and drugs is evolutionarily novel, so the Savanna-IQ Interaction Hypothesis would predict that more intelligent individuals are more likely to consume these substances. Analyses of two large, nationally representative, and prospectively longitudinal data from the United Kingdom and the United States partly support the prediction. More intelligent children, both in the United Kingdom and the United States, are more likely to grow up to consume more alcohol. More intelligent American children are more likely to grow up to consume more tobacco, while more intelligent British children are more likely to grow up to consume more illegal drugs.[/td][/tr][/table]
Based on data from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health. Psychology Today also reported:

Quote:
The following graph shows the association between childhood intelligence, measured in junior high and high school, and adult alcohol consumption seven years later in the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health (Add Health) data in the United States. The association is clear and nearly monotonic. The more intelligent Americans are in their childhood, the more alcohol they consume as young adults.

48915-37303.jpg

It is important to note that both income and education, as well as childhood social class and parents' education, are controlled in multiple regression analyses of these data from the US and the UK. It means that it is not because more intelligent people occupy higher-paying, more important jobs that require them to socialize and drink with their business associates that they drink more alcohol. It appears to be their intelligence itself, rather than correlates of intelligence, that inclines them to drink more.

http://reason.com/blog/20...people-drink-dope-and-sm

drink and
pimp.gif
up.

Don't believe everything that you read... and from my observances of people in real life, this article is bogus.

I have a "higher IQ" than most, yet, I don't drink nor smoke.
ohwell.gif

Don't believe everything that you read... and from my observances of people in real life, this article is bogus.

ohwell.gif

well..... a "bright/very bright" junior high student would be in college "7 years later"...

that might skew the data.... the social habits(partying) that comprise college life...

well..... a "bright/very bright" junior high student would be in college "7 years later"...

that might skew the data.... the social habits(partying) that comprise college life...

Originally Posted by VietStar

ohwell.gif
Not sure if srs, but regardless, you'd just be an exception to the rule....as there are in many "scientific" findings of Psychology....
laugh.gif

ohwell.gif
Not sure if srs, but regardless, you'd just be an exception to the rule....as there are in many "scientific" findings of Psychology....
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

Originally Posted by taimaishu123

drink and
pimp.gif
up.
It's not like it's saying if you drink and smoke you'll become smarter.
laugh.gif
that was for all the smart ppl that already drink/smoke. are you one of them???? haha. look what i found..

Cliff Clavin explains the "Buffalo Theory":

“Well, you see, Norm, it’s like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it’s the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

Originally Posted by taimaishu123

drink and
pimp.gif
up.
It's not like it's saying if you drink and smoke you'll become smarter.
laugh.gif
that was for all the smart ppl that already drink/smoke. are you one of them???? haha. look what i found..

Cliff Clavin explains the "Buffalo Theory":

“Well, you see, Norm, it’s like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it’s the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

I can believe it. Something happens to the psyche when you drink and smoke that, if you know how to properly use it, you can take advantage of it and tap into sides of yourself that you wouldnt otherwise. Or it might just enhance it.

I can believe it. Something happens to the psyche when you drink and smoke that, if you know how to properly use it, you can take advantage of it and tap into sides of yourself that you wouldnt otherwise. Or it might just enhance it.

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

ohwell.gif
laugh.gif
I meant to say that I know many who don't drink/smoke yet they are "smarter" than those who do drink/smoke...from my observations.

So it's not just an exception.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

ohwell.gif
laugh.gif
I meant to say that I know many who don't drink/smoke yet they are "smarter" than those who do drink/smoke...from my observations.

So it's not just an exception.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Yes, I tap into my Casanova psyche...never fails. Haha, this is the best thing I've read all day

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Yes, I tap into my Casanova psyche...never fails. Haha, this is the best thing I've read all day

Back
Top Bottom