Smoke and it's effect on sneakers...

Is it fact or fiction that smoke that lingers in the house ruins shoes?
I have parents that smoke, but I do not... I close my room completely and close it off at the bottom to prevent smoke, however i'm sure they leak through the vents.
Anybody know anything about this topic or have heard or used any techniques?
I've been asked this question a few times, so i'm sure it's not such a bad post.
I use air freshners, air purifers, febreze... etc.

Is it fact or fiction that smoke that lingers in the house ruins shoes?
I have parents that smoke, but I do not... I close my room completely and close it off at the bottom to prevent smoke, however i'm sure they leak through the vents.
Anybody know anything about this topic or have heard or used any techniques?
I've been asked this question a few times, so i'm sure it's not such a bad post.
I use air freshners, air purifers, febreze... etc.

People still smoke inside? That little bit of smoke will not do anything to your shoes but make them smell bad. Maybe if they were smoking in your room by the shoes it may affect them more.

People still smoke inside? That little bit of smoke will not do anything to your shoes but make them smell bad. Maybe if they were smoking in your room by the shoes it may affect them more.

smoke is terrible when it comes to shoes. but if they smell of smoke, leave them out on a sunny (not hot) day. make sure you keep your eye on them though...

smoke is terrible when it comes to shoes. but if they smell of smoke, leave them out on a sunny (not hot) day. make sure you keep your eye on them though...

Anybody have any experiences with smoke and effect on shoes? Especially shoes with clear bottoms.

Anybody have any experiences with smoke and effect on shoes? Especially shoes with clear bottoms.

wanna use a shoe as a bong?
wink.gif

i bought a cheap pair of olive Vs off of ebay a while ago. i got them and i wasn't as thrilled with my steal. they smell like they came out of a chimney and the soles/nets are yellowed, but with that colorway it's not quite a noticeable.

i tried leaving them outside, febreze-ing them, putting a fan inside them while outside... nothing. they still smell like the previous owner smoked 3 packs a day right next to them.

i still wear them but they're known as "those sneakers" because they stick out like a sore thumb.

i bought a cheap pair of olive Vs off of ebay a while ago. i got them and i wasn't as thrilled with my steal. they smell like they came out of a chimney and the soles/nets are yellowed, but with that colorway it's not quite a noticeable.

i tried leaving them outside, febreze-ing them, putting a fan inside them while outside... nothing. they still smell like the previous owner smoked 3 packs a day right next to them.

i still wear them but they're known as "those sneakers" because they stick out like a sore thumb.

I leave all my sneakers in their original box, in my closet... So smoke isn't directly hitting them in any way, atleast not direct smoke (maybe from a vent or other sort of leakage), I just wanted to know if that does anything to sneakers. Thanks.

I leave all my sneakers in their original box, in my closet... So smoke isn't directly hitting them in any way, atleast not direct smoke (maybe from a vent or other sort of leakage), I just wanted to know if that does anything to sneakers. Thanks.

Originally Posted by kopNkicks

Smoke will turn your clear soles yellow and make your nubuck extra dusty......

No way, smoke does nothing but make them smell.

You are fine. Just continue to keep them in the box, in a closed closet.

As an aside, I recall you saying you stack them from the floor up...I suggest not stacking
them directly on the floor.

In terms of yellowing and/or cracking - leaving shoes out in the direct sunlight is
the worst thing you could do to accelerate that process.

It is good that you are aware and concerned about these things - I just hope it is
worth the effort and you get wear out of your shoes & not just leave them be,
slowly rotting in the closet regardless of environment.

You are fine. Just continue to keep them in the box, in a closed closet.

As an aside, I recall you saying you stack them from the floor up...I suggest not stacking
them directly on the floor.

In terms of yellowing and/or cracking - leaving shoes out in the direct sunlight is
the worst thing you could do to accelerate that process.

It is good that you are aware and concerned about these things - I just hope it is
worth the effort and you get wear out of your shoes & not just leave them be,
slowly rotting in the closet regardless of environment.

I noticed that my Space Jam's 2010 (Deadstock), are yellowing around the blue on the bottom. A little part has a very piss yellow look. It's nothing bad, but if you flip the shoe you will notice on the one side. Is it the cheap material used on this shoe, or am I doing something wrong?

I noticed that my Space Jam's 2010 (Deadstock), are yellowing around the blue on the bottom. A little part has a very piss yellow look. It's nothing bad, but if you flip the shoe you will notice on the one side. Is it the cheap material used on this shoe, or am I doing something wrong?

Originally Posted by stevesteve72

I smoked for years in my room with my shoes out on display and all my clear soles turned yellow quick and my nubuck kicksGot super dusty. Now i quit smoking a few years ago and keep all my shoes boxed and now almost all my clear soles and nubucks stay fresh. If you box your kicks after you wear them it shouldn't be a problem, but direct exposure to smoke definitely does damage. Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by stevesteve72

I smoked for years in my room with my shoes out on display and all my clear soles turned yellow quick and my nubuck kicksGot super dusty. Now i quit smoking a few years ago and keep all my shoes boxed and now almost all my clear soles and nubucks stay fresh. If you box your kicks after you wear them it shouldn't be a problem, but direct exposure to smoke definitely does damage. Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom