Sneaker Collecting is dead and is a FAD

I wouldnt say it s dead but it changed and I the current status is crazy and I dislike it.
New releases are being bought up by resellers so people who did not camp has to pay much higher prices. I understand that resellers resell models that are older than 1 year for higher prices. But the way they force the market price that high is to me pure greed and egoism. Many collect sneakers and especially Jordan's because of the Market value and not because of personal attachment or the fact that they are air Jordan's.

Says the guy who has Yeezy's for sale...

Sure, it will be like the years 2007 to 2010 when most releases were quite easy to get because only real Jordan collectors bought them. At the moment, many who wear Jordans neither are Michael Jordan fans. Just like many bulls cap wearers nowadays.

For me the whole culture has changed because people see the profit in the resell.

Back when i was 13 Kids where getting shot for Jordans, pagers, and Bubble Goose Coats.Any one who had the money could go get them, Now it seems everyone has money and you have to pay 3xs to get them.

But its the thrill of the hunt...

Seeing that shoe you want, stalking it down and pulling the trigger bagging a pair for me and my son.

Ill be doing this till nike gives me free shoes even though every year i say im done.

Doesn't matter for me, i been doing this since 96 for the love and memories certain shoes hold for me. If it dies out great easier to cop for me like it was back then.

wrote something about that in my year-end blog lol

below's the sneaker "game" part:
Brand loyalty, it seems, no longer matters. And who’s at fault here—the company that churns out short shelf-life products or the people who propagate belief that for one to be “in”, one has to have “it”? “It” here is not the “je ne sais quoi” of a person but some sort of a replacement that’s usually a material thing. But why would you want to be “in”, why be like everybody else when you know you have that something that makes you stand out? 

To state one example, something I think I know something about, is the “shoe game” here in the Philippines. A decade ago, I was known by my friends for my shoes, which made me come up with my own lyrics to J.Lo’s “Jenny from the Block”: Don’t be fooled by the shoes that I wear/ I’m still, I’m still Dx from over there. I bought Jordans, Vince Carter signature shoes, and And1 when it was golden. I bought those pairs of shoes because I loved wearing them. Nowadays, people would line up overnight just to get a pair of the latest Lebron, Kobe, Jordan, and even KD. They would purchase multiple pairs and then after a few days, sell them for twice the price. 

While I’ve heard of people lining up for kicks abroad, the first encounter I had with such was when Nike Philippines released the Air Zoom Generation First Game, the shoe that then-rookie Lebron James wore during his first NBA season. If I remember correctly, to be able to purchase the shoe, one had to wait in line at the Nike store in Glorietta 4. I passed on it even though only a handful of people showed up, and waited for the Wheat colorway to drop. Needless to say, I picked that up and I still have it on display in my shoe rack despite the wear and tear. I thought that camping for kicks would never be a trend in the Philippines (cue cereal guy spit meme).

I've never lined up for any pair of shoe so far and I hope that I never will. I still buy Nike but I've since expanded my collection to include Adidas and Asics. Now I’m considering starting a New Balance collection just because. It’s good though that I’m not the type to lose sleep over not getting a pair of the latest drops because they are after all, just shoes. More funds for travel is what I say.
blog post here: Yearend post

we've been waiting for it to die for a few year now, and it's now far worse than it has ever been.

i have no idea. ... i guess i will only cop an occasional general release the way things are going.

I have hope for an end. Beasts are starting to move into Vans, Supra, and Polo boots. That's what I've seen at least. It's a slow start, but it won't take much to get the ball rolling.

I think it will die off eventually because JB seems to be re releasing the same retroes at least every 2 years. after a while I think people will get tired of buying the same shoe over and over again. and especially since the price of nike kicks are increasing. I think the reselling game will die off soon as well due to the frequent re releases. I'll give it at least 2 years for this whole "sneaker game" :rolleyes mess to completely die off.

Last edited:
LOL YOU GUYS ARE WILDIN
This sneaker game ain't even that crazy
Most of the world out there can't even afford one Nike shoe, and yall are now mad that it's now harder to buy sneakers when you guys got huge *** collections already.

LOL YOU GUYS ARE WILDIN
This sneaker game ain't even that crazy
Most of the world out there can't even afford one Nike shoe, and yall are now mad that it's now harder to buy sneakers when you guys got huge *** collections already.

Actually it's considerably more hectic. 10 years ago if you wanted a new jordan release you could come back to the store weeks later and still get it. Now people are camped on their computers all night, or on friends computers because they have better wifi :lol:

And people are lining up, getting jumped, and even killed for their shoes. On release day. Read the articles about the boy who just died over the Black cement 4s. Or the kid who died over the Concords. Read those articles, think for a second and tell me that it's not crazy.

People here are basically talking about that.

Actually it's considerably more hectic. 10 years ago if you wanted a new jordan release you could come back to the store weeks later and still get it. Now people are camped on their computers all night, or on friends computers because they have better wifi :lol:
And people are lining up, getting jumped, and even killed for their shoes. On release day. Read the articles about the boy who just died over the Black cement 4s. Or the kid who died over the Concords. Read those articles, think for a second and tell me that it's not crazy.
People here are basically talking about that.
People can get killed over any material goods, ranging from cars, jewelry, clothes, etc. It's nothing new sadly. I just have a problem with how some people in the sneaker community are exaggerating their "trials and tribulations" to obtain Nike and Air Jordan sneakers and complaining about taking an L on a hyped release. I would rather be stressing over unpaid bills than being afraid of a bunch of pubescent kids camping for something I really don't need. Call me back when this is a national issue.

youtube.com/watch?v=mrpPJ_zi8tU

:lol:

Anyway I understand you fam, but everyone is in a different situation

Last edited:
youtube.com/watch?v=mrpPJ_zi8tU
:lol:
Anyway I understand you fam, but everyone is in a different situation
LOL I love that video. Don't get me wrong though, I love the art and design of how Nike and JB make their shoes, but the sodium by some collectors is too damn high.

Back
Top Bottom