So Biggie dissed Raekwon in "Who Shot Ya" b/c Rae & Ghost dissed Biggie on "Shark ******"

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

Originally Posted by M16

Originally Posted by M16

Jay did well with the formula didn't he?? You know why... Because Jay is of the same calibur MC as BIG, he was able to balance... Who wants to just be the king of a coast?? Why not be the KING... That's why cats in other states are still bumpin BIG @$!# and not Jeru The Damaja... Hip hop is BIGGER than NY or the east coast, and BIG was one of the first cats in NY to really make it a mission to make music with that spirit... I don't undersstand how a supposed supporter of hip hop could be against expanding... Lyrically every bar the man spit on LAD was up to par, never took a line off... You make a classic, sell 10 million and fans of Jeru The Damaja and the Artifacts diss you...
smh.gif
smh.gif

I mean why didn't any of these guys who are supposidly better than BIG or were makin all this music that was better than his come and take the crown... Carry that torch for the east?? You'd figuire if he wasn't the best, whoever was would've appeared and saved the day right......

The music he was making was specifically for mass appeal and easy listenability, especially LAD. Jeru for example makes music for the more refined hip hop ear, his music is not something that is made to go multi platinum and blasted on MTV. This doesn't mean that BIG was making better quality music, it just means it was more accessible to the average listener. Only way BIG was "king" of anything is if we are talking about sales and popularity.
So who was king?? Jeru The Damaja
laugh.gif

No, there were honestly too many dope MC's at the time to crown a single "king". BIG was the face of east coast rap for most people at the time, I'll give you that though.

OK... So there were TOO many dope MCs... But BIG was the face of the coast... But he wasn't the best??
smh.gif
smh.gif

No he wasn't. He was only the "face" because like I said, he made very easy to get into and marketable music. Best though ? No way in hell. Justin NYC, Nas was better, G Rap is miles better, O.C was better, GZA was better, Lord Finesse was better, Big L was MUCH better..... I can make arguments thateven Prodigy was better. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I can add countless more names of just flat out better rappers than BIG. NYC in the mid 90s wasrunning rampant with superb rappers, BIG was one of them, but not anywhere near the best.

Back
Top Bottom