Sneakers for Success: Using Kicks As Academic Material to Empower Youth

Sneakers for Success
is an educational non-profit organization using sneaker culture as academic material, connecting with students to create a new outlet for classroom success. We intend to motivate, empower and inspire underrepresented youth by exposing them to opportunities for transforming their passions into tangible achievements.

Teaching students about the numerous facets of the footwear industry creates inroads towards careers in these fields. By relating to them with subject matter they have a vested interest in, our program can be truly revolutionary in the way urban youth approach their studies.

Our pilot program this past December at a Springfield, MA middle school was extremely successful and we're now branching out into other public schools in Massachusetts and New York.

We are hosting our
official launch event on June 28th in NYC! Music + art exhibitions and a film screening of DOIN' IT IN THE PARK
, Bobbito's yet-to-be-released masterpiece!

Please donate and spread the message. Click through for more information!

I appreciate the message. I really do.

What I don't like is people using Niketalk to solely promote stuff without ever actually contributing something to the community. As far as I'm concerned, this is just as tacky as the guy scamming the boards with the Karmaloop codes.

Could you go into further detail as to what you guys do? I'm interested to know. I saw the "What we do" section on the site and I still want more info. Thanks in advance

Sneakers for Success is an educational non-profit organization that allows us to build foundations with students on a level that no teacher or adult in their lives has ever done before.

laugh.gif

Best of luck, but that line is patronizing as +++*. And this is based off of your studies in ONE school? C'mon now.

I gotta disagree Griz...While to me it seems very fledgling at the moment, they seem to have a message that can help the greater good of the sneaker community which is partially what NT is still about. I mean you have posters that post just smiley's...are they contributing anything worthwhile to the content of NT.

I say we let them rock out and see where they can take it. It's better than some of the things i've seen posted on NT.

If this thing blows up, it will still look good on NT's part because undoubtedly NT has influenced the people who made the video in some way. Just hope they pay homage.

Originally Posted by Grizzly Hebert

I appreciate the message. I really do.

What I don't like is people using Niketalk to solely promote stuff without ever actually contributing something to the community. As far as I'm concerned, this is just as tacky as the guy scamming the boards with the Karmaloop codes.
I spoke with Meth about our program and he suggested I utilize the General forum to promote and gauge interest.

I've been an NT member since '06 and I would live to brainstorm ideas on how to create synergy between S4S x NT. There is certainly more value to be created here than just funds raised.

What are some integral things you all think we should have in our curriculum?

___
As for what we do, we bring our knowledge of sneaker culture into the classroom and explore the different aspects of the sneaker industry. By exposing these youth to the inner-workings of the sneaker industry (engineering, marketing, product developments, sales), we intend to elevate them from consumers to power players in this industry.

Bless.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Sneakers for Success is an educational non-profit organization that allows us to build foundations with students on a level that no teacher or adult in their lives has ever done before.

laugh.gif

Best of luck, but that line is patronizing as +++*. And this is based off of your studies in ONE school? C'mon now.
duly noted
laugh.gif

basically sneaker culture being used to support some non sense. Like seriously, leave the culture alone. As if its not already being butt raped enough by resellers and ISS

Originally Posted by Chris Wise

laugh.gif

duly noted
laugh.gif

edited from OP? is this statement on the website?

I'm not entirely clear on what your mission statement is? How exactly are you using sneaker culture to close that gap with reading and math with the youth? Yes you say you guys are helping solve problems (which I think is a good start), but to me it seems vague. How will you guys measure what you have done with the kids? Is it an afterschool component or is it integrated in the school day?

Could you go more into depth? Seems like an alright idea but Niketalk isn't always the best place to promote stuff.

Info on the dime at :47
glasses.gif

Originally Posted by dyyhard

Originally Posted by Chris Wise

laugh.gif

duly noted
laugh.gif
edited from OP? is this statement on the website?

OP had it written in his paragraph explaining the program....I hope it isn't on his website. 

Back
Top Bottom